• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Moderator for 50 fpe?

Had one, it was fine. I had to use only three of the four segments on a few different guns or the groups opened up.
It was about the same as my Falx, just a bit sharper tone to my ear.
Thats funny I just read a old comment of you comparing the Mod 4 to the Falx. I wonder why 4 sections caused issues.

I think I’m going to just try the Falx with moderate core. My flow was 600 and STO said I was at the end of the standard and just into the moderate, but the moderate could be used on other cals as the standard is .177/.22 only.

Reactions: Dairyboy
Actually they told me I’m not pushing enough power/air at 11pm, I tried at 30-40fpe and still not that impressed. On my 80 FPE impact the sto isn’t really quieter than my printed moderator or big sumo, slightly different tone but don’t think it’s quieter. YMMV
I have a sub-12ft/lb .177, I've also been disappointed by almost every moderator design I've tried on it. Nothing beats the HW100 moderator I bought 15years ago, despite its totally simple design. https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/hw100-moderator.1080820/

I have hope that I for a new design that will beat it, but the weather turned to crap before I got a chance to try it while I still felt like working on it.

Reactions: qball
The STO Falx with moderate core is not snake oil! I first dry fired inside and it doesn’t hurt my ears, like the Tanto does. I know the Tanto is small but is not far off the new Sumo in tests I have seen.

I shot it outside with pellets and it sounded way different. I heard a noise and was not sure what it was. So I dry fired and I thought the Mav was running out of air as it sounded so soft. I can actually hear the hammer and mechanical noise now. The weird noise was the pellet hitting the rubber mulch trap! It finally sounds like I thought a shrouded airgun with a mod should. The pellet hitting is louder than the gun now. I will accuracy test and chrono later to make sure there are no issues. It can handle up to .30 cal, so I don’t foresee any problems.

My experience is quite different. Not saying Falx is bad but it really depends on the tune. STO moderators are quite effective at max power but at low to mid power level they are not any better or worse compared to some Donny. I owned just about every model Donny made and depends on the tune and power level they also differ in effectiveness. Interestingly the quietest Donny ever made was an old Sumo, partly because they didn’t open up the bore to accommodate clipping and the Falx is much louder.
You are correct about the correlation between moderator bore size and sound reduction. It really matters. In my many years of making moderators, optimum clearance between pellet and bore diameter is .020". Tighter clearance adds negligible value. Unfortunately, most commercial moderators use much more bore clearance to avoid clipping issues caused by barrel to moderator alignment issues, which unfortunately is all too common.