• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
Cody here, First post!
Grew up in tx predator and wing shooting. New to air guns, bow hunter for 15 years shoulder issue and all the prairie dogs have me excited about making the plunge and have narrowed down to the following.

I’ve never been much of a paper puncher, more into hunting.

Been watching and reading and have come to this so far

fx impact 3 .22 for bird squirrel plinking and a .35 barrel kit for p dogs possibly fox small varmits
I like the barrel change option simplicity/long track record but not sure it would be worth retuning sighting etc please share your thoughts.

impact 3 with multiple barrels or seperate caliber dynamic or panthera.

Thinking an aea hp or element in .50 cal for up close and personal hog ground blind tree stand hunts or possibly the shorter Zues .72

Nomad compressor open to recomendations

need insight on a refil bottle or bottle sizes.

more interested in quality than budget, steer me in the right direction.

Hello and welcome to our awesome forum. I own an Impact and two Crowns. In my experience, if it fits within your budget, I prefer to have two different rifles rather than swapping calibers on a single rifle. The whole barrel/caliber swapping option sounds great until you get into the tuning process and do all the necessary work to perfect a tune. Once that work is done the last thing you want to do is change it all around for a new barrel. Now, making small changes to the power wheel to accommodate pellets and slugs in the same rifle is a great feature. You can keep the same regulator setting and hammer pre-load setting and just dial the main power wheel back and forth. That is an awesome option with the various FX rifles and I do just that with my Impact and Crowns. Hope that helps some,
Kenny

Hello and welcome to our awesome forum. I own an Impact and two Crowns. In my experience, if it fits within your budget, I prefer to have two different rifles rather than swapping calibers on a single rifle. The whole barrel/caliber swapping option sounds great until you get into the tuning process and do all the necessary work to perfect a tune. Once that work is done the last thing you want to do is change it all around for a new barrel. Now, making small changes to the power wheel to accommodate pellets and slugs in the same rifle is a great feature. You can keep the same regulator setting and hammer pre-load setting and just dial the main power wheel back and forth. That is an awesome option with the various FX rifles and I do just that with my Impact and Crowns. Hope that helps some,
Kenny
Thank you for the info

Welcome!

I tend to like to tinker so I got a couple impacts... and like 20 different barrels. Airguns maybe like your arrows, maybe not but have a really loopy trajectories with low bc. So .22 and .25 are my choices. Make sure you get a good rangefinder too if you are hunting anything beyond 100 yards.

Allen
apreciate the input

Welcome, personally, I'm of the mind that a tool for each job, unless you can nail your tune for each barrel/pellet/SL-UGG and change easily. I've got a .22 Maverick Compact 500 barrel and a .25 Maverick VP 600mm barrel. The .25 is good to 120 yards for sure, my range is limited, it pokes nice holes in ground squirrels and I'm getting 1 minute of squirrel with 33.95gr pellets perking out of the muzzle arounds 900fps. It'll switch to 26 gr with zero issue. The .22 now shoots anything up to 18.13, no muss, no fuss. My .04¢, adjusted for inflation.

You can always buy a couple airguns already setup for your needs by a qualified individual like @zx10wall. You won't be getting an fx from him but you will get a proven accurate setup.https://tenaciousairguns.com/

I say this only because I've purchased guns that everyone was having awesome accuracy with on the forums and YouTube only to find out mine didn't shoot that accurate for 1 reason or another (panthera/vulcan). Wether it be a bad barrel, crappy trigger setup, or just isnt accuarte like the post you saw on the internet, you run the risk of getting something that will need additional help to make it what you want. This can be expensive, frustrating, and time consuming, unless your looking for a project.

If I was to buy anything today it would be from derrick and I'd have him confirm the accuracy at 100 yards with a specific projectile and I'd save myself a ton of money on buying ammo that doesn't shoot great out of my setups.

Another option is someone like talontunes, utah airguns, aoa. Just be very specific with your requirements for accuracy and make them shoot groups from distance. Talon tunes usually provide a group shot at 30 yards, which isn't far enough to tell me anything, but upon request they went out to 75 yards. I would prefer 100 yards tbh.

Derrick will shoot 100 yard groups and make sure you get a good gun from the start. He would be my recommendation at this point in time.

Not much help with compressors but I've had good luck with my tuxing. I've only used it for going on a year but no issues. I don't use it a ton though which is why I'm not much help in that department.

