• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Arms Mk1 or mk2 stock refinish!!

Congrats on the awards but still light colored stocks are for sissies who cant do wood work lol

I can do Walnut-stained whitewood, but outgrew FAUX 'Walnut' shortly after doing this one-

AR Nats trophy.JPG

Being a lover of not just Walnut, my wood fetish extends far and wide. And my superior finishes extend beyond competition titles and records.

You wish you could do woodwork and finishes like these-

FN grip R.jpg

3 Bows Side.jpg

1701 grips.JPG

Snake Tau Close up.JPG

No; that's neither FAUX Walnut; nor FAUX Prairie Rattler skin under that superior finish.

RS close up.JPG

A real Walnut-adorned laminated-whitewood stock.

Real men don't stain whitewoods; they adorn them! We look forward to seeing your Walnut-stained-whitewood results.(y)

• Wow
Reactions: Keene and bf1956
I don't understand why many wood-workers feel compelled to disguise nice natural wood with walnut stain. I see enough personality in that wood that I'd leave it 'in the white', and exaggerate that natural personality under a magnifying-glass of quality soft satin sheen finish. Like these-

View attachment 466533

View attachment 466534

View attachment 466541

BTW, your stock is begging for a nice, contrasting grip-cap. Like these-

View attachment 466542

View attachment 466545
Really Nice work!

I used stain on my Marlin, but I rubbed it in, then off, attempting to enhance the grain character. It was sunglasses white. It came out pretty nice.

Screenshot_20240524_132411_Gallery.jpg

Its a little to dark once i put a spot of danish oil i need to mix it lighter or try the artist oil paint mixed with mineral spirts. Crappy part is that company declined my order of minwax antique oil finish. Said it is out of stock lol there site still says its in stock.

View attachment 466959

View attachment 466960
Fine job - and I like the color too. Get a spot of oil on it to get a sense of where you are first and before you do anything else. Hand rubbing some finish on and wiping off may lighten the stain slightly. Might also give a 1/2 shade darker too.

I can do Walnut-stained whitewood, but outgrew FAUX 'Walnut' shortly after doing this one-

View attachment 466897

Being a lover of not just Walnut, my wood fetish extends far and wide. And my superior finishes extend beyond competition titles and records.

You wish you could do woodwork and finishes like these-

View attachment 466883

View attachment 466888

View attachment 466891

View attachment 466902
No; that's neither FAUX Walnut; nor FAUX Prairie Rattler skin under that superior finish.

View attachment 466904

A real Walnut-adorned laminated-whitewood stock.

Real men don't stain whitewoods; they adorn them! We look forward to seeing your Walnut-stained-whitewood results.(y)

WTF Yo!

Awesome!!!

Excellent thread, and some great work above!

As an aside...remember that not all walnut is dark. European walnut (juglans regia) is a different species than North Americah black walnut (juglans nigra) and usually has a paler, warmer tone.

Anyone with a "sissy" gun like this they need to get rid of, should let me know right away!

IMG_0411.jpeg

Last edited:
I used a mix of Danish oil and a bit of artist paint in burnt umber and crimson, and it turned out really nice. The key was applying thin layers and letting each one dry fully before adding the next. Be patient, and don't rush it. I also tried wood dye mixed with mineral spirits on a test piece first to see how it would react. It helped achieve a richer tone without the grain going too dark.

Reactions: wijib