Mo power equals mo money

So I’ve been immersed in “adult airguns” for about two decades now. I recall that the trend about ten, or so, years ago was that as caliber size increased for a particular model so did price. It seemed that .177 and .22 were priced the same. Then, there was a bump in price from .22 to .25, then another from .25 to .30, and so on. Quite a few retailers adopted this practice across several brands.

It seems, for the most part, that this practice dwindled to a degree. Other than demand for big “American Power”, I never quite understood this pricing phenomenon. Sure, demand spurs capitalism.. yadda yadda.. I do suppose that if you really want to be nitpicky, then the xtra barrel length can justify a slight price increase, but not hundreds more. Back in the day, and still to a degree today, some caliber options meant that a different brand of barrel was used, explaining so variation in pricing.

Now, let me give you a modern day extreme example - Brocock’s Magnum vs. non-Magnum versions.

When pricing out the difference in the same caliber between both options you a looking at roughly a grand in pricing difference, granted the non-Magnum is on sale. However, even when comparing the pricing before the sale, I can’t see anything worthwhile to explain the difference. Anyone see something that I may be missing other than good ‘ol capitalism at work?

Thanks,

HMMM ? like most your forgetting the cost of design and engineering and liability . Mo power = stronger components in basically the same gun(and everyone wants a light gun )

Liability is why small aircraft cost so much ..

I’m not too sure that this is accurate enough to warrant a $1,000 difference in what is essentially the same rifle. The blocks are the same, bottle, stock, and potentially the barrel to a dagree. The only difference should be the reg and hammer. 

I see quite simply as this ....

MANY consumer products have BASE MODELS and then a tier of factory upgrade models or versions. Having the manufacturer doing Bling / Performance / Power etc type upgrades has always been disproportional to the cost of the actual parts & pieces that make up any said upgrade.

This for Many is there and available for the simple Fact folks simply Can't or Won't do upgrades or modifications on there own after a purchase.

Can't blame manufactures for capitalizing on this trend of folks wanting all the bells & whistles .... bitching about the price also has a cure ??? Buy a base model and upgrade or modify it yourself !!

JMO

Reactions: Ezana4CE