• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Midas Tac 6-24 Owners Question

The crosshairs (main lines) of the Midas TAC 6-24x50 FFP have a thickness of 0.03mil (0.1moa).

This is the same thickness as the Athlon Helos BTR Gen. 2 6-24x56 FFP.

The Athlon Argos BTR Gen. 2 6-24x50 FFP is even thinner: 0.02mil (0.7moa).

Checking my Scope Specs Table for this magnification range (6-24x | 5-30x) most FFP scopes (where the manufacturer made the effort to publish the line thicknesses) have 0.04mil or 0.05mil, that's 30 to 60% thicker....

In the Scope Specs Table for 4-16x | 3-18x magnification range the typical crosshair thickness of FFP scopes is about evenly distributed between 0.04mil, 0.05mil, and 0.06mil.

I also noted that when a manufacturer offers the same scope with both mil and moa reticles, the crosshair thickness is often not the same between the two scopes. Not sure why.

Matthias

[Edit: added a 0 after the mil decimals, that pesky digit escaped me]

Frostbite, thanks for the question.... Just saw my error — and added a zero after the decimals of the mil numbers in my post. 🙄

So, it's not 0.4mil, but 0.04mil.

And since we're talking about FFP scopes, the subtensions and line thicknesses don't change in relation to the target, no matter what magnification. 👍🏼

In metric: At 100 meters, 0.04mil would subtend 4 milimeters.

Imperial: At 100 yards, 0.04mil would subtend 0.14" (1/7").

Matthias

The crosshairs (main lines) of the Midas TAC 6-24x50 FFP have a thickness of 0.03mil (0.1moa).

This is the same thickness as the Athlon Helos BTR Gen. 2 6-24x56 FFP.

The Athlon Argos BTR Gen. 2 6-24x50 FFP is even thinner: 0.02mil (0.7moa).

Checking my Scope Specs Table for this magnification range (6-24x | 5-30x) most FFP scopes (where the manufacturer made the effort to publish the line thicknesses) have 0.04mil or 0.05mil, that's 30 to 60% thicker....

In the Scope Specs Table for 4-16x | 3-18x magnification range the typical crosshair thickness of FFP scopes is about evenly distributed between 0.04mil, 0.05mil, and 0.06mil.

I also noted that when a manufacturer offers the same scope with both mil and moa reticles, the crosshair thickness is often not the same between the two scopes. Not sure why.

Matthias

[Edit: added a 0 after the mil decimals, that pesky digit escaped me]
Hmm. Interesting. I didn’t know this sort of data existed. Would you happen to know what the Element Helix 4-14x44 has for reticle thickness? Thank you.

Hmm. Interesting. I didn’t know this sort of data existed. Would you happen to know what the Element Helix 4-14x44 has for reticle thickness? Thank you.
Shouldn't really hijack another thread but most decent scope companies will list their reticle subtensions. Go to their website and look under reticles for the particular model you're interested in. For the Element Helix 4-16×44, I went to their site and they have it listed but it's not really well presented like other known scope companies. I also downloaded the user manual for this model and still can't find the mil size listed for the center floating dot which is important. This is basic information that should be there. I'm only assuming it's 0.036 for the center dot but it's not well explained.

SmartSelect_20220914-154333_Samsung Notes.jpg

SmartSelect_20220914-154408_Samsung Notes.jpg

This is the reticle subtensions for the Athlon Midas Tac HD 6-24×50 FFP with APRS3 reticle. It's easily found on their website and so easy to understand.

SmartSelect_20220914-154809_Samsung Notes.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings. Thank you again for the helpful information, and for the legwork. I appreciate it. I have the Helix data you show but have not seen the reticle thickness details. I just peered at the data again, and, correct me if am missing something, but Element’s discussion of reticle thickness is absent. Once more, I didn’t know companies made this type of information available and honestly didn’t even know much about reticle thickness as a category. To my eye, the Helix 4-14x44 has a thicker reticle than the Midas TAC, at least from looking at different depictions. I do not know if I am comparing apples with apples.
And I don’t think you are hijacking the thread—the data you provide seems relevant to the thread’s intention. But that’s my opinion, not the thread’s originator’s. I’ll check out Athlon’s website too. Take care.

Greetings. Thank you again for the helpful information, and for the legwork. I appreciate it. I have the Helix data you show but have not seen the reticle thickness details. I just peered at the data again, and, correct me if am missing something, but Element’s discussion of reticle thickness is absent. Once more, I didn’t know companies made this type of information available and honestly didn’t even know much about reticle thickness as a category. To my eye, the Helix 4-14x44 has a thicker reticle than the Midas TAC, at least from looking at different depictions. I do not know if I am comparing apples with apples.
And I don’t think you are hijacking the thread—the data you provide seems relevant to the thread’s intention. But that’s my opinion, not the thread’s originator’s. I’ll check out Athlon’s website too. Take care.
No problem at all. Element does list the main line thickness as 0.045 which is thicker than the Athlon Midas Tac at 0.03 mil.
Screenshot_20220915-084228_Chrome.jpg

A good way to know what line thickness or floating center dot thickness works for your eyes is having a known FFP optic you've personally looked through or several and knowing the reticle subtensions for those models. You can base it of that knowing whether it will work out for your eyes. For FFP, go through the whole magnification range to get an idea of the line thickness or through the magnification range you would mostly be shooting at.

Another thing to consider is that even 2 different reticles with the same line thickness can appear different (one thicker, one thinner) when physically looking through them depending on the mil spacing. To me, a 0.2 mil spacing looks thicker than a 0.5 mil spacing at lower magnifications. The 0.2 mil spacing looks more cluttered at low magnifications but can actually be an advantage if you do shoot a lot on the lower end of the magnification range.

0.5 mil spacing
Screenshot_20220915-090342_Chrome.jpg

0.2 mil spacing
Screenshot_20220915-090550_Chrome.jpg

Thanks again for the legwork and information. I will check out my Helix manual because I do not see the reticle information on Element's PDF files. I hope I did not miss it again. Sheesh. So, my eye was right and the Helix reticle is thicker than the Midas TAC's. Otherwise, I do like the TAC's reticle, even the "dirty" one. I like a clean reticle, but the TAC's dirty reticle is not too crowded. I could live with it.
You have been lots of help.
Take care. S7

Once more, thank you for all this information, including the marked pictures. I hate to be lagging behind here, but I am not sure I am correlating what you said about reticle thickness vis-a-vis magnification with the markings in the pictures. Is 29x intentional in the second picture? Again, I don’t want to be tedious to you. Also, is this the Midas TAC reticle? If it is, it is my favorite dirty reticle to date.