Moderator maintenance

Should moderators be disassembled and cleaned occasoinally?

Several months ago I purchased a Prophet Performance and a 0db moderator. I have cleaned the barrel a couple of times with a pull through, but currently have a little over 5000 rounds shot through it so removed the barrel for a good cleaning. I was kind of surprised at the amount of fine powdered lead coating the outside of the barrel.
I assume that there is at least as much of this powder in the moderator too.

I looked on 0db web site and find nothing about maintenance.
Any info would be appreciated.

I am pretty sure it just unscrews, but have not tried it yet since I am about 700 miles from home and have been for a few weeks.
I would assume a pin spanner wrench in the two holes on the gun side of it would be where to start.

ModeratorSpanner.jpg

Ahhh just toss that bad boy into the washer for a cycle or two, then throw into the dryer....don't forget the fabric softener. Clean as new! 😃

The 0db can unthread with a spanner, I have taken one apart but never noticed it being dirty. Not sure you would notice any performance difference unless it had some abnormal chunks of lead built up.

I regularly take my Huggett apart to clean the felt-like material within. It gets very dirty, yet nowhere near dirty enough to cause a pellet clipping incident. All of the felt material is held in place via a mesh/screen keeping it against the casing with a skeletonized, open aluminum 'tube' where the pellet travels..
Doesn't hurt a thing to try and make it clean, although the lead in the felt doesn't come completely out and looks dirty, but the lead no longer rubs off.
mike