• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

MOA @ Different Magnification

I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but it wouldn't be my first time: I have a 6-24x56mm Sidewinder with an SR Pro reticle, I have MOA marks all over this reticle, per the Hawke website all data is given at 8 x, but I never use 8 power, is there a way I can convert to inches at different magnifications?

​I am hoping there is a book or article to explain this, so a link in the right direction would greatly be appreciated.

Use the chair gun application you're able to change magnifications once you have a baseline setting that will correct your numbers for you for a given trajectory at higher power
Chair gun is available in the app store for Android as well as Apple and of course your laptop or your tablet just be sure to choose the proper reticle and you should be good to go
Hope this helps and good luck
John

Have ChairgunPro, on my IPhone the range finder target size is at 0.5", wind 10 mph, angle = 90 degrees, when I change magnification and see the yardage on the reticle change and see the target move with the wind and see the windage given in inches, but I don't see any horizontal reticle marks and when I go out in yardage the dang target goes off the screen? What am I missing???

It sounds like you need to go into point of impact if I'm correct sounds to me like you're using range finding
Go to the other side and do a POI that will give you the inches and your Windrift don't know if it works with the SR Pro you may have to go through chair gun to do that
But it does sounds simple enough I think you'll be okay with what I just suggested

Is the below correct? Different approach, different numbers!!!
Noted below is in reference to the horizontal hash marks on SR Pro reticle;

​@ 8x 1 hash mark = 2.86 MOA, given per Hawke Optics
​@ 16x 1 hash mark = 5.72 MOA ?
@ 24x 1 hash mark = 8.58 MOA ??
1 MOA = 1" @ 100 yards 
@ 100 yards, 1 hash mark @ 24x = 8.58"@ 50 yards, 1 hash mark @ 24x = 4.24"@ 25 yards, 1 hash mark @ 24x = 2.12"

You must understand that the relationship between magnification and reticle subtension (your MOA figures above) is inversely proportional, not proportional as your thinking, i.e at 16X the MOA is .5 what it is at 8X...2X the magnification but 1/2 the subtension.

Here's a tutorial on reticle applications I did many years ago now--
specialtypistols.infopop.cc/Reticle_Ranging___App.pdf
Check out #4, pg. 4