Modded Maverick .30 dropped another porker!

I was fortunate enough to get a another big hog with my Maverick last night! I was shooting 90 grain Griffin BT HP around 950 fps. I put it right in his temple at about 30 yards. That's the distance I zero at, and try to set up close that when hunting. He didn't take a step, and dropped in his tracks. Not even a death dance, just a few lazy kicks. The hunt was pretty straight forward. My buddy said he had been showing up a little after 6pm the last few days, so I set up down wind and waited. Sure enough, he came in on a string at 6:15. All I had to do was wait for him to give me the temple shot I was looking for. Ping-POP and he was out! The real adventure started when I had to load him into the back of the truck by myself. His fat arse and my skinny arse made for me being sore today, haha. The gun has a 32" barrel, and that is the tailgate of my Maverick pickup for size reference. I'm guessing he was around 250lbs, since I didn't get a chance to weigh him. He was really fat though.

Unfortunately, his cutters were broke off, so no skull mount :( He had been fighting pretty good, and had a few cuts on his shoulders. Either way, he won't be making any more hogs. I think it's time to switch over to my heavy .177 slug barrel on this gun next ;)

20240203_195622.jpg

Thanks guys! All of you talking about loading him... well, I'm hurting today. I haven't tried that hard to do anything in a long time, and I'm sore all over. I need to get back into shape, lol. On a side note, you guys see that little doodad in the truck behind the hog with the yellow cable? That is a Hawke "Deer cinch drag", and it is one of the best inventions ever. That little thing makes draggin/lifting animals so much easier, and held the full weight of that hog when lifting him off the ground and over the tailgate. I highly recommend keeping one in your hunting packs!

@Rallyshark Oh hell yeah!! That's some good pig shootin"!! Great shot placement. Well done. Why not archive that porker in this thread as well? https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/photo-thread-quarry-and-the-airgun-that-took-it.1197241/
I'll try to do that when I have more time. I need to see how many of those air gun porker pics I can dig up. I've got a few with different air guns going back to my very first ones with the Hatsans!

Reactions: Ezana4CE