• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Moderator Design

Steve,

Your experience overlaps with that of many people. Note, I did not say all people.

The ideal number of baffles depends on the rest of the design, including the length of the moderator. The longer the moderator, the more added baffles help. Conversely, 6 baffles in a 3" long moderator will be less effective than only three. I see this "rule" as more about baffle spacing than the number of baffles. Ideal baffles spacing also depends on the ID of the tube; and the muzzle pressure and volume of the airgun involved.

Some designs work better at low power. Others at high power. There is no one size fits all solution that works best; unless it is the one you are selling. I make no claims about the performance of my moderator designs; other than repeating what people who have evaluated them report to me; or on open forum.

What do you mean by inverted cone? Cones should meet the projectile and airflow with their small end first to work properly. To me, that is the "right way round", not inverted. :)

How one defines "better" has a large bearing on which type of design and construction wins. Ultimately which units sell best are "better". Although brand recognition often trumps objective or subjective comparisons.

As you have a clear view about what works, I would like to know your opinion about the effectiveness of vent holes in the sides of many commercial moderators?

Last edited:
Reactions: AirGunShooter
Steve,

Your experience overlaps with that of many people. Note, I did not say all people.

The ideal number of baffles depends on the rest of the design, including the length of the moderator. The longer the moderator, the more added baffles help. Conversely, 6 baffles in a 3" long moderator will be less effective than only three. I see this "rule" as more about baffle spacing than the number of baffles. Ideal baffles spacing also depends on the ID of the tube; and the muzzle pressure and volume of the airgun involved.

Some designs work better at low power. Others at high power. There is no one size fits all solution that works best; unless it is the one you are selling. I make no claims about the performance of my moderator designs; other than repeating what people who have evaluated them report to me; or on open forum.

What do you mean by inverted cone? Cones should meet the projectile and airflow with their small end first to work properly. To me, that is the "right way round", not inverted. :)

How one defines "better" has a large bearing on which type of design and construction wins. Ultimately which units sell best are "better". Although brand recognition often trumps objective or subjective comparisons.

As you have a clear view about what works, I would like to know your opinion about the effectiveness of vent holes in the sides of many commercial moderators?
Vent holes do not work in my experience. Either within chamber to chamber or externally. In fact they make the report louder.