• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

MOA or better with pellets... REALLY?

Hi Tony, followed you for years over at Bench Rest Cental and have always appreciated your skills at 50yd BR...

Although I no longer shoot 50yd BR, have converted to Airgun pistol, I enjoy your opinions here, 30 years of 50yd BR and Age and Medical issues have caught up to me so converted to Airgun in Basement and Garage, 8 & 10 meter....Nice to hear from you......

Chuck

4E5DF3C9-8253-4595-84D0-43B0319A3148.1611770560.jpeg

Hi Mike,

Congrats on an awesome target with your .177 posted above. You wrote on the target CPH "A". What is that referring to?

Also, given your experience with .177, .22 and .25's which caliber have you found to be the most predictable in the wind at 100? 

I have collected over the years many different years and dies of Crossman premier’s. I was able to buy out the inventory of a former top-tier national field target shooter after he went to 12 foot pounds. These were die A from 2008. They don’t have the reputation of the older die two and die six pellets, Maybe they should. He tied for first at nationals shooting these. I also bought up the stock from a former world champion, similar situation, I just happen to shoot with both these guys.

It’s interesting your question about The caliber of pellets and what does the best at long range. 

The obvious answer is the 25. A year ago everyone thought the 22 was the way to go. Frankly the heavy 22 to re-designs, Have been a huge disappointment for me. They were all the hype a year ago. I think a few guys got some good lots of pellets. I had maybe 2 tins out of 40 that were pretty good.

if I wanted to shoot a really tiny group at 100 yards. I would go with JSB 25 caliber kings, shooting at around 890 ft./s. That combination only works in extremely good conditions. In fact, trying to shoot a group of like the one posted above, in anything but absolutely mint conditions, in my opinion isn’t going to happen.

Below are some targets from that set up.
2D97514B-A39C-4748-BD2C-74CE691AD036.1612367487.jpeg

My second choice would be a 22, shooting 18 Grain JSB, Again at 890 ft./s. One summer I was fixated on shooting 10 shot groups. The results for my 22 are below. One day I shot seven groups under MOA, 10 shots each. This was in 2012. Targets below. One year before that I would’ve thought it was absolutely impossible to shoot a 10 shot group under an inch.

Targets from that rig below.
909A33ED-690F-4C13-A3D4-0058B3A4E709.1612367442.jpeg

then we step into today’s world. Rifles that shoot at the speed of sound. Which by the way was not supposed to work. Everyone knows that you can’t accurately shoot pellets anywhere near the speed of sound, let alone breaking it...These rifles can also be easily adjusted for power. I know I’m stating the obvious but it is a big change. Here are some five shot groups with my relatively new to me 25 red wolf. These were kings, shooting very fast.
2C09CC34-5CC2-4575-A756-F0974E739BEB.1612367960.jpeg

and here are 10 shots, shooting 18 grain silver 10 JS bees at over 1000 ft./s.

5A0A1199-5570-40DA-ACF2-02718EED55C8.1612368203.jpeg

I think if I were going to buy one rifle in one caliber to shoot at long range. I’d be looking at a used red wolf, there are many of them around right now. Make sure it has the newest board. And I would go with either 25 or 22. Probably leaning towards the 25 because I think there are better pellets available for long range shooting. They are more expensive.

Until last week I had never shot a group with a 17 caliber pellet gun that was less than half inch at 100 yards. I had shot half MOA groups. 

I didn’t get into slugs on purpose because I’m not an expert at all. I have tried knockouts in my 22 red wolf, with great success. They shoot so much better than the 22 redesign pellet, it’s not even comparable. Out of my rifle, they actually hit 8 inches higher than the redesign pellets at 100 yards. 

mike

Hi Mike,

Congrats on an awesome target with your .177 posted above. You wrote on the target CPH "A". What is that referring to?

Also, given your experience with .177, .22 and .25's which caliber have you found to be the most predictable in the wind at 100?

Hi Tony, followed you for years over at Bench Rest Cental and have always appreciated your skills at 50yd BR...

Although I no longer shoot 50yd BR, have converted to Airgun pistol, I enjoy your opinions here, 30 years of 50yd BR and Age and Medical issues have caught up to me so converted to Airgun in Basement and Garage, 8 & 10 meter....Nice to hear from you......

Chuck

Chuck,

Good hearing from you.

I may soon have to join you with the 8-10 meter airgun shooting. I've been having back problems for the last three weeks.

I'm at that stage where the mind is still willing but the body can't be relied upon.

Looking at that target that Mike shot in 18 degree weather, made me cringe. Good target too! 

TKH 

Good hearing from you.

I may soon have to join you with the 8-10 meter airgun shooting. I've been having back problems for the last three weeks.

I'm at that stage where the mind is still willing but the body can't be relied upon.

Looking at that target that Mike shot in 18 degree weather, made me cringe. Good target too! 

TKH

Tony

I was in a head on collision car accident 20 years ago, I also played hockey my entire youth and into college. Bottom line my back used to ache all the time. I believe what cured it for me was shooting field target. That combined with exercise, including bike riding. 

There is another guy who shoots field target out of Minnesota, he’s now on team USA. He went through the same back thing I did. We both started out shooting with straps, a device called a NADA chair. It seems to have cured my back. 

mike

Here is 25 with a center hold and no wind comp or sighters in similar conditions just after the good group. 

Mike

E2E485C2-2F1F-4F48-A37D-158519756B81.1612641209.jpeg

Mike,

I liked how you showed the two pics back to back, showing holding for wind and not holding for wind. I think a lot of new shooters don’t get this importance, and think you can just aim at the same point all day or adjust once. This is a great example for helping people understand the importance of wind reading. 

TIME OF FLIGHT makes a reasonable unit of measure when trying to compare the difference between pellets, slugs, PB rifles, etc ...

How long does it take that 6mm PPC to get to 600 yards? How far can a pellet shot at 850 fps get in that same length of time?

A JSB 8.44 .177 launched at 850 fps takes ~.207 seconds to reach 50 yards. A 17 HMR is at ~142 yards in the same amount of time.

At 100 yards the .177 has been in the air .48 seconds and in that time the 17 HMR has reached about 270 yards.

I view this "problem" as a "feature" of pellet rifles. I want that margin of safety I can't get any other way (with a long arm).

I should graph this but I'm just too lazy, maybe someone else will.

😉