• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Moderator/suppressor for Daisy/Win 1101?

Not sure if many are familiar with the Daisy/Winchester 1101s, but it's probably my 2nd favorite springer that cost me less than $100 and I want to make some modifications to it. This gun is a magnum Springer, so it's considerably hard to cock (this 177 is much harder than my 22) and doesn't really have anything on the barrel end to help you cock it like many guns have the moderator or air stripper at the end you can grab hold of. I want to take off the front sight post piece (also goes around the barrel, will upload pics if possible) and add a suppressor type device on it instead, anyone done something like this with a AG before? The gun is strictly used as a scoped rifle so the iron sights (well plastic) aren't of usage anymore, and compared to having to slap on the barrel hard af somewhere I'd much rather have a device at the end of the barrel I can use to assist the cocking effort.

Not sure if many are familiar with the Daisy/Winchester 1101s, but it's probably my 2nd favorite springer that cost me less than $100 and I want to make some modifications to it. This gun is a magnum Springer, so it's considerably hard to cock (this 177 is much harder than my 22) and doesn't really have anything on the barrel end to help you cock it like many guns have the moderator or air stripper at the end you can grab hold of. I want to take off the front sight post piece (also goes around the barrel, will upload pics if possible) and add a suppressor type device on it instead, anyone done something like this with a AG before? The gun is strictly used as a scoped rifle so the iron sights (well plastic) aren't of usage anymore, and compared to having to slap on the barrel hard af somewhere I'd much rather have a device at the end of the barrel I can use to assist the cocking effort.
In red above.

I would not...be buying a suppressor to aid as a cocking lever !
The threaded spud does not have a thick enough wall to add that much pressure without it eventually breaking.
It's best to look "closely" at factory done barrel/suppressors to see exactly what and how they made the suppressor part of the barrel.

You "can" buy adapters to adapt a suppressor to a nonthreaded barrel, but again, the threaded section is not...made to use as a lever. It may last a while, but eventually, you may end up with a big chunk of meat taken out of your arm where the broken adapter dug into it !

Find a good machine shop and ask for their help. Show them a "factory" barrel-suppressor combination, and copy that.

Mike

In red above.

I would not...be buying a suppressor to aid as a cocking lever !
The threaded spud does not have a thick enough wall to add that much pressure without it eventually breaking.
It's best to look "closely" at factory done barrel/suppressors to see exactly what and how they made the suppressor part of the barrel.

You "can" buy adapters to adapt a suppressor to a nonthreaded barrel, but again, the threaded section is not...made to use as a lever. It may last a while, but eventually, you may end up with a big chunk of meat taken out of your arm where the broken adapter dug into it !

Find a good machine shop and ask for their help. Show them a "factory" barrel-suppressor combination, and copy that.

Mike
I was thinking of it moreso being attached to AND covering a good bit of the barrel instead of being just an extension yanking on the end, but I definitely see this point.

Certainly people do it all the time. Your barrel dia. may be an issue finding one, easy to make if you cant find one.
https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-crow-mag-short-muzzlebrake?a=2965

And such as that.
John