• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Missing our shooting club

About once a month a bunch of us get together in Cross, SC and shoot the whole day. It's a 3hr drive for me and I get up at the crack of dawn and go, don't get home till 9-10pm. Totally worth it. I love going.

This coronavirus thing has been a real Debbie Downer on our gathering. I've abstained from the last two gatherings.

So now the Governor is opening up the state (SC) to stuff like this. But my wife and I are in our mid 50s and we have a 11mo baby in the house. I can't risk getting any of us sick.

I understand opening things up, the economic impact is staggering, my business is suffering too, but are we really ready? Will it be a repeat of the 1918 flu where they opened up too early and millions died? Not trying to be a sissy here, even if I say I can tough out a sickness I really need to consider the health of our baby.

Good hygiene, is it really enough?

UGH, so hard to stay home and not be social. I really want to go places and do things, but then I think of our baby on a ventilator or worse and...

This sweet little baby.

1587500252_21346123775e9f54dc99bfe7.53485182.jpg

{**edit: Wifey warning: apparently there's perv's out there and a naked baby is right up their deranged alley, photo replaced with a clothed one. Not saying one of you, but posting pics on the net...}

You are doing it right by staying home. Good hygiene and distancing helps keep us safe at least until someone doesn't do it. I am 67 live alone and am at risk for sure. So I feel lucky my club cancelled all meetings and competition shooting but still lets those who want to shoot come out and do so. We practice our distancing and get along fine. I am quite often the only one there weekdays. At most there are two or three others so we are 50+ft apart for the most part. It's the only thing I do to get out of the house these days. These are some crazy times for sure.

A cutie for sure looks like a happy one as well.

Absolutely the right thing, be cautious. I'm 70, and we have 4 local grand kids, ages 2-7, and we have done only a few outside visits during nice weather. Nothing is without risk, but so far, that is our comfort level. I just read where the chairman of the joint chiefs said, based on the military infection experience, they estimate that as many as 60-70% of persons infected do not become symptomatic. So, you have to be very careful, both to avoid infection and spreading it. And I think we are opening things up to quickly. The medical professionals say a second wave is not just a chance, but a sure thing. We have a president who doesn't get it, and is too self absorbed to try and understand it. I remember one famous study of learning, and the first stage is, unconscious incompetence; i.e., we don't know what we don't know. Most of us advance to recognizing what we don't know, and then try to learn it. Our leadership seems stuck in phase one. 

You are definitely doing the right thing by staying home practicing good hygiene! My wife is an RN and does care for covid patients...she has to wear moon garb and go through many protocols just to leave the patients room and the patients are all alone (very isolated) and some very ill (on ventilators)...not worth jeopardizing your families health or yours, especially your beautiful daughters....

I'm 78, and go out to the supermarket (with the mandated mask) almost every day. Live free or die. If Churchill worried about the death count during 31 nights of the Blitz, he would have handed England over to Hitler. But that is just me...plus we have no child to take care of. I've had a very good life, but I don't want to spend the last years of it hiding in a closet.