• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Moderator for RAW

I currently have the Silent Thunder Falx on my RAW .25 cal LRT. At 60 - 62 ft lbs of power, I find that it does a stellar job of toning down the beast. I have also had very good results with a Ramus Trident moderator at about $100 dollars more. Both work well and do not introduce any unusual deviations in accuracy. As with all things, your mileage may vary..........
Screenshot 2023-03-22 15.45.17.png

Screenshot 2023-03-22 15.50.41.png

PS, if you want to try a Trident..............pm me.

I've tried quite a few moderators on my .177cal RAW, which is obnoxiously loud. The Impulse 1200 in it's standard configuration is similar in sound reduction to the Tanto or FX moderator, likely a little better. The Impulse 1200 with 1 extra section is the best compromise I've found between size and sound reduction and really does a great job. They are expensive, but they work extremely well. My home brew moderator may have worked a little better, but it weighs 4X as much and is a couple inches longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: qball and rsfrid
I've tried quite a few moderators on my .177cal RAW, which is obnoxiously loud. The Impulse 1200 in it's standard configuration is similar in sound reduction to the Tanto or FX moderator, likely a little better. The Impulse 1200 with 1 extra section is the best compromise I've found between size and sound reduction and really does a great job. They are expensive, but they work extremely well. My home brew moderator may have worked a little better, but it weighs 4X as much and is a couple inches longer.

The RAW’s dwell is way too long, like the good old saying; size matters when trying to tame that bark. Only hope is to go long and you probably need something in the neighborhood or 200mm before you hear significant sound reductions. I have a couple of guns that I can’t not get the dwell low enough and only thing worked is a 200mm long moderator.

Amongst commercially available moderators the STO Sarrisa is probably the longest I know. Or try to get a custom long moderator but make sure it’s 200mm or a bit longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: cavedweller
Kind of gimmicky but for an experiment I took a shrouded harmonic balance from an M3, took the weight off and unscrewed the rear plug. The shroud has an air stripper and fit my 22 1000X fine. then I found a shaft oil seal that fit the ID of the shroud and after removing the spring I was able to get it over the barrel 'nipple'. It was still tight on the barrel and shroud. This alone made a big difference and with a Shumo it is now back yard friendly.
20230415_132755.jpg

Last edited:
Kind of gimmicky but for an experiment I took a shrouded harmonic balance from an M3, took the weight off and unscrewed the rear plug. The shroud has an air stripper and fit my 22 1000X fine. then I found a shaft oil seal that fit the ID of the shroud and after removing the spring I was able to get it over the barrel 'nipple'. It was still tight on the barrel and shroud. This alone made a big difference and with a Shumo it is now back yard friendly.View attachment 348482
That is a clever workaround, and looks great.

Reactions: cavedweller
The RAW’s dwell is way too long, like the good old saying; size matters when trying to tame that bark. Only hope is to go long and you probably need something in the neighborhood or 200mm before you hear significant sound reductions. I have a couple of guns that I can’t not get the dwell low enough and only thing worked is a 200mm long moderator.

Amongst commercially available moderators the STO Sarrisa is probably the longest I know. Or try to get a custom long moderator but make sure it’s 200mm or a bit longer.
This is a dead nuts True statement. ^^^^

I spoke with Mike over at TKO about this for my RAW .25 after he did such a great job on the Moderator for my Feinwerkbau 800FT 20J .

As usual he knew Exactly what to do so i turned him loose, a week later i had my custom 205mm moderator and it does an outstanding job of taming the beast.
I know he also did a custom for a friend of mine in Baton Rouge after Richard saw mine.

There was Zero POI change with mine on either gun, the Feinwerkbau or RAW.

70136306254__D5B24127-BBEF-434C-A3A0-03DF61985437.jpg

70136312227__4F92F9BF-9BCE-4732-A1CE-D3B43C5FB67F.jpg

70136322472__86F4DE27-57F1-40F2-95C0-D44A6A8CE0B3.jpg

Just my two cents,
I purchased a use Ronin here and it is the only moderator I found that made it backyard friendly. I purchased two other used DonnyFL's of different sizes and had one from BuckRail made. None of them were up to para. It's got a big bark. Now if you are in the neighbors yard, all you hear is the pellet slap when it hits the target.

RAW with Ronin.jpg

yeah, i wish i could buy a lighter aftermarket hammer to help with this.

If you really love the look and feel of your RAW and want better/modern performance and have a few extra coins then reach out to @Motorhead. He is the only one I know can do a full “heart and lung” transplant or full internal upgrade( mvalve + hammer and more) that will make these guns simply sublime and whisper quiet.

Just my two cents,
I purchased a use Ronin here and it is the only moderator I found that made it backyard friendly. I purchased two other used DonnyFL's of different sizes and had one from BuckRail made. None of them were up to para. It's got a big bark. Now if you are in the neighbors yard, all you hear is the pellet slap when it hits the target.

View attachment 358497
Sure it a whole lot better than that muffler that comes with RAW guns.