• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

MOA, MIL or Both?

I'll mention this then leave well enough alone. And BTW I think I've made every mistake a person can make using a rifle scope.

My advice is to find the one value you like best and stay with it.
I started with MOA, then went to IHPY, then onto MIL. So now I've settled on mostly FFP, .1mil clicks, 10 mil per revolution, with zero stops and all but three of my scopes have .2 mil holdover tree reticles. I also have a few mil/mil SFP scopes because these are for a specific purpose when SFP is more ideal. I make less mistakes because it has a familiarity aspect to it.

A friend used a MOA scope in a match yesterday. He forgot it had 8 clicks per MOA and because he also uses MIL scopes with .1 mil clicks which are 10 clicks per MIL he got confused which caused him to dial wrong and get a poorer score than he usually does. He's not an inexperienced shooter. It got him without realizing it until the points were lost without time to recover.

Another common mistake that happens is when switching back and forth from FFP to SFP scopes is forgetting to put the magnification back to where MIL or MOA values are correct in the SFP if one wants to holdover and holdoff. This is why I prefer FFP for most of my shooting because sometimes I forget when I get my SFP scope out when I use holdovers.

I learned a lesson last year that I prefer SFP high magnification scopes with a simple reticle for Benchrest. I'd still like one in MIL but with .05 mil clicks.

Reactions: RobHales