Tuning Might be time for a kit or a sale

Oldest boy moved back home, could not keep his hands off my stuff. Come home to my immaculate R9 covered in his fingerprints, gouge in the stock, trigger set probably as heavy as it can go. Seems to recoil more as well maybe dry fired or deisled. Yes I keep my guns in a safe and he has been told in no way does he get in the safe! He did something to my 34 a long time ago before I kitted that gun too. I am just sick over it now, Been two weeks I can’t get over it. I just want to sell the darn thing. Did not buy it for a project!

So vent over, recommendations?

1 Timothy 5:8, NASB: "But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

It is a two way street but as long as he is not a danger to the rest of the fam he gets to stay. But a man’s got limits!

He will either figure it out or be out on his own-sometimes that's what it takes to make them grow up.

Hopefully he does so that won't be an issue-no one likes family riffs.

Please show a picture or two of the damage to the stock. If it is pressure related and recent, it may be able to be steamed out at least partially. If the fingerprints have not become rust yet, a good wipedown with a rust preventative of your choice should take care of it. The trigger and internals are nearly indestructible other than consumable parts.

Should be able to get it back to shape. Have him be a part of the fixes so he learns how a day of goofing around can lead to a week of work that could have been prevented.

The problem is I don’t want to fix it. Its not just what he did to the gun. I am so aggravated beyond the point of coming back, I want to sell it and start over. Sell the 34 too even though it’s fine. It is an association issue and I know it’s not Godly but man I just want to be rid of it. I can’t even group with it anymore and I don’t know if it’s me and in my head or if it’s damages. Up to this point my worst group with the worst pellet was maybe 3/4 to 7/8 inch for 5 at 25 yards. Now I can’t stand to even pull it out of the darn safe and just want to be rid of it. Maybe a pro tune would help. I just associate it with his ignorance and it burns me up. I might just need to fix me and not the gun I don’t know.

The problem is I don’t want to fix it. Its not just what he did to the gun. I am so aggravated beyond the point of coming back, I want to sell it and start over. Sell the 34 too even though it’s fine. It is an association issue and I know it’s not Godly but man I just want to be rid of it. I can’t even group with it anymore and I don’t know if it’s me and in my head or if it’s damages. Up to this point my worst group with the worst pellet was maybe 3/4 to 7/8 inch for 5 at 25 yards. Now I can’t stand to even pull it out of the darn safe and just want to be rid of it. Maybe a pro tune would help. I just associate it with his ignorance and it burns me up. I might just need to fix me and not the gun I don’t know.

Then go ahead a sell it, if it's causing you grief. Since your son seems to ignore your wishes and if you buy something else, like klentz said, lock the gun and change the combination to the safe.

I love Proverbs. It is the only part of the Bible I really know.

I can tell you that he’s been kicked out and we only just gave him a second chance. Right now I think he needs a little bit of grace. I figure if Jesus can forgive me then of all things I probably ought not to hold a grudge against him over a pellet gun. It’s shameful on me and him both.

I think I am just gonna give him the durn gun. I don’t want it and I don’t want to fix it. Here ya go, want something nice for yourself here’s my prized possession but I’m keeping the scope and you gotta get your own license if you want to get some squirrels this year, hahaha.

I can get another pellet gun.

edit- he’s 19 turning 20 in a few months

I can tell you that he’s been kicked out and we only just gave him a second chance. Right now I think he needs a little bit of grace. I figure if Jesus can forgive me then of all things I probably ought not to hold a grudge against him over a pellet gun. It’s shameful on me and him both.

I think I am just gonna give him the durn gun. I don’t want it and I don’t want to fix it. Here ya go, want something nice for yourself here’s my prized possession but I’m keeping the scope and you gotta get your own license if you want to get some squirrels this year, hahaha.

Not trying to be rude, but that teaches him what exactly? That maybe the next thing of yours that he desires, to abuse it and maybe he'll get that too? Teach him some boundaries.

IMHO opinion I would make him pay for a pro tuner to repair it and then when you get it back, shoot it, decide then if you want to give it to him... but only after he has shown some respect for your tools.

We're all free to make choices.... but none of us are free from the consequences of those choices.

Venting helps and so does time. Anger rarely fixes anything. He’s old enough to pay for the damages but sometimes life isn’t that simple. He will grow up eventually (hopefully) but some kids take longer than others. I have a daughter that honestly I’m surprised is still alive. She put us through hell but she was even harder on herself. She’s now a 22 year old homeowner and a full time employee and student. She still has work to do but if you knew all the details you would be as proud of her as we are. 

Ok. I think I am over it. Thanks for looking and posting guys.

The gun can group, or I can group, again. A little bit of parallax error from switching to a fixed parallax scope, but not bad enough to miss a 3/4” target at any range I hunt at. Parallax error probably tightens up as the distance increases as well. I still prefer the fixed leupy 4x28 for the pure simplicity.

Can hit the 1” spinner from any position regardless of the way the gun is held. When I say I can hit it, more like I can’t miss it.

Interesting fact, the crosman hollowpoint and FX 10.34 grains hit the same poi about 20 yards. I can live with that too :)

There is still the matter of the gouge, not a very big gouge more of a small but sharp looking dent but it’s on the edge and I can’t tell if the grain is broke there or not. 

I am over it. I can enjoy my gun again, lol. Thanks.

1 Timothy 5:8, NASB: "But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

It is a two way street but as long as he is not a danger to the rest of the fam he gets to stay. But a man’s got limits!

Does that scripture mean your suppose to provide everything for a son who's lived at home and in his 30's ?

Not trying to be rude, but that teaches him what exactly? That maybe the next thing of yours that he desires, to abuse it and maybe he'll get that too? Teach him some boundaries.

IMHO opinion I would make him pay for a pro tuner to repair it and then when you get it back, shoot it, decide then if you want to give it to him... but only after he has shown some respect for your tools.

We're all free to make choices.... but none of us are free from the consequences of those choices.

Well said Jim ! My feelings exactly! I knew my boundaries growing up and wouldn't cross them when it came to my parents stuff. I guess that belt on the rearend on rare occasions worked ! LOL