Model 48 Being Discontinued by Diana

Seems most new airgunners are goin straight to PCPs. The cohorts of airgunners that value quality spring guns is thinning out and the new cohorts skip spring guns in pref for modularity and power of PCPs. Sad because spring guns are amazing withing their limits. I remember the days of checking Paul Watts site and for Venom guns. Hopefully they bring the 48 back at a later point. Upside is there are a lot of them out there, so shouldn't be hard to find one.

The 48 in .177 was the first airgun I purchased as an adult back in 1995/1996 IIRC. I purchased it via mail order from Gander Mountain. I sold it to a neighbor but then bought it back from him at a lower price lol. I still have it. If I was to do it all over again, I would've got one in .22cal.

When my neighbor had it, he did his own "custom" rattle can paint job on it.

After I bought it back from him, I stripped it down and refinished it. Both of these pics are old. Maybe 10-15 years ago.
Nicely done! The wood grain on that stock is gorgeous. Glad you were able to make the rifle shine again.

Seems the 48 was the defacto high end truck gun for more than a few folks. I've taken on a similiar resto project with a Model 48 that I picked up off a auction site:

Before:
gSy3M3ah.jpg

After:
D6bvrFph.jpg

Nicely done! The wood grain on that stock is gorgeous. Glad you were able to make the rifle shine again.

Seems the 48 was the defacto high end truck gun for more than a few folks. I've taken on a similiar resto project with a Model 48 that I picked up off a auction site:

Before:
gSy3M3ah.jpg

After:
D6bvrFph.jpg
That is quite the transformation! Nice looks

The 48 is a great springer, wish I had never sold mine. It was a .22, shot a very smooth just under 20 fpe, and was a squirrel thumper for sure.

10-27-2013Dianas005_zps3043ce40 (1).jpg

Anyone remember Ed 'tidbit" Brown from the old Yellow Forum? How about tonytrojan1994? Both former owners, not sure who did the bed liner treatment to the stock, but they did a great job. I added the Morgan adjustable recoil pad, and replaced the barrel sleeve with a shroud from Paul Watts. NEVER should have sold it. Live & learn I suppose.

Reactions: fishing43
I've got one of the first 48s that were sold. No. 900393. I bought it used in 92 and It's been rock steady. I bought a 52 stock from a GTA member and it really helped with shooting. It's to bad they're discontinuing the line. I guess we've still have the 54 which while easier to shoot accurately is much heavier.
Interesting. I bought one the same year. :cool: Really like the patch (in your Avatar) I have one just like it. 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: DesertSilver