• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Moderator Quality

You might want to tell us how you want them scored. Some folks put accuracy over silence, some durability over accuracy, you kinda need to tell us what you are looking for in a moderator.

I like my DonnyFLs, your mileage may vary. I like them because they are good about not clipping, don't cause me troubles with accuracy, are quiet enough for me are build solid enough and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Reactions: beerthief
You might want to tell us how you want them scored. Some folks put accuracy over silence, some durability over accuracy, you kinda need to tell us what you are looking for in a moderator.

I like my DonnyFLs, your mileage may vary. I like them because they are good about not clipping, don't cause me troubles with accuracy, are quiet enough for me are build solid enough and don't cost an arm and a leg.
Durability. I'm putting one on a .454 air rifle to quiet it down a little, but it has a lot of fpe and I shoot Speer roundballs so clipping would blow it apart.

Last edited:
Durability. I'm putting one on a .45 to quiet it down a little, but it has a lot of fpe and I shoot Speer roundballs so clipping would blow it apart.
I'd like to try to build that one but you'd better let someone competent do it. :LOL: Good call on the ammo. What is your muzzle velocity?

Reactions: AirGunShooter
Scott -

Are you talking a "firearm" "round-ball" ? As in black powder ?
You left out more details ..!! Details matter !! What diameter ? 141 gn. isn't a diameter .

Airgun suppressors are made for...AIRGUNS, not firearms..!

Mike
You know an engineer can calculate that diameter by extrapolating from the density of lead. You might even find that a 3-second search on the internet will give you a calculator that does that for you. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty911
Intriguing thread for someone fairly new to air guns. I’d love to quiet down my Texan .45 but assumed it wasn’t realistic or possible…
I have seen a subsonic .45 quieted down to a level that I didn't believe it was possible. Also saw a subsonic 9mm that was so quiet you could have shot it in a park full of people and if they didn't see you, they would not have noticed it. You should be able to find something which would quiet that 45 right down, no problem but you may have to look in the PB world to find it. That is going to require a stamp and a BI.

Intriguing thread for someone fairly new to air guns. I’d love to quiet down my Texan .45 but assumed it wasn’t realistic or possible…
The Texan .45 works great with a donnyfl emperor. I personally think due to adding so much length it’s best suited for the carbine version of the Texan if you intend on beating around in the brush with it. Otherwise just attach the emperor once you’ve gotten situated in your tree stand or blind.

Reactions: OldSpook
I have seen a subsonic .45 quieted down to a level that I didn't believe it was possible. Also saw a subsonic 9mm that was so quiet you could have shot it in a park full of people and if they didn't see you, they would not have noticed it. You should be able to find something which would quiet that 45 right down, no problem but you may have to look in the PB world to find it. That is going to require a stamp and a BI.
I am curious about how effective an actual PB suppressor would be on an airgun? Completely different types of materials used so I won't even begin to speculate. Would be interesting if anyone on the forums has a registered unit and would be willing to get some airgun sound reduction data to us.