• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Mixing pellets across tins?

I am sorry for the question if it is too general. I am used to lot testing of .22lr ammo. I do not see on the tins any lot identified. Head size, weight, etc. Is a tin similar to a lot in some way. Can tins be mixed with one another?

I weight sort by tins of a specific head size from the same manufacturer. Can these sorted of the same weight be mixed?

Probably. IMO you hit diminishing returns after sorting for head size with a pellet gager and checking skirts. At least on the better pellets like the AA below.

1668222843399.png

I tried the premium grade and didn't see the value. I think it had a lot # - should have for the $. Good luck!

1668223037398.png

Reactions: drpietrzak
Probably. IMO you hit diminishing returns after sorting for head size with a pellet gager and checking skirts. At least on the better pellets like the AA below.

View attachment 304750

I tried the premium grade and didn't see the value. I think it had a lot # - should have for the $. Good luck!

View attachment 304751

I use the AA listed. The 10.3's are typically 10.3 or 10.4 with a few scatter wild. The 8.4's range from 8.3 to 8.5 with a few 8.5 and then wild assortment.

I sort first by weight. I sort all my JSB/FX and mix the tins together. They are all over the board weight-wise so lot number makes no difference to me. I tried buying by lot number and have not found a vendor willing to do that, so I gave up. Sorting by weight helps to even out the variations. Then I sort the batches I've already made. I sort for head size. I have NEVER found pellets that measure up to the stated head size (at least with JSB or FX) they are always over sized. Fortunately my RAWs don't care so much which head size, as long as the batch I am shooting are all the same. Maybe this makes sense and helps answer your question. This sorting discussion has occurred so many times in the last year maybe folks are tired of responding?

My advice if you’re concerned about accuracy or target shooting don’t mix tins of pellets especially if they are JSB. Most are coming to you with out lot #’s, it also requires a lot of testing to find a pellet your specific gun likes or will shoot to your standard’s.

There is more to knowing why your gun will shoot one lot # better than another’s not just weight or head size.

Reactions: drpietrzak