MKII swapping barrels vs new M3

Hello all, I’m betting this has likely been discussed a bazillion times already but my search didn’t bring me much luck

Anyways I have a great shooting modded MKII in .22 throwing knockouts. I absolutely love the .22 and yet owning a farm there’s always critters thinking they might wanna live in our driveshed, barn or peeling the Fascia off the house roof would be appreciated. These rascals deserve a swift dispatching and why I’ve been toying with the idea of a .30…..the .22 works great but on bigger animals like raccoons too many times a second shot is required where as the bigger caliber should take care of that.

Up here in Canada our beloved government won’t allow the use of suppressors so a longer 700mm barrel tuned down does help with not alerting every neighbour within earshot.

I’m of the mindset to have each individual tool setup to do its job but with the cost of another Impact to use only on occasion the idea of a .30 barrel is definitely cost effective but when the need arises to swap out the barrel, pellet probe and optics seems counterintuitive.

Someone mentioned to leave reg, HST, everything alone to swap from .22-.30, just have the .30 scope set up and swap out barrel, probe and optics to go to the heavier caliber and as convenient as that may sound, it’s doesn’t make for optimum performance either.

I’d appreciate your feedback, Thank you

Happy July 4th everyone

It is possible to set up an Impact so that one can switch between .22 and .30 with only the need to adjust the Power wheel (and probably Valve adjuster) plus change the elevation turret on the scope.

It’s not easy, and you will likely not have the optimum tune for either pellet (and notice I said PELLET, since its much, much harder for slugs-don’t ask how I know…) but it will be good enough. I certainly was able to switch my Crowns between .22 and .30 with only a power wheel and Transfer port change, and my Impacts have routinely gone from .25 to .30 in similar fashion. It’s a bit easier in the Impact than the Crown due to the extreme adjustability of the Impact.

In the end I simply found it easier to have two Crowns (one in .22 and one in .30) and two Impacts (.25 and .30), with each one tuned for its own caliber and then using the adjustments to be dead on with different pellets (e.g. 18.1 vs 25.4 in .22). Of course, this is a lot more expensive.

And, oh yes, as a dual US/Canadian, Happy Canada Day!

Reactions: ColonelPlink
Hello all, I’m betting this has likely been discussed a bazillion times already but my search didn’t bring me much luck

Anyways I have a great shooting modded MKII in .22 throwing knockouts. I absolutely love the .22 and yet owning a farm there’s always critters thinking they might wanna live in our driveshed, barn or peeling the Fascia off the house roof would be appreciated. These rascals deserve a swift dispatching and why I’ve been toying with the idea of a .30…..the .22 works great but on bigger animals like raccoons too many times a second shot is required where as the bigger caliber should take care of that.

Up here in Canada our beloved government won’t allow the use of suppressors so a longer 700mm barrel tuned down does help with not alerting every neighbour within earshot.

I’m of the mindset to have each individual tool setup to do its job but with the cost of another Impact to use only on occasion the idea of a .30 barrel is definitely cost effective but when the need arises to swap out the barrel, pellet probe and optics seems counterintuitive.

Someone mentioned to leave reg, HST, everything alone to swap from .22-.30, just have the .30 scope set up and swap out barrel, probe and optics to go to the heavier caliber and as convenient as that may sound, it’s doesn’t make for optimum performance either.

I’d appreciate your feedback, Thank you

Happy July 4th everyone

[WTS] Evanix REX Rifle 35 cal $550 PRICE REDUCED!! , just a thought ? saw a few minutes ago on here​

It is possible to set up an Impact so that one can switch between .22 and .30 with only the need to adjust the Power wheel (and probably Valve adjuster) plus change the elevation turret on the scope.

It’s not easy, and you will likely not have the optimum tune for either pellet (and notice I said PELLET, since its much, much harder for slugs-don’t ask how I know…) but it will be good enough. I certainly was able to switch my Crowns between .22 and .30 with only a power wheel and Transfer port change, and my Impacts have routinely gone from .25 to .30 in similar fashion. It’s a bit easier in the Impact than the Crown due to the extreme adjustability of the Impact.

In the end I simply found it easier to have two Crowns (one in .22 and one in .30) and two Impacts (.25 and .30), with each one tuned for its own caliber and then using the adjustments to be dead on with different pellets (e.g. 18.1 vs 25.4 in .22). Of course, this is a lot more expensive.

And, oh yes, as a dual US/Canadian, Happy Canada Day!
I planned on using the 44g JSB pellets with the .30 and also had thought of swapping the USO 2.5-20X scope I’ve got setup for the .22 and have the Hawke Sidewinder 30 dialled in for the .30.

I guess in reality swapping barrels and optics from one to another for a need it’s now as the fox is in the henhouse situation but then swapping pellet probes over too and sure enough being rushed and knowing how my luck can go sometimes, I’d stripped that tiny Allen screw holding the probe haha.

