• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Minimum pressure for standard shot.

Not sure how to word this question, but here goes.....

I'm trying to get a mental comparison between using a scuba cylinder I own now and purchasing a $$$ carbon fiber 4,500 psi tank regarding shot count. New PCP rifle on the way.

What is the minimum remaining pressure in a PCP rifle cylinder (Huma regulated gun), that would still give a medium standard velocity shot?

Thanks to all.

You can fill your regulated gun to less than maximum pressure-you won't get as many shots per fill. Once the pressure drops below the regulator setting your velocity will drop off gradually or spike up depending on how the gun is tuned. My .02 advice would be if the gun uses a higher than 3000 psi fill, you will be happier with a 4500 psi tank. I myself currently use scuba tanks with great success but my highest fill pressure gun runs at 2600 psi. If you have more than one tank you can fill the gun to the pressure in the emptiest tank(lowest pressure) and top off with the fullest(highest pressure) to get more use out of your air. Once you drop below minimum fill pressure in your gun it's time to refill.

Hope that helps-I personally regret the trend toward higher fill pressure in today's guns, I'd like to see more low fill pressure options.

As to your specific question about minimum pressure in a regulated gun, it will be at whatever psi the regulator is set.

I started out in PCP's with the SCUBA tank I owned to fill my Marauder (3000 PSI, no regulator). I could get several fills out of it before the pressure was too low. How many is several? Hard to say but maybe 3-5 plinking sessions per tank (I have two 80's). Now the Marauder is a cylinder and not a bottle gun so the volume is low so take that into account. It was a great way to get started in PCP's but I shoot way more now that I have a pump and 4500 psi SCBA tank. Now that my Marauder is regulated (currently at about 1600 psi), I would be able to get a LOT more fills out of my SCUBA tanks. Nothing wrong with starting with what you have and adding the other equipment later. Not sure if that answers your question but I hope it helps.

For my Marauder, .22, 18.3 Grain JSB's. 830FPS down to about 1800PSI. Under 1800 PSI, speed starts to drop.

The Field and Target version seems to be regulated at about 1450 PSI, and can shoot the Crosman 14.3 gr premier domes about 800 or better FPS. Under 1450, speed drops off.

Minimum pressure depends on the pellet and speed you want.

The Maximus is a 2000 PSI fill to start with and gets good results down to 1000 or so PSI.

Again, it's all about the weight and desired speed.

I agree with what John and the others have said, depends on the guns working pressure. Anything above the reg setting will work but shot count will suffer with lower pressure fills. I wanted to give you something else to think about...I started out with a scuba tank too and that didn't last long because all of my guns have a max fill of 230BAR or 250BAR. I ended up buying a 88cuft carbon tank but I kept the scuba cylinder and use it in conjunction with my carbon tank(cascading). Even with my 88cuft carbon tank I only get about 11 max pressure fills because 2 of our 3 guns are bottle guns with a large capacity. But when I use the scuba tank to fill at lower pressures and then top off with the carbon 4500psi tank, I almost double my amount of fills. Do whatever suits your needs but if you do buy a carbon cylinder, keep and use the scuba cylinder too. It will save you from going to get fills so often.

Stoti

Thank you to all! Excellent answers, I have a 22 cal Brocock Bantam Sniper HR coming. Plan to use it in local off-hand airgun silhouette matches. Nothing serious; just an enjoyable afternoon. I was hoping to get 40 shots without having to go to the truck to fill the tank. The local scuba shop can fill up to 3,600 psi; there are no fills at higher pressure than this available in my area. If I can shoot a silhouette match with the pressure the scuba tank will give me, I will not spend the $$$ required for a carbon tank or a compressor.

Thank you again for the help.