• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

MOA or better with pellets... REALLY?

Stoti, good analogy... And I'd say shooting 25 shots on 25 bulls inside MOA in competition (all pellets inside the 1.2 inch 9 ring on an EBR target) is analogous to shooting a 59 on a round of golf...

It doesn't bother me, and in fact I post a magic group every now and then like the one I posted recently with my .25 Impact Slugger at 102 yards and about 0.4 inches ctc. But I couldn't do that "all day long"... ;) I agree with you that there are more and more Newbys getting into the sport, and just automatically believe they'll be shooting MOA at 100 yards with their new expensive pellet guns...

Your time will be better spent shooting targets for score.

Getting them to nest together is one thing, but getting them to go where you want them is another. 

Just saying!

TKH

Good point Tony. I look at it like crawl-walk-run progression. The shooting good groups is the walk part after getting your gun together which is the crawl part. The next progression after shooting groups is the run portion, shooting targets for score. As you progress as a shooter in order to improve your skills, shooting for score is a much better use of your time than shooting groups endlessly...

Just to add a bit of perspective here. The 1 MOA Holy Grail we airgunners seek is relatively easy to 50 yards. But if I'm not mistaken, this thread relates more or less directly to finding that Holy Grail at 100 yards, with pellets, consistently and/or as a consistent average; quite an elusive and often frustrating quest. Two points-

1) Like deer hunting by challenging means and methods, the extreme challenge keeps us interested.

2) Since the whole reason pellets exist is short-range shooting, and their advantages for short-range shooting, the 1 MOA at 100 yards quest is somewhat akin to tennis with whiffle-balls! 😳

Might say something about our sanity, huh? Not that I'm inferring anything related to airgunners' sanity... "Just sayin'". 😗

And lest anyone construe this post as throwing stones, understand the MOA at 100 yards quest has (to some degree) consumed the guy in the glass house for the last couple decades! 😂

Why I like FIELD TARGET so much. You need to be a good shooter no doubt, able to dope wind no doubt. Come end of a round target either fell or they did not !!!

Endless searching for tighter ES at a known distance ( BR ) IMO has nothing on the thrill of success over hitting targets of unknown KZ size at unknown distances with ever changing wind & shooting direction. Hell in FT we even get some Up / Down angles to further screw with your skill ability.

At our maximum 55 yards .... getting inside a 1 1/2" KZ hole can be very difficult for some.

We see folks frequently show up at FT matches be them club or more serious matches being SO CONFIDENT there background as a shooter is going to show up these guy and there BB guns. And YES this never happens or at least never seen it.

I like the crawl, walk, run analogy....but wonder why most on this forum skip right over attempting to even reasonably capture precision at 50y where it’s actually attainable with a pellet gun and jump right to 100 where it isn’t.

I think it’s the illusion that if you shoot at 100, you are doing something better than the precision shorter range disciplines despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. The fact that a guy can win a “big” 100y match without owning a set of wind flags is pretty telling.

Mike 

Because I started out in centerfire powder burner Benchrest, I have always believed that a small group is the true measure of the rifleman, the rifle, the scope the ammunition and the conditions. On top of that reading articles written by guys like Jim Carmichael, that was how a rifle was tested. You shot numerous five shot groups at 100 yards. You identified the best group and the average group, for different types of ammo.

I actually threw in the towel on competing in that type of benchrest sport, because a huge part of winning, came down the case prep, load work, and finding that magical hummer barrel. The serious guys like Tony, would buy five barrels, and compete with the best. I wasn’t in that league nor was I interested in pursuing it. I shot for years with a guy at a small private range in Minnesota. This was after I started shooting airguns. He would be sitting at his bench with his 6PPC, and I would be sitting in my bench next to him with my air rifle, both of us shooting at 100 yards. This gentleman ended up setting the world record For something I believe was called a machine rest rifle. It didn’t have a stock, it was an action mounted inside of a machine rest. He would sit for hours working up the best load, while was shooting my air guns. That was just my choice. The day he set the world record, was in an official match. He shot the smallest agg ever from that type of a rifle. I’m guessing here, but I’m betting Tony has set a few world records. So what did Jerry do that day he set the world record? He shot smaller groups than anyone else, not only on that day, but ever in the history of the sport. Will someone beat his record someday? Probably, they may have already. This was a few years ago. So we’re his groups repeatable? Heck no. Does that mean they weren’t good groups? Heck no. It just means on that day in that time in those conditions he was as good as anyone has ever shot.