I would suggest another gun in .30 , read here to find a suitable 2nd gun maybe a Gauntlet , much less cost for an accurate less used .30 .
Does make sense too as my intentions for a .30 is to be used primarily inside 100yds. I’m not sure if the Gauntlet is offered up here with all our crazy restrictions. I know we have AV Avenger (I think it’s called) but I’ve only seen them offered in .22/.25 but for the price something like that would be ideal

[WTS] Evanix REX Rifle 35 cal $550 PRICE REDUCED!! , just a thought ? saw a few minutes ago on here​

If it’s for sale in the land of the free, I’ll never get it over here unfortunately. How our government won’t allow us to have a Maverick yet the Impact they have let pass. They are after so many firearms, Air/powder it doesn’t matter especially anything that looks tactical and scary, they want em all, handgun sales or possession is close to being taken from us also, crazy times

I just received one FX Impact "calibre conversion kit" for my other project and tinkering where to start.
If your idea was to swap there and back between .22 and .30 calibers, I would suggest don't go that way. Yes it is cheaper but not convenient, you will be more a mechanic then a shooter. I would suggest get a another gun for .30, but just to know it will be much louder then a .22.

Edit:
I just saw this one at CAF:

Kral , i only know of posts here , never handled one , but i think i would work for you in .30 if i was in the market for a .30 i would buy a used one .
$700 shipped or can you pick up ? Try $600 with shipping or $600 and shipping ,$700 seems a bit much for a used 1K gun at least to me .

Kral , i only know of posts here , never handled one , but i think i would work for you in .30 if i was in the market for a .30 i would buy a used one .
$700 shipped or can you pick up ? Try $600 with shipping or $600 and shipping ,$700 seems a bit much for a used 1K gun at least to me .
Retailer with this used Kral is roughly 3hrs away so ya shipping would be required. He’s asking 70% of new which is pretty standard up here on used. Some dreamers advertise their used too many times pretty well same price as new haha. I’m not sure what these .30 Krals will be like but it might just suit my needs as long as it’s accurate throwing those 44g JSB pellets out to 100ish

I have an Impact MK2 compact (500mm) in .25cal and a .22cal kit with a 600mm barrel. The reasoning I used for this combination was an ease of tuning between the two calibers. The .25cal is used for coyotes, nutria, and racoons while the .22cal is most often used for ground squirrels and nuisance birds. These days I am shooting the .25cal most often, but when long range is called for the .22cal and Neilson slugs comes out.

I was tuning and retunning last year and I got really tire of playing mechanic. Even tuning between pellets and slugs is time consuming if you want to make it right that is at least a tuna can for pellets and with slugs 2x. Finally ended up with - keeping my .25 Impact with slugs and don't touch it any longer, and got a Leshiy2 in .22 for pellets. We had some vacuum with .22 for several months this year so I got a .25 barrel for the L2 as well to fill the gaps.
Retuning is time and money and usually when you need one setup it happens that exactly that day you are on the other side of the line. Murphy's Law...

I have an Impact MK2 compact (500mm) in .25cal and a .22cal kit with a 600mm barrel. The reasoning I used for this combination was an ease of tuning between the two calibers. The .25cal is used for coyotes, nutria, and racoons while the .22cal is most often used for ground squirrels and nuisance birds. These days I am shooting the .25cal most often, but when long range is called for the .22cal and Neilson slugs comes out.
I’ve thought about getting a .25 but with us not legally able to use suppressors anything but a 700mm barrel (that barks loud enough on its own) is too loud for my liking. With me having my MKII .22 dialled in using 25.39G knockouts, only make sense to have a .25 to throw 35G+.

I’ve seriously been considering an Air Venturi Avenger and being there isn’t one of the 4 AG dealers here in this country with one in .30, a 25 is my only option. I’m sure tho from the videos I’ve seen, expecting to use 35G slugs through an Avenger, velocities will be surely down around 800fps but for the price of $420 it’s sure tempting

The caliber switch is nice but to me a little gimmicky. Once you find that perfect tune on an impact are you REALLY going to want to tear it down for the occasional use of another caliber? It sounds good but If I were a betting man when it came right down to it the answer is no. Sometimes a different gun is just the best option.

The caliber switch is nice but to me a little gimmicky. Once you find that perfect tune on an impact are you REALLY going to want to tear it down for the occasional use of another caliber? It sounds good but If I were a betting man when it came right down to it the answer is no. Sometimes a different gun is just the best option.
You nailed it !! Taking the time, burning up ammo and air to really tweak a rifle in only to pull it apart to use the odd time is what’s kept me from buying the barrel kit. Not sure if you guys know how lucky you have things down there but the cost of the barrel kit, a mag, carbon fibre barrel sleeve and 15 tins of pellets is pretty well 1/3 price of a new Impact