• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Moderators: easy way to control scammers, please consider

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got two messages from that latest asshole scammer Tommie whatever fake name... I tried to flag his ass last night, but his profile was not reachable. This morning got another scam message from the same profile. 

Someone suggested to set a 10 post limit minimum for messaging or interacting in the classifieds. Why are we making it easy for assholes to create throw-away profiles to commit fraud with impunity? Creating minimum 10 post limit for messaging will make their job much harder and they would need to create a lot of fake temporary profiles and post 10 times something of value. If we keep doing this permissive messaging we are opening up our members to fraud and exploitation. 

We do not want to become another "Airguns Classifieds" type of Wild Wild West ..."everyone for themselves" lottery ticket-type buy/sell situation.

If anyone who is new and does not yet have a 10 post limit for messaging, they can post their question to the forum. Or they can get receiving privileges' but not sending. If you look at other non-airgun web sites they have much much more stringent rules for newcomers. 

Do not want to keep subsiding some asshole scammers' lifestyle...

Reactions: Applejackk
It's not difficult to make 10 posts. A better way would be to charge a monthly fee ( in 3, 6 &12 month blocks) to be a "Supporting Member" and get sell & messaging privileges.

I disagree with this. If I had to pay for these privileges, I would move to another forum. It’s ok to have a donate option to help find a forum that we all use, but requiring a monthly or yearly fee will deter a lot of new members, and lose a lot of old members. Money isn’t the fix for everything. I think the 10 post minimum for messaging privileges is an awesome idea. It will definitely make their scamming harder to do. Will it keep them away altogether? I doubt it, but it will slow them down a lot!

I also agree if they start charging people will drop this site really quick, look at other pay sites that have the same issues with spammers , just use common sense and don’t say ya can’t tell a scammer from legit, if they have been on the site for any length of time and have good member feedback chances are you’ll be fine. In today’s world people have lost the ability of better judgment, I certainly wouldn’t send money to anyone that’s only been on here one day with out previous posts. Or feedback.

I think the minimum post to pm other members is a good idea. It won't stop the scammers but it will slow them down for sure. They are as lazy as can be let's be real. They have used the same cut and paste message for years. All they would do is make the minimum post and disappear to the classified section. If Michael can add some type of script to see if their post are fluff or not that would be great. What about an invite system? Something where members can invite someone else into the forum. This way you would know who invited that person and hopefully those people involved know each other .

Yeah, "Tommie" just reached out to me too replying to my WTB ad. I almost fell for it... I noticed that the exact same message was sent in reply to another WTB ad i created day age. I checked and saw the exact same message (verbatim) was sent from 2 separate account. saw the account was created today. More should be done about scammers...

Invalid username please DM me details.

Status
Not open for further replies.