What’s my point of that huge dialogue? I really enjoy shooting five shot groups. I found out I don’t really care about shooting 25 shot groups, especially with a pellet gun that’s not accurate enough to do so with consistency at 100 yards. 

What’s an MOA gun at 100 yards? It’s a rifle that in reasonable conditions you can put five shots in under an inch. Any decent centerfire rifle with handloads will do that every time, regardless of conditions (other than hurricane etc.). 

So what’s an MOA air rifle? No air rifle that I know of is going to shoot an MOA group in all conditions. If winds are switching and they’re above 5 miles an hour, you’re going to miss read the wind once in a while, and get caught in the switch, even Mike N. Or if you’re shooting pellets, which is what we’re discussing, you’re going to get flyers. Inexplicable shots. You know you made a good shot everything was right, you pull the trigger, and it lands an inch and a half low. There’s not a dang thing I can do about that, nor can anyone else on this thread.

So what is an MOA air rifle? I didn’t think it existed until a guy named Harry who lived in Australia, started posting 1 inch groups shot with air guns. Then he even posted a half inch group. Then he did it again. This is 12 years ago. Then other guys around the world started to try to do it, it literally seemed impossible. Then I did it once. Then one day I did it a dozen times. Conditions were obviously very good. Is that a MOA air rifle? Not really, it was a rapid shooting JSB jumbos at 890 ft./s.

then I built a rapid in 25, and tethered I could very consistently shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards, unless conditions were really bad. I will call consistently somewhere around 70% of the time. I was actually at this point trying to shoot 1/2 inch groups. The pellet of choice was of course the JSB King, shooting at 890 ft./s. I shot quite a few sub MO a 10 shot groups that summer. It wasn’t easy. Especially when you get up around shots 8 9 and 10.

Technology has improved significantly since then. This weekend I was shooting a red wolf 177 at 100 yards, just for fun. Just trying to see how it would group at 100 yards, five shot groups of course. I shot A half a dozen MOA groups on Sunday, with the 17 RW. In my opinion, that makes it a MOA rifle in the right conditions. If I want to shoot sub MOA all the time, I grab my 17 hornet PB.

I also shot the second smallest group I’ve ever shot with an air gun. It was right around 3/10 of an inch with a 17 caliber rifle at 100 yards. it was not calm, There was a nice steady left to right wind, with occasional switches. It was moving the pellets between one and 2 inches. I had one other group that day, where the first four shots were in less than a quarter inch, the fifth was about a half inch away.

even though I’m not an expert, I will say that I one hundred percent agree with Tony‘s comments. shooting small groups is a dying game. I’ve put this in posts before, the moving backer absolutely killed that sport. It’s too darn complex of a set up for every range in the nation to adopt.

So what I’ve discovered in the last six months, is that 100 yard benchrest with air guns and pellets doesn’t make any sense to me. I absolutely know without a doubt when I sit down to shoot 25 shots at 💯 yds, that some of them are not going to go where I expect them to. When I pull the trigger it’s beyond my ability to impact that.

On the other hand shooting small five shot groups is really fun for me. A lot of other people also enjoy it. I don’t care what anyone says, when you’ve got four shots in a small cluster, putting that fifth shot right on top of it is extremely difficult...And at 100 yards, wow!

I don’t understand why people get upset, when others are having fun shooting five shot groups. It was how benchrest was born. It has been the standard measurement of the accuracy of a rifle since time began.

I also keep hearing how easy it is. Yet, with the exception of Mike N (and he doesn’t even care). I bet there are very few people reading this thread who have shot 10+ 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with an air rifle. That’s with pellets, slugs, large caliber, small calibers, doesn’t matter.

And yes, the first shot really is free. I look at it as the calibration shot. But after that you have to hit the other shots. And you have to put them in there dead center. To shoot the fifth shot of a 3/10 of an inch group, you’ve got a hit a target that’s the size of a 30 caliber bullet at 100 yards. Four times, in a row. I not only do I find that hard, when I do it I find it really fun.

I would love to see anyone reading this take me up on the challenge to beat the group I’m going to put below. My guess is very few will even try. Most will say, it’s not important it’s only five shots.

I realize I am posting this on a bench rest forum, which is dedicated to shooting 25 shots for a match. That said, let the common man have his fun shooting some small groups! Who cares if it’s not repeatable, it’s fun. The more people who try to shoot at 100 yards, the more we’re going to learn. I’m sure before I’m pushing up grass we’re gonna be shooting at 200 yds with slugs.

