Mid-long range tripod mount bird blaster

I have been toying with the idea of selling my Air Arms S510 and getting something for longer range bird shooting. When I say longer range, I am talking about 70-80 yards and in, nothing really far away. It seems to me like something that I can mount on a tripod would probably be ideal so I can move to different spots easily to take shots.

The FX Panthera really looks interesting to me, and I am tempted to get something in a forward action rather than a bullpup. Either a .25 Compact with an ARCA rail, or a 500mm Panthera in .22 or .25 should get the job done.

Is there anything I should know about shooting off a tripod that might not be obvious to me? Are there advantages or disadvantages to a bullpup or forward action when shooting off a tripod? A Maverick, Uragan, or Veteran Standard all seem like they would be up to the job as well, but I am very tempted by the Panthera, and its traditional action. The compact seems like it would be a fun squirrel gun as well.

Any advice to somone considering a tripod mounted gun?

Thank you,
-pg

I have used a picatinny to ARCA rail adapter before, and it worked okay. The only thing I wish I had was a pistol grip head so I could quickly adjust the setup, as doing that with a ball head was cumbersome.

I also saw someone with a magnetic mount that looked interesting. It had a semi circle steel piece mounted to the rifle pic rail, while the head had a magnetic base. This let you move your tilt angle while still keeping the rifle anchored for sufficient stability.

I use a very simple setup with my Maverick, just a BOG deathgrip tripod. It works extremely well for me, very sturdy and easy to adjust the tension to pan/tilt but not be too loose. It was one of the best airgun accessories I've purchased.

20221016_181150.jpg

I use a very simple setup with my Maverick, just a BOG deathgrip tripod. It works extremely well for me, very sturdy and easy to adjust the tension to pan/tilt but not be too loose. It was one of the best airgun accessories I've purchased.
Thank you! I have heard a few mentions of BOG. Is that a 600mm Maverick? How does it feel on the bipod, nicely balanced, easy to use?
I have used a picatinny to ARCA rail adapter before, and it worked okay. The only thing I wish I had was a pistol grip head so I could quickly adjust the setup, as doing that with a ball head was cumbersome.
Are you thinking something like a trigger stick, but with the "Y" replaced with an attachment method?

Thank you! I have heard a few mentions of BOG. Is that a 600mm Maverick? How does it feel on the bipod, nicely balanced, easy to use?

Are you thinking something like a trigger stick, but with the "Y" replaced with an attachment method?
Yes, it's a 600mm barrel. It feels amazing on the bipod and or tripod, very balanced and extremely easy to manipulate. The bipod is a genuine Atlas, which is what I use if I'm not clamped into the BOG tripod.

I was thinking something like this:

Screenshot_20230731_183246_Chrome.jpg

But this is best suited for someone that already has a good tripod that they want to do double duty for pest control.

I also have a BOG Field Max Pro, but if I had to buy it all over again, I'd get the BOG Death Grip, as my airgun just kinda lays there, without being really locked in securely.

20230731_201942.jpg

7E8E1486-CB41-4D97-BF4A-AFD069211C79.jpeg

I decided to start with an aluminum BOG Deathgrip. It seems like something with a ball head and a “neck” that can be raised, an adjustable middle tube, would be ideal, but I’ll start with this to be sure a tripod setup suits me.

I also just got a used Taipan Long in .25 with a power plenum. Just the kind of mobile air-artillery the tripod will be good for.

Reactions: AmosBurton
Many of you have bipods on your guns while on the tripod. Is this for convenience of not needing to remount the bipod, or does the weight up front help with balance?

Thanks,
-pg
For me it's just being lazy and not taking it on and off. I'm always going back and forth from tripod to bipod, so I just leave it on all the time.