• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Moderator as an alternative to Huggett Magna

As above, which airgun are you using this on? Does the airgun have a shroud?

The Magna is designed for 100fpe applications, so it might not be super effective in your use. There's a lot of other options out there, but I've found the Huma Mod30 and sometimes the Mod40 to be extremely effective.

As above, which airgun are you using this on? Does the airgun have a shroud?

The Magna is designed for 100fpe applications, so it might not be super effective in your use. There's a lot of other options out there, but I've found the Huma Mod30 and sometimes the Mod40 to be extremely effective.
It's on an Alpha Wolf HP .22. Running MRDs at 850 FPS with the Magna is loud.

I have an AW as well. 177 and 25. I have a .30 Magna I use on the 25 barrel and it's been very effective in the 60-70fpe range. In .177 I use a Huma Mod30 with 3 sections. I would say the sound reduction, with .177 barrel, is the same for the Mod30 and the Magna. I've tried adding a 4th section to the Huma Mod30 and it didn't really make much difference.

I do have a snipe coming and will report back on that in a few days.

As a data point, I have a Mini Magna on my Huben running around 35 FPE or so. I have also tried a Huma 40 (both standard and with the Avalanche insert - standard is quieter) and a Donny FL Tatsu. They all perfrom about the same in terms of absolute SPL, but I like the sound quality of the Huggett the best of the three. The Huma 40, based on a decent app on my phone, is only 1 dB quieter than the other two, so basically it is a three way tie . . .

I doubt that the full length Magna would be louder than the shorter Mini Magna . . .

Reactions: Stone02
As a data point, I have a Mini Magna on my Huben running around 35 FPE or so. I have also tried a Huma 40 (both standard and with the Avalanche insert - standard is quieter) and a Donny FL Tatsu. They all perfrom about the same in terms of absolute SPL, but I like the sound quality of the Huggett the best of the three. The Huma 40, based on a decent app on my phone, is only 1 dB quieter than the other two, so basically it is a three way tie . . .

I doubt that the full length Magna would be louder than the shorter Mini Magna . . .
I had a Mini Magna on a .22 Pulsar at 34 ft-lb and the noise level was OK. The Magna, on the Pulsar, was quieter - which is what you'd expect.
However, I p/x'd the Pulsar for the AW HP and from the get-go the AW is noticeably louder.
Maybe it's a function of the geometry at the muzzle. Having a chrono' mid exit blast can't help.

I have a Huggett Magna fitted to a 40 ft-lb .22 pcp and I'm not at all impressed with the sound moderation.

Maybe it's as good as it gets. But, on the off chance, any recommendations for an alternative, quieter .22 mod at 40 ft-lb than a Huggett Magna ?
I think my Huggett Astille with optional cone attached is the quietest moderator I have on any of my .22 rifles, which includes an 0dB 160S, Huggett Belita, and a Huggett Snipe with Huggett Shroud (very quiet) I have two BSA's (R10 .177 and Scorpion Multi-shot .22) fitted with the Huma Air (former Hubb) Shroud with internal moderator, and both are extremely quiet. Huggett advertises the Astille as their newest technology and quietest moderator yet. The option screw on cone does quiet it even more. Virtually no pneumatic noise. Just hammer spring twing.

I might add that the newest Alteros silencer with muzzle brake very effectively quiets my .25 AirMaks Caiman X to backyard friendly status.

Last edited:
Reactions: EDventure