You guys are the leaders of the pack, let the common man have some fun. Instead of knocking him down for shooting his smallest group ever, praise him or her. And yes I know there’s always going to be BS people out there, who put groups out that aren’t real. None of us can control that. And frankly who cares.

i’m not throwing in the towel on the 100 yard BR completely at this point, but right now I’m going to be sticking with field target for competition...And going long with air guns for fun.

Show me how easy this is, shoot a smaller group:

4E5DF3C9-8253-4595-84D0-43B0319A3148.1611770560.jpeg

Because I started out in centerfire powder burner Benchrest, I have always believed that a small group is the true measure of the rifleman, the rifle, the scope the ammunition and the conditions. On top of that reading articles written by guys like Jim Carmichael, that was how a rifle was tested. You shot numerous five shot groups at 100 yards. You identified the best group and the average group, for different types of ammo.

I actually threw in the towel on competing in that type of benchrest sport, because a huge part of winning, came down the case prep, load work, and finding that magical hummer barrel. The serious guys like Tony, would buy five barrels, and compete with the best. I wasn’t in that league nor was I interested in pursuing it. I shot for years with a guy at a small private range in Minnesota. This was after I started shooting airguns. He would be sitting at his bench with his 6PPC, and I would be sitting in my bench next to him with my air rifle, both of us shooting at 100 yards. This gentleman ended up setting the world record For something I believe was called a machine rest rifle. It didn’t have a stock, it was an action mounted inside of a machine rest. He would sit for hours working up the best load, while was shooting my air guns. That was just my choice. The day he set the world record, was in an official match. He shot the smallest agg ever from that type of a rifle. I’m guessing here, but I’m betting Tony has set a few world records. So what did Jerry do that day he set the world record? He shot smaller groups than anyone else, not only on that day, but ever in the history of the sport. Will someone beat his record someday? Probably, they may have already. This was a few years ago. So we’re his groups repeatable? Heck no. Does that mean they weren’t good groups? Heck no. It just means on that day in that time in those conditions he was as good as anyone has ever shot.

What’s my point of that huge dialogue? I really enjoy shooting five shot groups. I found out I don’t really care about shooting 25 shot groups, especially with a pellet gun that’s not accurate enough to do so with consistency at 100 yards. 

What’s an MOA gun at 100 yards? It’s a rifle that in reasonable conditions you can put five shots in under an inch. Any decent centerfire rifle with handloads will do that every time, regardless of conditions (other than hurricane etc.). 

So what’s an MOA a air rifle? No air rifle that I know of is going to shoot an MOA group in all conditions. If winds are switching and they’re above 5 miles an hour, you’re going to miss read the wind once in a while, and get caught in the switch, even Mike N. Or if you’re shooting pellets which is what we’re discussing, you’re going to get flyers. Inexplicable shots. You know you made a good shot everything was right, you pull the trigger and it lands an inch and a half low. There’s not a dang thing I can do about that or anyone else on this thread.

So what is an MOA air rifle? I didn’t think it existed until a guy named Harry who lived in Australia, started posting 1 inch groups shot with air guns. Then he even posted a half inch group. Then he did it again. This is like 12 years ago. Then other guys around the world started to try to do it, it literally seemed impossible. Then I did it once. Then one day I did it a dozen times. Conditions were obviously very good. Is that a MOA air rifle? Not really, it was a rapid shooting JSB jumbos at 890 ft./s.

then I built a rapid in 25, and tethered I could very consistently shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards unless conditions were really bad. I will call consistently somewhere around 70% of the time. I was actually at this point trying to shoot 1/2 inch groups. The pellet of choice was of course the JSB King, shooting at 890 ft./s. I shot quite a few sub MO a 10 shot groups that summer. It wasn’t easy. Especially when you get up around shots 8 9 and 10.

Technology has improved significantly since then. This weekend I was shooting a red wolf 177 at 100 yards, just for fun. Just trying to see how it would group at 100 yards, five shot groups of course. I shot A half a dozen MOA groups on Sunday, with the 17 RW. In my opinion, that is an MOA rifle in the right conditions. If I want to shoot sub MOA all the time, I grab my 17 hornet PB.

