• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Moderator conflicted

OOkay
From a tf.gov: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, Florida – U.S. District Judge Roy B. Dalton Jr. has sentenced Gary Dewayne Martin (31, Fort McCoy) to 24 months in federal prison for possession of an unregistered silencer.
No air gun mentioned anywhere in the synopsis of the court case. Moreover there's plenty of evidence that guy had it coming. I guess you didn't read the court case.

Therefore that court case is in no way relevant to this discussion. Some powder burner guy made an illegal silencer for his 22. Yep he broke the law.

Last edited:
Reactions: BurntDog

Is It Illegal To Put A Silencer On An Airgun?​

Written by AirgunLaws.com in Uncategorized
There are times when you may want to put a silencer or silencing device on an airgun for practical purposes, such as quiet backyard plinking that won’t alert your neighbors. So you may be wondering, can you make a silencer and install it on your airgun? Unfortunately it is illegal make and install any device in attempts to silence an airgun. It is however legal to purchase an airgun that has a silencer to silencing technology that is already built into the airgun.
According to the Alphabet org (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms), if the silencing device is not an integral part of the gun and can be removed it may be considered an illegal device. Any attempt to install such a device to your airgun may result in fines and possible jail time if caught unless you have a tax stamp on the device.
The Alphabet org is mainly concerned you have a device that could be transferred to an actual firearm in attempts to silence it. The bottom line is do not install any device to your airgun in attempts to silence it.
If however you purchased an airgun that has a built on silencer or silencing device, you are perfectly within the law. Just make sure you never try to remove in and fashion it onto an actual firearm!

There are times when you may want to put a silencer or silencing device on an airgun for practical purposes, such as quiet backyard plinking that won’t alert your neighbors. So you may be wondering, can you make a silencer and install it on your airgun? Unfortunately it is illegal make and install any device in attempts to silence an airgun. It is however legal to purchase an airgun that has a silencer to silencing technology that is already built into the airgun.
According to the 3 letter organization (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms), if the silencing device is not an integral part of the gun and can be removed it may be considered an illegal device. Any attempt to install such a device to your airgun may result in fines and possible jail time if caught unless you have a tax stamp on the device.
The 3 letter organization is mainly concerned you have a device that could be transferred to an actual firearm in attempts to silence it. The bottom line is do not install any device to your airgun in attempts to silence it.
If however you purchased an airgun that has a built on silencer or silencing device, you are perfectly within the law. Just make sure you never try to remove in and fashion it onto an actual firearm!
Just more FUD. So I guess DonnyFL is in deep dodo? 🤣 Article is written by airgunlaws.com whomever they are... Maybe someone should link the appellate case to him so that he can update his information? The article cites the 😱Alphabet org😱 interpretation of the NFA. The Alphabet org is the same agency which has stated that the NFA does not regulate air gun or airgun silencers?

I'm going to have to go with that little article is no more authoritative than any other post in this thread.

Last edited:

According to the 3 letter organization (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms), if the silencing device is not an integral part of the gun and can be removed it may be considered an illegal device. Any attempt to install such a device to your airgun may result in fines and possible jail time if caught unless you have a tax stamp on the device.
The 3 letter organization is mainly concerned you have a device that could be transferred to an actual firearm in attempts to silence it. The bottom line is do not install any device to your airgun in attempts to silence it.
Just a reminder batf is not authorized to make laws but they act like it. At the end of the day do what's best for you.

@Squack. Good point! If the state regulates silencers😁. For example a state may not regulate the possession of a silencer for an air gun but they may regulate the use of silencer in hunting. So yeah there's still ways you can get into a good bit of trouble if you don't know your local laws.
I cross referenced silencer laws with Silencerco's Maxim 50. A muzzleloader from a NFA silencer manufacturer that can/will ship their product to your door as an antique. Some States have challenged this, and Silencerco discontinued selling to those areas for customer safety. Air guns appear to fall in the same category, so this provides a road map for airgun silencer laws as well.

Last edited:
I cross referenced silencer laws with Silencerco's Maxim 50. A muzzleloader from a NFA silencer manufacturer that can/will ship their product to your door as an antique. Some States have challenged this, and Silencerco discontinued selling to those areas for customer safety. Air guns appear to fall in the same category, so this provides a road map for airgun silencer laws as well.
I don't think they fall in the same category. Antique firearms are antique FIREarms. They are a special class of firearms.

Airarms are not a special class of firearms. So I wouldn't be too hasty to make that connection.

For the device on the end of the barrel, yes. They state it's non-removable, and if it were, it would fall under NFA rules.
Robert Beeman had plenty to say about them as well. But a court case trumps all?! I don't plan to find out. The article I shared from Reddit certainly gives me pause. If I were in that situation, I'd be going to jail without a doubt.
As Beeman said, nobody has ever produced a letter of exemption for airguns.
Every other industry has.

Last edited:
For the device on the end of the barrel, yes. They state it's non-removable, and if it were, it would fall under NFA rules.
Robert Beeman had plenty to say about them as well. But a court case trumps all?! I don't plan to find out. The article I shared from Reddit certainly gives me pause. If I were in that situation, I'd be going to jail without a doubt.

Best answer is, it's a grey area within the law it's both legal and illegal meaning you can buy them without begging for permission however there is a small chance you can get caught up in court if some leftist reports you and authorities find you own powder burners as well (the tax stamp is 100% unconstitutional and history proves this. Look into what Texas is doing to fight these unlawful laws).

Well then, I think you should play it safe. Just go get a stamp for your airgun silencer and be done with it. No problem, right? Then you can rest easy at night. Who knows? They might tell you you don't need one.

But I would like to know who says that it's being "not removable" makes it exempt from NFA rules. Is that something the agency which shall not be named has conceded?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: N2 Shooter

Every moderator that comes on an airgun is removable and as I said earlier in this thread the way the manufacturers "permanently" attach a moderator on an airrifle does not meet the requirement of the batf for permanent attachment. The only recognized legal way to permanently attach a device per batf is to weld it on or blind pin it on. There is no liquid compound recognized as a permanent attachment.

So you have to ask yourself with all the models available and manufacturers making and supplying air gun silencers why have the batf sat silently instead of shutting down the manufacturers who are supplying in your words illegal devices by the thousands?

Last edited:
Correction: I have never said they are illegal, nor that they require a stamp.
There is a right and wrong way to do things regarding the law, but we can't get past the mockery and laughing heads to have a professional conversation on how to remain legal.

This thread, as well as many others before me, expresses defiance and disregard for such things.

Good luck.

Why don't you give us the laws? You are making them after all.
You really misunderstood my intention there. I'm asking you to give me a list of the criteria that we have to meet to possess and use and store air gun silencers. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass and I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I am trying to get you to codify your thinking.