• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Moderator for 50 fpe?

I have a Donny Tanto on a Maverick .22 600mm and it does take the edge off about 50% quieter than none. It is still a little louder than I would like for neighbors. Are baffle types better than the Donny setup? I was not sure about weight for FX barrels/shroud with a big mod. Is the Sumo good enough for that power level?

I bought the Tanto when I thought I was getting a Avenge-X but bought a Maverick instead.

Last edited:
I use the Falx...........for everything. It's better than any Donny that I've tried.

🔘 STO's Falx and other models are research-based, very cool science. So yeah, they're boutique silencers and probably more effective than DonnyFL.

🔘 However, in my eyes they have no visual appeal like DonnyFL, 0dB, or Hugget....

🔘 Then you have the 3D silencers designed by subscriber here at AGN, very well done, and far far less expensive. 👍🏼

🔘 Have you tried tuning the Maverick — in order to avoid wasting air — which produces more noise without producing more velocity?

Matthias

Reactions: OldSpook
🔘 STO's Falx and other models are research-based, very cool science. So yeah, they're boutique silencers and probably more effective than DonnyFL.

🔘 However, in my eyes they have no visual appeal like DonnyFL, 0dB, or Hugget....

🔘 Then you have the 3D silencers designed by subscriber here at AGN, very well done, and far far less expensive. 👍🏼

🔘 Have you tried tuning the Maverick — in order to avoid wasting air — which produces more noise without producing more velocity?

Matthias
I do my best to eliminate wasted air on both my Mav and M3. I moderator will still reduce noise though, as I'm sure you're aware.

I do my best to eliminate wasted air on both my Mav and M3. I moderator will still reduce noise though, as I'm sure you're aware.

Good! ✅ I was just checking some of the obvious reasons for loud guns... 👍🏼👍🏼

And yes, I'm all in favor and aware of moderators and the magic they do — I consider myself a FAN BOY of moderators....! 😊👍🏼

Matthias

Reactions: dens228

Matthias

It’s balanced, tuned to the knee, pushing the 25.4 MRD at 930.

I tune all my guns to have a hammer spring setting near the point of maximum velocity for the regulator setting. I check accuracy once I find the point of maximum velocity going a little up and down on the hammer spring. I recently added a bigger plenum and retuned my P35-25 taking it from about 32 fpe to almost 50 fpe. I am using a moderator in the shroud designed by subscriber. I can detect no increase in the noise from the gun despite about a 50% increase in fpe. The gun is also significantly more accurate now. Even though both the old and new tunes had the hammer spring near the knee of the curve, the new tune has the gun working better so any noise change is not an issue at all.

Reactions: Bandito
I am using a moderator in the shroud designed by subscriber. I can detect no increase in the noise from the gun despite about a 50% increase in fpe. The gun is also significantly more accurate now.

Shows the quality of work subscriber delivers in his 3D silencer designs! 😃

Matthias

I'm using a Donnyfl Yokozuna on my .25 600mm mk2 , which is shooting 33.65 gr Neilson slugs at 965fps. Eats air but is producing close to 68 flbs. The noise level at the barrel is 90 db. 20 yards away it's down to 85, at 57 yards the impact of the slug is loader than the gun.
I believe the baffling system of the Yokozuna really helps with higher ftlb guns plus it has airstrippers internally. Tunable moderator by removing sections. I'm running it with the complete system. Seems to give me the best results.

Who's the dunce who designed that webpage? I can't even read the required values.

1704216898839.png

I use the Falx...........for everything. It's better than any Donny that I've tried.

My experience is quite different. Not saying Falx is bad but it really depends on the tune. STO moderators are quite effective at max power but at low to mid power level they are not any better or worse compared to some Donny. I owned just about every model Donny made and depends on the tune and power level they also differ in effectiveness. Interestingly the quietest Donny ever made was an old Sumo, partly because they didn’t open up the bore to accommodate clipping and the Falx is much louder.

My experience is quite different. Not saying Falx is bad but it really depends on the tune. STO moderators are quite effective at max power but at low to mid power level they are not any better or worse compared to some Donny. I owned just about every model Donny made and depends on the tune and power level they also differ in effectiveness. Interestingly the quietest Donny ever made was an old Sumo, partly because they didn’t open up the bore to accommodate clipping and the Falx is much louder.
Well I do shoot at higher power so that could be the reason.