• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Arms Mk1 or mk2 stock refinish!!

Refinishing dads beech stock i think his is the mk 1 or 2. Beech is a pain in the azz to stain and i have some danish dark walnut oil and i am going to try it mixed with oil artist paint in cocoa brown and crimson red and hope the grain doesn't do that dark crap. I also have some wood die and mineral spirts and see if that will work. I have used rit dye before with sucess. Guess we will see.

20240522_011113.jpg

20240522_011118.jpg

20240522_011141.jpg

I don't understand why many wood-workers feel compelled to disguise nice natural wood with walnut stain. I see enough personality in that wood that I'd leave it 'in the white', and exaggerate that natural personality under a magnifying-glass of quality soft satin sheen finish. Like these-

180 bulkfill rifle.jpg

180 HPA pistol.JPG

TW 160.JPG

BTW, your stock is begging for a nice, contrasting grip-cap. Like these-

180 grip cap.JPG

LS 180 grip.JPG

I personally despise plain white wood I hate it its like having a pine stock. Lol you might like it but 99.3% as myself hate plain white stocks. Also in that color the grain doesnt pop.

Dads is going to be a lighter color i tested a water based coca brown and red in alcohol and it didnt blotch real bad then i put danish dark walnut which unless its walnut it isnt really that dark with beech. Hopefully it will turn out we will see.

Reactions: JimBentley
I personally despise plain white wood I hate it its like having a pine stock. Lol you might like it but 99.3% as myself hate plain white stocks. Also in that color the grain doesnt pop.

Dads is going to be a lighter color i tested a water based coca brown and red in alcohol and it didnt blotch real bad then i put danish dark walnut which unless its walnut it isnt really that dark with beech. Hopefully it will turn out we will see.
In my experience, getting the color satisfactory with dye is relatively easy….it’s applying the finish that’s the challenge. Wiping or brushing finish over dye “floats” the finish and creates uneven color. If you only have that option…apply quickly and don’t play with it. You can even out the finish once the color is sealed. If you have access to spray equipment..now’s the time to use it. If not…Preval spray units can do a respectable job. Good luck.John

What did you use to strip the original finish? I just discovered that the "Nanny State" seems to have banned the finish strippers that I used to rely on.

thanks
I used a scraper or any piece of metal that will bend a lil and you put a flat edge on it. and for the tough spots/areas i used citristrip on the checkering twice with saran wrap for 24hours per soak and used brass brush for checkering. Also go get some blue wolf cleaner to clean up stock with water to get it super clean. Then you sand and etc.

Reactions: Star7
In my experience, getting the color satisfactory with dye is relatively easy….it’s applying the finish that’s the challenge. Wiping or brushing finish over dye “floats” the finish and creates uneven color. If you only have that option…apply quickly and don’t play with it. You can even out the finish once the color is sealed. If you have access to spray equipment..now’s the time to use it. If not…Preval spray units can do a respectable job. Good luck.John
I tested it last night with alcohol mixed with wood dye then i put watco danish dark walnut over it and it seemed to blend nice and one section i tried a hickory gel and it covered grain to much. And plain oil was to light. In the past i have used rit dye on older beech stock it was tiger berch or tiger beech whatever its called. I used a the rit dye to get the red in the stock period correct and used a m1garand oil and a m1 garand bees wax mix to keep it period correct. I done this m1 years ago my Hr and my springfield.

Screenshot_20240509_182641_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240509_182656_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240509_182649_Facebook.jpg

I tested it last night with alcohol mixed with wood dye then i put watco danish dark walnut over it and it seemed to blend nice and one section i tried a hickory gel and it covered grain to much. And plain oil was to light. In the past i have used rit dye on older beech stock it was tiger berch or tiger beech whatever its called. I used a the rit dye to get the red in the stock period correct and used a m1garand oil and a m1 garand bees wax mix to keep it period correct. I done this m1 years ago my Hr and my springfield.

View attachment 466723

View attachment 466725

View attachment 466726
Very Nice!.. I’m glad you were able to get the results you were looking for….nice Garand..one of my favorite rifles..John