Minute-Of-Bird (MOB) accuracy - The real size of pest bird bodies

There has been a lot of great pest bird shooting videos recently on the web (Bob O, Matt D, Air Hunters). It got me wondering just how small some of these pest bird bodies actual are. So, last month I saved a pigeon, starling and sparrow that Mike (from W.V.) shot with is .25 Impact at 47 FPE. It really tore up the sparrow and I had a hard time keeping it together. 

Here are the birds as you would see them. On the left is a normal store bought egg for size comparison.

aZNDE0h.jpg
[/url][/img

Here they are plucked. It's amazing how small of a body the sparrow has, a kill zone about the size of a U.S. quarter. The starling body is about the size of the egg. The pigeon body is about 2" wide and 4" tall kill zone.

NsdYv2o.jpg
[/url][/img]

Now when you see a starling getting whacked at over 100 yards you know what kind of accuracy and shot it took.

I can hit a honey bee at 100 yard 7 out of 10 times with my impact. These birds are no challenge. Most modern pcp airgun will do under .50 inches at 50 yards and under 1" at 100 yard.

Please post a video of you shooting sparrows or starlings at 100 yds. "No challenge" should equate to 8/10 hits for you easily. Or maybe stretch it out to 150yds and see if it poses a challenge.

I can hit a honey bee at 100 yard 7 out of 10 times with my impact. These birds are no challenge. Most modern pcp airgun will do under .50 inches at 50 yards and under 1" at 100 yard.

Please post a video of you shooting sparrows or starlings at 100 yds. "No challenge" should equate to 8/10 hits for you easily. Or maybe stretch it out to 150yds and see if it poses a challenge.

I see a challenge in the air! 

All anyone needs to do is check his post history....it's not sarcasm.

Pigeon man

As far as I know. Fx hasn't release the mk2 upgrade kit. Post your link of your purchase. When you buy from fx. They send you a email with the item you purchase and total price

That was him calling out another member..... basically saying if he didn't have a receipt for purchase of a MKII upgrade kit, well you get the idea.

OP great post. To the bee post I do 1/8" targets at 27 yards off the bench and do rather well. Now that said last weekend at my son's off a bench again shooting 71 yards shot a 18 shot group in a good gusting wind 5-6 shots in a 1/2" hole and the rest spread, with the same hold, enlarged the group to 3" wide and 2" vertically. Now while hunting with a pod or off hand, hmmmm. This is with a .22 Crown that shoots very well.

The accuracy of modern airguns and the skills of some shooters is undeniable. I am all in favour of practicing at 100 + yards and tuning the gun to get the absolute best accuracy you can and I will watch in utter amazement as someone shoots a grain of rice off the top of a pin at 100 yards. however I am at a total loss as to understand why it is necessary to shoot at pigeons, starlings and sparrow at anything like that distances? I have not found any of those species difficult to get within more realistic ranges. I can’t comment on ground squirrels as we don’t have them here but I can’t imagine them to be particularly difficult to stalk either.

i am not against hunting, far from it, I have shot thousands ( if not 10 of thousands) of pigeons and almost as many rabbits but I am getting really bored of watching the same vermin shooting videos at ever longer ranges, I want to see, hunting skills not just lobbing pellet down range then editing the footage to show the kills. I used to find Ted’s, Matt’s and others videos both informative and interesting, not now, they are marketing videos, not hunting and not even effective vermin control.

Bb

Reactions: mmahoney

I see a challenge in the air!

I'd like to see the honey bee getting wacked at 100 yard videos. :)

Man, that is a bold public statement I need to see to believe. Hey PigeonMan are you up for a challenge? Draw ten 3/8" diameter spots on paper, any color, put it up at 300 feet. Show us a witnessed video of you hitting 7 out of 10 spots on the paper. Edge hits of at least 25% into the spot count. You only get one chance to accomplish this feat. Post the video here for all to see. Do it and your next tin of favorite pellets is on me.

seven08

The farm I visited with Keith and Norm (68 Whiskey), you're not getting closer than 140yds to any pigeon useless you just want to watch it fly away. So if you want to shoot them, you have to go long.

That's my experience too. Maybe Bob's and my pigeons are smarter then others. I get a real kick out of hunting them. I swear they know my car. I can't get back further then about 60 yards and I'm not nearly the shot Bob is (YET yea right ) I'm just glad to be alive and well enough to get out there. I like the hunting and I like talking to the farmer. I think he gets lonely he's tied up on that farm and he has to work ALL THE TIME. So anyways. It goes like this. I drive up a get a shot off most of the time within the first fifteen minutes. Typically miss (damnit 😂) the pigeons fly off and stay away for a good half hour. Come back fly over my car drop a load on me and fly off again. Then they come back and either sit on the back of the silo or on the barn roof. They know I won't shoot them on the barn roof because I don't want to shoot thru the aluminum roofing. You think I'm kidding I'm not I can't tell you how many times I've been waiting for one to land on the silo when there are three or four over on the barn. They know. Every once in a while a dumb one will stick his head out and I'll get a shot. Hit or miss a bunch fly off and we do it over again. Starlings (?) they seem to be less likely to "learn" but they don't sit long. They'll light and you better get the shot off. Sparrows real small target at 50 yards but they will sit longer. I typically get over in the morning. The other day I want over at night and surprised them . Got six or seven starlings and 2 or 3 pigeons in about two hours. Next time I went over at night same as the morning. It is interesting watching them. Last time I was over there was one chasing another one around the edge of the silo. I wonder that he wanted. Never did get a shot at those two. A moving pigeons almost as difficult as a flying honey bee for me.

Bucket boy. I understand your view. I wish we had the sideshot when we first started this pest control. We shot over 1500 birds in the first two months. We completely transformed properties Removing that many pigeons and starlings. Nearly every shot was on low power and about 35 yards I have to tell you there was no hunting in that either. It was strictly removing pest birds by shooting accurately at live targets 

All of the birds that survived that first two months will not let anyone near them no matter what. If we tried to stalk to 60 yards we would literally never take a shot We actually tried with bob there. I think 110 was as close as we got. Once.

If you don’t enjoy our videos because they are mostly long range shooting that bums me out but there’s really nothing I can do about it. Its real. Also, we use products we believe in but we don’t advertise for anyone. If we did not think it was the best tool for the job you would not see us use it