• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Moderator conflicted

I am loving this site and finding a lot of great information While searching and Trying to figure all this new to me PCP stuff out. I have seen what seems to be conflicting information regarding the legal use of moderators. I saw the post below but I also see many sellers including retailers selling them as if they can swapped from gun to gun. Am I missing something?

1663240821648.png

Well it looks like he's from Michigan.

Unless your state has a restriction on airgun moderators (New Jersey does) you should be fine.

There are two pretty standard threadings for small bore airguns: 1/2"x20 UNF and 14 x 1.25 Metric. Most brands are using the 1/2" thread, but you will find a lot of Eastern European brands tend towards the 14mm threading.

Reactions: TWBUILD
Yes you are missing the point that airguns as far as the federal government are concerned do not regulate them. A suppressor for an airgun is legal again as far as the federal government is concerned if the device cannot be installed on a firearm without modification. If you mod it to fit a firearm it is illegal or if you have an adapter allowing you to install it on a firearm it is illegal.

For the people who think making it out of material like plastic alone makes it legal it does not. The law does not say the device has to survive more than one firing. The law says if it is tested and reduces the noise of the firearm it is a silencer. So a plastic moderator that can be attached to a firearm is still illegal if they test it and it reduces the noise level for even one round. None of that matters if you follow my first comment its just info that people seem to throw around incorrectly.

Reactions: BurntDog
There is no way I would be willing to give legal advice or tell you the legalities on moderators.

The BATFE is pretty specific about moderators, it makes NO difference what we THINK or what we have been TOLD, in the USA, they must have a tax stamp.

That said, do I have moderators on my air rifles? Yupper. I understand the issue and have made my own decisions.

There is no way I would be willing to give legal advice or tell you the legalities on moderators.

The BATFE is pretty specific about moderators, it makes NO difference what we THINK or what we have been TOLD, in the USA, they must have a tax stamp.

That said, do I have moderators on my air rifles? Yupper. I understand the issue and have made my own decisions.
Care to venture a guess as to why DonnyFL is still in buisness and not behind bars? Because the department of alcohol, tobacco, and FIREARMS knows they can't do jack about it. They can make any statement they want on the matter but at the end of the day they have zero jurisdiction and they know it. The second that case went to court it would be thrown out and a precedence would be set.

The fact that Gamos get sold in Walmart, tax stamp free, with moderators pre-installed, is all the proof anyone should need of that fact.

Last edited:
Care to venture a guess as to why DonnyFL is still in buisness and not behind bars? Because the department of alcohol, tobacco, and FIREARMS knows they can't do jack about it. They can make any statement they want on the matter but at the end of the day they have zero jurisdiction and they know it. The second that case went to court it would be thrown out and a precedence would be set.

The fact that Gamos get sold in Walmart, tax stamp free, with moderators pre-installed, is all the proof anyone should need of that fact.

I think we all understand the predicament that the BATFE has backed themselves into BUT think about the current Texas Moderator law and the complete lack of 2nd amendment understanding the BATFE has shown.

Just make sure you make the decisions YOU can live with.

Read the case i posted above ,
in a nutshell it states if the police search your house and find something in the kitchen and then go to your garage and find another piece then put those two things together to form an adaptor then they can charge you with intent . so you see it has been done and i would hate to pay that bill . (didnt stop me but still ? )

Reactions: Firewalker
Made me wonder about this so I Googled it. Here's what found.

"Are suppressors legal on airguns?

The NFA (The National Firearms Act of 1934) currently does not give the federal government the ability to prosecute suppressors for air guns. So making an air gun suppressor is legal in the United States (at the federal level) as long as you intend that suppressor to be only used on an airgun."

Made me wonder about this so I Googled it. Here's what found.

"Are suppressors legal on airguns?

The NFA (The National Firearms Act of 1934) currently does not give the federal government the ability to prosecute suppressors for air guns. So making an air gun suppressor is legal in the United States (at the federal level) as long as you intend that suppressor to be only used on an airgun."

Make sure you print that out when you get arrested...

Look at it this way. Many are aware of the resent Alphabet org case involving reset triggers for powder burners. They were all sold and owned 100% legally. However the Alphabet org (in all their wisdom and lack of respect for our 2A) are physically going door to door to confirm that these devises were destroyed or turned in any resistance to provide them with proof will likely end up with you in cuffs. This is just one more reason to legally fight back and support those that support us when it pertains to our 2A. Most of us know or can agree that the Alphabet org has been crossing the line far too much lately and this must stop.

Last edited:
You can likely settle this by calling your local 3 letter organization and ask the question. I did just that when I first started in PCP back in 2010. The take then was: "We know that suppressors are being used on air guns, but we tend to not bother with them. Especially when they are attached from the factory. We are keeping tabs on the situation however."
mike

Have a read of this link it will help you to understand that *Alphabet org* has no mandate to persecute ;) people who build Airgun moderators as long as they can show that the moderator in question is intended for use only on an airgun.
NOT INTENDED FOR FIREARMS USE
The court was VERY CLEAR about why it ruled that way. I don't believe *Alphabet org* even appealed the ruling. If you can find an appeal please point it out to me. I couldn't.

You can likely settle this by calling your local 3 letter organization and ask the question. I did just that when I first started in PCP back in 2010. The take then was: "We know that suppressors are being used on air guns, but we tend to not bother with them. Especially when they are attached from the factory. We are keeping tabs on the situation however."
mike
The problem and more and more people are finally starting to wake up to is the 3 letter organization <---- (Sad that in America we are being Censored) is unconstitutional in and of itself. It is starting to look like (thru recent court cases) the 3 letter organization may be dissolved at some point (time will tell) which is way past do.

Reactions: TWBUILD