I also shot the second smallest group I’ve ever shot with an air gun. It was right around 3/10 of an inch with a 17 caliber rifle at 100 yards. it was not calm, There was a nice steady left to right wind, with occasional switches. It was moving the pellets between one and 2 inches. I had one other group that day, where the first four shots were in less than a quarter inch, the fifth was about a half inch away.

even though I’m not an expert, I will say that I one hundred percent agree with Tony‘s comments That shooting small groups is a dying game. I’ve put this in posts before, the moving backer absolutely killed that sport. It’s too darn complex of a set up for every range in the nation to adopt.

So what I’ve discovered in the last six months, is that 100 yard benchrest with air guns and pellets doesn’t make any sense to me. I absolutely know without a doubt when I sit down to shoot 25 shots at 💯 yds that some of them are not going to go where I expect them to, when I pull the trigger and it’s beyond my ability to impact that.

On the other hand shooting small five shot groups is really fun for me. A lot of other people also enjoy it. I don’t care what anyone says, when you’ve got four shots in a small cluster, putting that fifth shot right on top of it is extremely difficult...And at 100 yards, wow!

I don’t understand why people get upset, when others are having fun shooting five shot groups. It was how benchrest was born. It has been the standard measurement of the accuracy of a rifle since time began.

I also keep hearing how easy it is. Yet, with the exception of Mike N (and he doesn’t even care). I bet there are very few people reading this thread who have shot 10+ 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards, with an air rifle. That’s with pellets slugs large caliber small calibers, doesn’t matter.

And yes, the first shot really is free. I look at it as the calibration shot. But after that you have to hit the other shots. And you have to put them in there dead center. To shoot the fifth shot of a 3/10 of an inch group, you’ve got a hit a target that’s the size of a 30 caliber bullet at 100 yards. Four times, in a row. I not only do I find that hard, when I do it I find it really fun.

I would love to see anyone reading this take me up on the challenge to beat the group I’m going to put below. My guess is very few will even try. Mostly will say, it’s not important it’s only five shots.

I realize I am posting this on a bench rest forum, which is dedicated to shooting 25 shots for a match. That said, let the common man have his fun shooting some small groups! Who cares if it’s not repeatable, it’s fun. The more people who try to shoot at 100 yards, the more we’re going to learn. I’m sure before I’m pushing up grass we’re gonna be shooting at 200 with slugs.

You guys are the leaders of the pack, let the common man have some fun. Instead of knocking him down for shooting his smallest group ever, praise him or her. And yes I know there’s always going to be BS people out there who put groups out that aren’t real. None of us can control that. And frankly who cares.

i’m not throwing in the towel on the 100 yard BR completely at this point, but right now I’m going to be sticking with field target for competition, And going long with air guns for fun.

Show me how easy this is, shoot a smaller group:

4E5DF3C9-8253-4595-84D0-43B0319A3148.1611770560.jpeg

Wow this is outstanding group.Great shooting.I need to add my experience at 100y shooting.I haven't shoot alot like others at that distance but my best group at 94m or i think is 104y was 6 shoots at 13 mm which is around 1/2".I shoot it at light wind and light rain with my Vulcan gen4 .25 cal and Jsb 25 gr kings.It was probably just luck because most of my groups with that rifle were around 1.5'' at 100y.I also shoot a few under 1" groups with my Impact mk2 with Jsb Knockout slugs.I have owned many great pcp's over time but i can't say any was consistently moa 100 y rifle.I have done it from time to time(5 shoots) with different pcp's but i can't say it is a norm for any of them.

Regards Marko

With target shooting, there is no certainty. It's always the statistical probability.

To me, 1 MOA means that the setup has a standard deviation (one sigma, or 68.3%) diameter spread of 1 MOA.

That results in the following frequency for a 1 MOA group:

2 shot group: about 1/2 of all groups will be sub MOA.

3 shot group: about 1/3 of all groups will be sub MOA.

5 shot group: about 1/7 of all groups will be sub MOA.

and about 1/13,793 cards will be sub MOA for every shot in a 25 shot card.

Instead of 1 MOA standard deviation, If you had a setup with a 1/2 MOA standard deviation, 1/3 of your 25 shot cards would be sub MOA.

Pellets at 50yds are capable of 1 MOA.

As Tony mentioned in his response, the first shot really is free. That said they all have to be right in one place, obviously. Sometimes I shoot at targets, sometimes at a blank page. I buy reams of paper for five dollars. So on the first shot I calibrate for that group, because with pellets they’re never in the same spot. At least not if you’re measuring in tenths of an inch...

