• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Moderator for 50 fpe?

Worth a try, but 50fpe in .25 cal isn’t really high power. These days by high power in .25 is 80 FPE and up and in 22 is 70fpe and up. When I tried the STO moderator they told me i wasn’t shooting at high enough power.
What was your setup when the STO didn’t work? Do you have a favorite moderator besides the old Sumo?

I'm using a Donnyfl Yokozuna on my .25 600mm mk2 , which is shooting 33.65 gr Neilson slugs at 965fps. Eats air but is producing close to 68 flbs. The noise level at the barrel is 90 db. 20 yards away it's down to 85, at 57 yards the impact of the slug is loader than the gun.
I believe the baffling system of the Yokozuna really helps with higher ftlb guns plus it has airstrippers internally. Tunable moderator by removing sections. I'm running it with the complete system. Seems to give me the best results.
I like the design of that model but not sure of the quick disconnect system.

Reactions: Skydivingmiami
I can tell you the Buck Rail el cheapo moderator doesn't play well with higher power. They didn't help quite my 30 fpe 22 down much at all when I had one. They do good on lower power and co2, but they get very snappy over 20ish fpe.

My tanto took a beating on a 2500 Sam Yang carbine 25 cal doing 80 fpe. Was blowing the felt out the relief holes lol. The koi held up to the 80 better than the tanto, but the giant Maglite style Niel Clague I had on it made it basement/backyard quiet.

i dont think fpe has much to do with it ..my modded .25 mrod is doing 60+ and is quiet with just the stock shroud .. ping is louder than the report and thats 'with' a depinger .... what could be done is wrap the muzzle end of the gun up in an old towel (being safe of course) to determine just how much of that noise is actually coming from the muzzle, might be revealing ...

Reactions: qball
I can tell you the Buck Rail el cheapo moderator doesn't play well with higher power. They didn't help quite my 30 fpe 22 down much at all when I had one. They do good on lower power and co2, but they get very snappy over 20ish fpe.

My tanto took a beating on a 2500 Sam Yang carbine 25 cal doing 80 fpe. Was blowing the felt out the relief holes lol. The koi held up to the 80 better than the tanto, but the giant Maglite style Niel Clague I had on it made it basement/backyard quiet.
How much quieter was the Koi? I thought about that one too, long tanto.

What was your setup when the STO didn’t work? Do you have a favorite moderator besides the old Sumo?

I tried it on my crown and impact, it work ok on my impact shooting .25 caliber shooting at around 80fpe but nothing to write home about. Where it really didn't work was when I tried to use it on my 11fpe 177 backyard gun, I want mouse fart quiet for my suburban backyard and willing to pay for it but nothing outside of the old sumo worked. I got fed up after buying 20 different moderators from everyone and failing for my low power application so I just 3D printed my own. I got my 3D printed moderators pretty darn quiet, surprisingly it is even holding up on my 110 fpe Dynamic.

I got my 3D printed moderators pretty darn quiet, surprisingly it is even holding up on my 110 fpe Dynamic.

I would very much like to see more about your 3D printed moderator. If you are not willing to show the inside design, then the outside dimensions would be interesting. Do you have an insert in a structural tube, or is the print its own casing?

Thanks

I tried it on my crown and impact, it work ok on my impact shooting .25 caliber shooting at around 80fpe but nothing to write home about. Where it really didn't work was when I tried to use it on my 11fpe 177 backyard gun, I want mouse fart quiet for my suburban backyard and willing to pay for it but nothing outside of the old sumo worked. I got fed up after buying 20 different moderators from everyone and failing for my low power application so I just 3D printed my own. I got my 3D printed moderators pretty darn quiet, surprisingly it is even holding up on my 110 fpe Dynamic.
That’s what I’m afraid of, buying another and being disappointed over and over.

Did you get the High Flow or Moderate Core? STO said I should go with the Moderate, but now I’m skeptical about the design.

I would very much like to see more about your 3D printed moderator. If you are not willing to show the inside design, then the outside dimensions would be interesting. Do you have an insert in a structural tube, or is the print its own casing?

Thanks

It’s a pretty standard size of 35mm x 165mm. Sorry, I like to keep the internal design less public but honestly it’s really nothing special in design but with some secret sauce tweaking. LOL

It has its limits too, if the gun isn’t efficient it doesn’t work as well unless I go really long like 200mm or 8 inch in length, but at that length I can quiet down even guns with a mean bark.

Last edited:
Reactions: subscriber
Is there really any gun or moderator combo on the market that's going to turn 80+ fpe into a mouse fart? It's hard to believe at that power, a gun is going to just go 'click'.

Unless you have a very long shroud and staged baffles, I don't see how we can get these guns to be uber quiet when they're cranked to the ceiling. Unless they're hammerless, I'm sure just the action will make enough noise you're going to hear it within a certain distance.

My neighbors know I shoot in my yard, and I moderate my guns to preserve my hearing, and also make it not so "call the cops honey!" loud. One has questioned the power output because of the pellet thwack on the trap, but I used my jedi mind powers and tricked him into believing its the echo off the fencing that makes it so thumpy!

Thats not good at all and they still told you you’re not pushing it hard enough at 80fpe. Well that rules STO out.

Actually they told me I’m not pushing enough power/air at 11pm, I tried at 30-40fpe and still not that impressed. On my 80 FPE impact the sto isn’t really quieter than my printed moderator or big sumo, slightly different tone but don’t think it’s quieter. YMMV

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay308
Actually they told me I’m not pushing enough power/air at 11pm, I tried at 30-40fpe and still not that impressed. On my 80 FPE impact the sto isn’t really quieter than my printed moderator or big sumo, slightly different tone but don’t think it’s quieter. YMMV
Ok, that makes more sense. It works, just not as much as you were expecting, thanks.

Reactions: qball