Mil dot vs turret scope?

I have a Gamo urban .22 I am looking to get a new scope for. not looking to spend a whole lot, $150 max. Am I better off getting a mil dot scope or a scope that has turrets for quick clicks at distances or both? Ive mill dot scopes before but thought it would be cool to have a scope with nice turrets where I can click them to my desired distance so I do not have to hold over. I shoot up to 100 yards. Please give me your opinions and experiences. 

ImpactX is right cheap scopes are not much good for dialing and if you do so regularly they likely won't last long either.

I prefer the mildot scopes myself and the ffp scopes if I am shooting 50 yards or better as holdovers can be calculated regardless of magnification.

For less than 50 yards I like the SFP scopes as the reticle does not shrink when dialing down the power like the FFP scopes do.

One of the better scopes in that price range is the Hawke 2x7x32

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/rats-by-night/?referrer=1

Hello Joe W Reha /Cyclops scope videos on youtube has some great videos on scopes in all price points and there ability to track ( well worth watching). With that said I have found that MOA/ MOA scopes are easier to use and teach people on. Every one in the US uses the imperial system and for quick math especially with in a 100yds very easy to do. With Mils, 1 mil=3.6 inch @ 100yds and 1.8 @ 50( to much crazy math for me) where as 1 moa is 1 inch @ 100yds and 1/2 inch @ 50 yds just easier to do the math in my opinion. I know you stated that you wanted to dial but if you decide to use hold over moa is in my opinion much easier to use, and if you run you ammo and muzzle velocity threw a ballistic program you can have a detailed chart of your bullet drops. Well I wish you the best of luck in which ever way you go. Good luck with your new scope Eric

this brings me to my next problem, most of the scopes under $250 are all second focal plane. If I am using a mild scope, those mildots will only be accurate at full power? That is something I don't want.

Actually those dots will only be "true" at one power setting on an SFP optic. That is almost always 10x because that choice makes it easier to calculate your "true" dot value at other magnifications.

KISS principle rules. Get a fixed 12x mil/mil and don't look back.

Hello Joe W Reha /Cyclops scope videos on youtube has some great videos on scopes in all price points and there ability to track ( well worth watching). With that said I have found that MOA/ MOA scopes are easier to use and teach people on. Every one in the US uses the imperial system and for quick math especially with in a 100yds very easy to do. With Mils, 1 mil=3.6 inch @ 100yds and 1.8 @ 50( to much crazy math for me) where as 1 moa is 1 inch @ 100yds and 1/2 inch @ 50 yds just easier to do the math in my opinion. I know you stated that you wanted to dial but if you decide to use hold over moa is in my opinion much easier to use, and if you run you ammo and muzzle velocity threw a ballistic program you can have a detailed chart of your bullet drops. Well I wish you the best of luck in which ever way you go. Good luck with your new scope 

False. I actually use to use the Imperial system frequently but I’ve changed to the Metric for its logic. In my opinion, mils are much more logical when paired with the metric system(base 10) versus MOA with any system. Why? Because a milradian is the ratio of 1/1000 while a minute of angle(MOA) is the ratio of 1/14,400. You don’t have to be a genius to see how intuitively the metric system plays with the milradian relationship. At 100 m one mil is 10 cm. At 10 m one mil is 1 cm. At 37.3 m one mil is .0373 m which is otherwise known as 3.73 cm. At 55 m one mil is 5.5 cm and .1 mil is .55 cm. It’s easy. It’s literally moving the decimal place three places. I’m sorry but that just is SO much easier for me to understand and calculate than anything MOA does., In my opinion . Another advantage of mils is they are a less fine adjustment than MOA. This isn’t much of an advantage at longer ranges but definitely so at 100 yds and closer. For example, let’s say your gun is zeroed at 25 yards and you are just about to pile drive a pigeon and then it flies out to 75 yards. If your projectile drops 12” in that 50 yards…3/4”=MOA @ 75 yds so 16 MOA of adjustment is required) with 1/4 MOA adjustments that is 64 clicks to zero. In a similar example, 25-75 meters with 30.5 cm(12”) of drop…at 75 m one mil=7.5 cm so 4 mil of adjustment is required) with .1 mil adjustments that is 40 clicks to zero. Something to think about.

In my opinion, mil hash or mil dot reticles are much simpler, faster, and more accurate than dialing. Unless you are using a SFP plane scope in which case dialing has its place. As mentioned already, a fixed power or FFP scope with mil dots/hash marks are really where it’s at for KISS and effectiveness in my opinion.

Reactions: SteveKralsAround
First plane scopes are relatively new to the market, while second plane scopes old school. Old sniper scopes were second plane, and there is a formula for quick ranging. 

Measure your target size in mildot at a known range by using the magnification ring to adjust mildot size. For example, a squirrel at 30 yards is 3 mildots at 5x. Your shot holdover can be done the same way by measuring at known distances 

I have an Athlon Talos 4-16x40 on my centerfire varmint rifle. It tracks well dialing turrets which are .1 mil clicks and 5 mil revolution(at least to 5 mils which is as far as I've dialed it). The turrets are capped which is nice for hunting when walking around or in a situation where a turret could be moved by accident. Turrets use a coin for removing and resetting to zero so no need for a hex wrench.

Its SFP so I use 4x for fast shooting up close. Last coyote I shot was at 200Y on 8x. I use 10x when I want the mildot reticle correct for holdovers and holdoffs which I do most often. 16x when I need precision. It focuses close. Glass is decent. It's lightweight and somewhat compact. No complaints for a $159 MAP scope when I bought it.

I just shot the rifle last week and the zero was still perfect since the last time I shot it 3-4 months ago.

I don't think you will get a good with quality turrets for $150.00. There are scope with dial turrents at that price point. But, will it remain accurate with moderate use.

Go with the mildot and hold over/under.

I do have the vector veyron and it is accurate with moveable turrets. But, the clicks don't seem to be as solid after using it for a year. I now hold over/under

this brings me to my next problem, most of the scopes under $250 are all second focal plane. If I am using a mild scope, those mildots will only be accurate at full power? That is something I don't want.

Actually those dots will only be "true" at one power setting on an SFP optic. That is almost always 10x because that choice makes it easier to calculate your "true" dot value at other magnifications.

KISS principle rules. Get a fixed 12x mil/mil and don't look back.

This. If I had to do it all over again for simplicities sake I'd go with an SWFA SS 10x42 fixed power with the mil dot reticle. Just quality and simple and effective...