I had a left to right wind going that I was shooting in, with occasional switches. I knew I was hitting about a half inch high. The first shot hit approximately 3/4 to the right and a Slightly high. Harry used to call it the site picture. So the next shot I was holding slightly low 3/4 of an inch to the left. The second shot was literally right inside The first. You can see it’s a bigger hole. The third shot went a little bit left. So I adjusted a little bit right for the fourth shot, it was a little bit low also. After four, I realized how good a group I had going. We all know the fifth one could’ve easily been an inch and a half away. I held to the same right to left point of aim for the fifth shot, and held a little bit high, not enough to blow the group out but just edging that direction. It went a little bit high dead center. It increased the size of the group just slightly, Maybe 30 hundreds of an inch (I could’ve easily shot a 2...). I never hold off the full amount of the change, That was drilled into me by the BR PB guys I shot with for years. That leads to bigger groups when you don’t call it right. I was of course absolutely thrilled that my fifth shot just went slightly high and didn’t blow the group up. I shot it very quickly.

I’ve done it for so many years it becomes automatic to me. I don’t really think about it.

I was lucky I started that group on a clean sheet. That page of paper could’ve looked very different, with pellet holes all over it. I had just replaced all of my targets and my backer. I had only shot a couple groups.

I know this blank page bothers some, doesn’t bother me. I actually prefer it sometimes. I also shoot field target, which you have to hit the center of the target. This is different. At least for the first shot. On the second shot, third fourth and fifth, there’s obviously no room for error.

I had the opportunity when I was younger to go prairie dog hunting a couple of times with powder burners. It was a big process acquiring the firearms loading for it etc. etc. on a long shot, on a windy day we would hold off 3 feet to the right and 2 feet high at 480 yards, and score a hit (I had an excellent night force Scope with hashmarks, it was a very complex reticle) At that point it’s all about the site picture. This isn’t that much different.

I love shooting a tiny five shot group, and then taking the walk wondering if it’s a small as I think. This group was crazy. I almost duplicated it again the next day. See the very bottom pic.

9278C63F-995F-4B88-A999-F6C7EE78EBA0.1611931277.jpeg
F8251715-96DC-41D5-9E00-84869675326D.1611931277.jpeg
B41A7AF9-0FDC-4A5D-89E1-4DA2930BF3A7.1611931277.jpeg
3FEE5D21-FBE4-4127-B2DF-5C5E3518AFE1.1611931277.jpeg

image_2.1611932083.jpg

I seem to be seeing this very often lately at 100 yards, more so than the past couple of years. So I'd like to know what exactly that means to you. Does it mean you shot a magic group at 100 yards and it was 1 MOA? Pellets or Slugs? How many shots? Was it just one group or if you shot a series of 5+ shot groups, say 5 or 6 groups of 5, would it average "MOA or better"? Were they shot in real world or perfect conditions...?

I only bring it up since it seems every AGN member that posts lately seems to add the "MOA or better" phrase to their post.... The interesting part is that in real world conditions shooting 25 record shots at 25 individual bulls inside MOA is very extremely rare In fact, it hasn't been done yet in competition with pellets at 100 yards in ANY of the major 100 yard tournaments over the past five years. I'm not talking about shooting at dawn or dusk with almost zero or light wind, and shooting mulligans. ;) But real world - you pull the trigger - and it counts type shooting. You don't get to choose your favorite wind condition, you shoot when its your turn at the bench. Rant over... 

The reference to 25m individual shots, one per bull relates to ACCURACY, but sub-moa grouping ability is a measure of CONSISTANCY, which are related, but not the same.

Years back our club used to hold matches where the guy with the best aggregate of thirty groups fired three to each group won. The record at fifty yards with .22 pellets is still

a bit over a third of an inch (0.340” ctc) combined average for the thirty groups! But this is NOT accuracy, since little attempt was made to CENTER the groups on each bull! We chased the wind to keep shots close to each other, so a fair bit of accuracy was needed, but trying for bullseyes would typically result in larger groups was my observation.

I like the crawl, walk, run analogy....but wonder why most on this forum skip right over attempting to even reasonably capture precision at 50y where it’s actually attainable with a pellet gun and jump right to 100 where it isn’t.

I think it’s the illusion that if you shoot at 100, you are doing something better than the precision shorter range disciplines despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. The fact that a guy can win a “big” 100y match without owning a set of wind flags is pretty telling.

