• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Min on powerwheel delivers most power?

I finally got my Crown back after a leak fix from my retailer. It has a ported TP, ported pellet probe and a hammer weight.

Maxed out the hammerspring adjustment and raised the regulator to 150 bar that gave me 275m/s with 21 grain slugs on a 500mm barrel using 0.30 and Max.

I then lowered the regulator to 130 bar to see hos much I would loose in speed and maybe save some air if the drop wasnt to big. Got something like 245m/s. I then changed the powerwheel to min, and to my surprise I got like 10m/s more?! And the sound was louder too.

Backed out the hammerspring like 6 turns and got the exact same result . Min on the powerwheel is always more powerful and louder regardsless on the regulator setting and hammerspring adjustment.

What could be wrong?

No, I just maxed out the spring, taking the slack out. Backed it one turn when I reached the limit where I couldn't turn the wheel from max. Even if I'm not in the optimal position, shouldn't max on the wheel correspond to more power? 

I backed it out 6 turns as I wrote in the first post, and I still got more power on min.

If this is totally wrong, I'll do as you said and start from the beginning and shoot a shot or two for every turn on the spring screw. 

Hey I think I know what's going on. With the hammer weight when you max the HST your weight is over powering the valve pin travel. You should also notice a very large extreme spread every once in a while with max HST.

You're bottoming out the spring that pushes the valve pin back into the closed position. Leave your reg at 150 bar and turn your HST down to level 2 assuming you still have the adjuster screw on max. And you will get more consistent speeds and higher velocities again. 

With a heavier hammer you severely decrease the needed hammer spring tension. 

Please correct me if I'm incorrect but the same thing happened to me last week. 

That seems logic to me. It is almost like throwing a ball hard against a wall. The harder you trow it, the faster it comes back. I would be careful maxing out the hammer spring on any gun, if I do not know how much force the hammer or spring generates. May risk damaging the gun. Better to do it on small steps over a chronograph, so it does not get overpowered. 

The hammerweight at lower reg pressures does funny things. 

It adds preload by installing it so min isnt what it used to be. Also of course hits the valve with more inertia so it needs less spring to do its job.

With my impact with some mods including hammerweight/plenum etc. Unless im shooting .30 "min" or 1 gives usually the highest speed. Without the valve adjuster of the impact its trickier to find the happy place.

If you want full range of the hammer spring adjuster you can back off the little adjusting screw so it just barely moves when switched from min to 1 or A. Or remove the hammerweight. 

It all seems logic when I see what your saying. I'll back of the hammerspring alot, and start from zero. 

I really like the possibiliy to use everything between Min and Max to tune for different pellets or slugs. So if I can't get that to work, I'll probably take the weight out. There wasn't more then 30fps difference between 130 bar and 150 bar with a 500mm barrel.

I couldn't really get the powerwheel settings to respond as I would like it to with the hammerweight in regardsless of hammerspring tension. So I took the weight out and kept the pressure at 130 bar instead of 150.

Got 265m/s instead of 275m/s with alot less hammerspring tension (like half) and 20 bars less of pressure on the regulator. Now I can go from like 180m/s with pellets up to 300m/s, and 140m/s to 265m/s with slugs. With these wide span of configurations I can zero the scope with slugs and high output, lower the output with pellets and be within millimeters of the slugs zero.