Missed more than I hit.

I made a quick trip to the farm today on the ATV. It has been months since I was out there. I am rusty as heck with the pest control game - but had a good time. I am still working on the Tactacam - I have a long way to go to rival the rest of y'all.

One of the solid hits I made.
One where i gave just a haircut
And one where I shot the squirrel through the spine.

The 1st and 3rd videos I failed to adjust to the distance, these shots were close - less than 20 yards.. The middle video was about 35 yards which is within my Point Blank Zero range 20-35y. That middle shot was square in the eyeball and instant lights out. I put down 11 ground squirrels today.

I share the scope on that gun with my Ruger 10/22. I mounted and zeroed the scope and camera today at home. My sloppiness today was influenced by shooting from the ATV saddle and from being tired. I worked last night and had not slept before the trip.

Kral Puncher Breaker @23ft/lb
.22 Hades
Discovery 5-25 FFP

@JimNM I experienced something similar and it’s why I didn’t take my Tactacam on my last hunt. On the hunt before that one I missed all of my shots. When you shoot without the camera affixed, how is your POI looking? At which distances were you shooting from?
I endorse this message. But I've yet to hit a damn squirrel, maybe next week when my life settles down a touch.

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Those work too. I have found grey squirrel sounds work best. It's a competition drive, I think. Distress sounds work well when the beldings are out. We are a bit early still for the young and dumb ones. Only saw adults and yearlings today.

Ground squirrels use a very high pitch alarm call to warn of danger. I have had no luck with that sound.

@JimNM Seasons must run a little different from region to region. The first grey squirrel of this spring season I shot was a young and dumb juvenile sow that didn’t know when to stop barking and run. I’ve only used distress calls to get them to move while hiding atop tree branches in the canopy shielded by leaves. I mimic the sound with my mouth and a lot of times they take off running. Haven’t done that since last year.

Your sounds in the video almost sounded like the squirrels out there were making them. I don’t know much about ground squirrels. I learn from you guys. Are you saying that grey squirrel sounds are effective to draw out ground squirrels as well?

That is affirmative. The only grond squirrel calls I have are for alarm/alert. That scares the GS back underground. My GS are colloquially known as Rock Squirrel.

The grey squirrel sound makes them pop out of their holes and look around. I presume it is so they can identify who is the new guy in the neighborhood, and assess if that sound is a threat. We do not have tree squirrel in my environment. So far, that has been effective.

We do have prairie dogs about 100 miles away, but I have not tried to use the calls on them (yet).

Reactions: Ezana4CE