Mike

Wow Mike,

Lots of truth to that! Some years ago, me and a handful of other SoCal shooters went AZ State Airgun BR championship, combined with the First Extreme Benchrest match in AZ.

I noticed a dirth of windflags, and I think ONLY the guys from SoCal were using em! (Now we only shot as far as 75yds, no 100yd contest back then), and it was a scored event, not groups .... but a half dozen Ca. Shooters won most everything using over thirty flags, and I doubt there were more than three other flags out there for perhaps fifty other shooters.

That said, the winner DID use about five flags.

I felt most of the AZ. Guys were from the FT game, where flags are not allowed, but there may be more to this now that you mention it.

As Tony mentioned in his response, the first shot really is free. ...

Not really. The first shot is just as likely to deviate from your POA as is any other shot. You just don't have anything to compare to yet, so no way to know how bad it was until you complete the group.

Scott, I agree somewhat. For most official group shooting an aimpoint is used, but the strikepoint is normally away from the aimpoint to avoid obliterating it and making subsequent shots more dfficult.

Back in the day, we used to have regular airgun BR matches where we shot groups at fifty yards. At first we shot ten, but soon went to five ... but even with only five, it was tough to decide if it was five shots, or maybe fewer on the really tight groups (some looked like two shots rather than five (which was getting more common). I added backers three feet behind the cards, but it was still not definitive ... so it was 6 feet, which worked ok (five shot clusters spread as they passed the card and cardboard they were stapled to, to make spreads roughly twice the size or more in the backers). But the backers were too much of a pain to more every relay, so we went to more groups of fewer shots.

We settled on thirty groups of three shots each, using the NRA spec A-36 target, which has 10 record bulls and 2 sighter bulls per card. The bulls are near clones of the international 10M rifle target. Our rules required at least one shot to touch then black somewhere, with the others being in the white if desired. A large penalty (1inch added to that groups spread) was incurred if no shot touched black.

So, we all tried for a first shot touching the edge of the bull, and the rest as close as possible to it (we chased the first shot IF it was touching black, but went for black if it didnt.

Some pooh pooh three shot groups, but the aggregate of THIRTY of em tell the tale well enough about the best shooter/gun combo of the day.

It took an average of under 1 m.o.a. To win most events. Even now, my standard answer for whats a “M.O.A” gun s one that shoots into a minute ctc as often as not.

Hey guys I guess I didn't state my point very well.

The first shot being free has nothing to do with its point of impact.

As mentioned that can be where intended, or not.

I was thinking that the first bullet hole is zero since there are no others for comparison.

After the first shot point of impact is everything since there is a hole, or holes to compare it to.

So when you measure groups only four shots are being compared but it is called a 5 shot group. 

Yes I know you are looking at all 5 shots but you could not miss the first one. 

When you shoot a target for score, each shot is measured against a standard. 

At least that is my thinking.

TKH 

Hey guys I guess I didn't state my point very well.

The first shot being free has nothing to do with its point of impact.

As mentioned that can be where intended, or not.

I was thinking that the first bullet hole is zero since there are no others for comparison.

After the first shot point of impact is everything since there is a hole, or holes to compare it to.

So when you measure groups only four shots are being compared but it is called a 5 shot group. 

Yes I know you are looking at all 5 shots but you could not miss the first one. 

When you shoot a target for score, each shot is measured against a standard. 

At least that is my thinking.

TKH 

Scot’s point is strong too. Unless the first shot went wild, it counts the same as the others, since its just as likely to be in relation to the aimpoint as any other.

With a five shot group, ultimately you’re going to be measuring the two furthest apart. I guarantee you that mathematically the first shot Is part of the calculation approximately two out of five times. The same as shots two through five.

You could also catch a stray breeze on shot one and not realize it, and then start out with a large group, with just two shots fired.

mike

With a five shot group, ultimately you’re going to be measuring the two furthest apart. I guarantee you that mathematically the first shot Is part of the calculation approximately two out of five times. The same as shots two through five.

You could also catch a stray breeze on shot one and not realize it, and then start out with a large group, with just two shots fired.

mike

Mike,

I see your point and I can't argue your math.

My thinking was I feel no real pressure when I fire the first shot in a group even though I have an expected point of impact. (BTW: This is never my point of aim). 

If the bullet hits somewhere else I do not suffer a down grade to my score. 

When I shoot for score each shot is a potential down grade.

TKH