Air tanks are up to you. You can get backpack sized all the way up to fairly large tanks. I use the big 1 for the bench and if I'm planning on doing alot of shooting and the little 1 for backpack setup if needed. I do recommend getting the protected tank setup for travel. It has serviced me well. I go to Joe for air tanks and advise. His website in on the gauge.

Hope this saves you some time and money.
20230725_093627.jpg
20230725_093654.jpg
20230725_094447.jpg

Last edited:
First off I would like to say I love fx rifles. I have three of them but a lot of their marketing is just marketing hype to get into your pocket. It’s not to say that it doesn’t work (the features) but they aren’t some change the world or really even better in my opinion, than what is already out there . The easy caliber change is one of them. It sounds good on paper or in a commercial but it’s way easier to have two guns for two very different jobs. Just a bit of a hassle switching back and forth. You will end up buying another. Lol. With that said the impact is a great choice in my opinion. I don’t think you need 35 for a prairie dog though. I think you will find that 22 with a little heavier projectiles will be the ticket.

I agree with all the folks who say separate tools for different jobs. I have a Maverick and I have a 22 and 25 cal barrel for it. The 22 barrel, probe and mag sit in the safe. Having to change the probe and tune is more bother than it is worth.
As for the Nomad? Search this forum. There are lots of threads concerning the Nomad. You could probably count the happy owners on one hand. I have one. It is sitting under my gun bench. It worked for less than 5 months, went back to Air Venturi,, came back, filled exactly 5 guns and died again. AV tells me it is probably the check valves. I just bought another 98 cf tank.
If you really want a compressor, save your pennies and buy a $2K plus one. The Nomad is a turd.

You can always buy a couple airguns already setup for your needs by a qualified individual like @zx10wall. You won't be getting an fx from him but you will get a proven accurate setup.https://tenaciousairguns.com/

I say this only because I've purchased guns that everyone was having awesome accuracy with on the forums and YouTube only to find out mine didn't shoot that accurate for 1 reason or another (panthera/vulcan). Wether it be a bad barrel, crappy trigger setup, or just isnt accuarte like the post you saw on the internet, you run the risk of getting something that will need additional help to make it what you want. This can be expensive, frustrating, and time consuming, unless your looking for a project.

If I was to buy anything today it would be from derrick and I'd have him confirm the accuracy at 100 yards with a specific projectile and I'd save myself a ton of money on buying ammo that doesn't shoot great out of my setups.

Another option is someone like talontunes, utah airguns, aoa. Just be very specific with your requirements for accuracy and make them shoot groups from distance. Talon tunes usually provide a group shot at 30 yards, which isn't far enough to tell me anything, but upon request they went out to 75 yards. I would prefer 100 yards tbh.

Derrick will shoot 100 yard groups and make sure you get a good gun from the start. He would be my recommendation at this point in time.

Not much help with compressors but I've had good luck with my tuxing. I've only used it for going on a year but no issues. I don't use it a ton though which is why I'm not much help in that department.

Air tanks are up to you. You can get backpack sized all the way up to fairly large tanks. I use the big 1 for the bench and if I'm planning on doing alot of shooting and the little 1 for backpack setup if needed. I do recommend getting the protected tank setup for travel. It has serviced me well. I go to Joe for air tanks and advise. His website in on the gauge.

Hope this saves you some time and money.
View attachment 375603View attachment 375604View attachment 375605
Good stuff thank you!

First off I would like to say I love fx rifles. I have three of them but a lot of their marketing is just marketing hype to get into your pocket. It’s not to say that it doesn’t work (the features) but they aren’t some change the world or really even better in my opinion, than what is already out there . The easy caliber change is one of them. It sounds good on paper or in a commercial but it’s way easier to have two guns for two very different jobs. Just a bit of a hassle switching back and forth. You will end up buying another. Lol. With that said the impact is a great choice in my opinion. I don’t think you need 35 for a prairie dog though. I think you will find that 22 with a little heavier projectiles will be the ticket.
👌🏻

I agree with all the folks who say separate tools for different jobs. I have a Maverick and I have a 22 and 25 cal barrel for it. The 22 barrel, probe and mag sit in the safe. Having to change the probe and tune is more bother than it is worth.
As for the Nomad? Search this forum. There are lots of threads concerning the Nomad. You could probably count the happy owners on one hand. I have one. It is sitting under my gun bench. It worked for less than 5 months, went back to Air Venturi,, came back, filled exactly 5 guns and died again. AV tells me it is probably the check valves. I just bought another 98 cf tank.
If you really want a compressor, save your pennies and buy a $2K plus one. The Nomad is a turd.
good to know m, thank you