• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Moderator for RWS 34

Yeah I know a Springer is loud.....BUT I have faith in Donny Fl. The guy is amazing. His sumo made a 2240 mouse fart quiet indoors. (Seriously, unpaid endorsement, if you want a moderator, buy DonnyFl. They are pricy, but they make everything else look like junk. Just buy one and you will be happy. Plus the CS is awesome).

I want to make the gun so quiet all you hear is the spring. Now not to brag, hell I am going to brag😉., I have a legacy Dianawerk RWS 34. I bought it in 1990. It's stamped made in WEST Germany. I bought it used for $124 while the elder Bush was in office. That thing will shot one ragged hole at ten yards. I wouldn't trade it for a new one. So, to get a moderator to fit, I need the barrel diameter. 

Do any of you know what that is? 

Thanks!

go to home depot get a caliper, measure the od and return the caliper if not needed. I measured mine and bought an adapter from Donny, he drilled it th fit my HW95. Fits like factory.

1582096182_7223566325e4cdf36d2ee48.95712931_32.JPG
I put a tanto on it but really didnt make a lot of difference. That 34 is a sweet gun I had one in the late 80s, very accurate.

With your head right next to the gun when you shoot it, it will sound loud from the spring and piston. However, a sound moderator will reduce the sound heard from the muzzle down range. For a springer, I recommend Donny's shorter moderators in order to reduce the chances of clipping. The tatsu is best for that purpose. You'll still hear the spring and piston but you won't really hear the muzzle report and that can be useful.

On barrel diameter, I also believe its 16mm, but to confirm, you will need a caliper. Donny makes a slip-on adapter that works great, and I agree he has great product. Wolf makes a slip-on can in 15mm and 16mm that also works great, costs less, and requires no adapter (thanks, Fang!), but it's longer (adds about 7" to OAL vs about 6" with a Tanto and a slip-on adapter). I have both cans and can't tell the difference on my 19fpe tuned R1 Carbine, but I went with the Tanto because of the shorter length. 

On effectiveness: With it on, my R1 is a little quieter than my nicest tuned HW30 without a moderator. A back-to-back comparison of with vs without reveals a big difference, especially inside (most of my shooting is in my basement). Make no mistake, there is plenty of noise coming from the powerplant, but there is a very noticeable difference, especially for higher-powered springers. For under-the-radar suburban backyard action, it's a nice way to go. 

When using a slip-on type, I might recommend going up a size or two in caliber to help reduce the chance of clipping, since it might not be exactly straight. I have been told on PCP's, you want to match the caliber size to have maximum effectiveness, but I have tried .22, .25, and .30 cans on my R1 and couldn't tell any difference in loudness. Not to say there isn't one, just that I couldn't tell trying them back-to-back. My guess is that any difference isn't heard because of the mechanical noise the remains.