Metal backstop--what do I need?

I'm thinking about making a permanent metal backstop, but don't know what I need. I shoot .22 pellets at a max of 950 fps at a range of 25 yd or farther. The metal for the backstop would need to be 20"x24" or larger. I would build a wooden frame around it. 

So...what grade and thickness of steel would I need to buy, where would I go to buy it, about how much would it weigh, and about how much $$$ am I talking about? Thanks in advance for your help.

I've been using log slices lately.

They work great!

1053-5_orig.jpg

Reactions: Skydivingmiami
3/16 or 1/4 inch A36 plate steel will be acceptable to stop the pellet. You do not need AR500 steel to stop pellets. 

3/16 steel is 7.66lb per sq ft. 1/4 inch is 10.21lb per sq ft. For a 2ftx2ft piece you can expect 30.64 lbs and 40.84 lbs respectively. 

You can search for steel availability online, but you are probably better off trying to find a local fabricator, laser cutter, machine shop, etc that may be able to source you a piece the size you want. Per metals depot (an online supplier) a 2ft x 2ft piece of 3/16 A36 plate steel is $81.60 (that might not include shipping). 

Do you have a steel scrap yard in your area? I have a ton of fun poking around our local scrap yard. Was just there yesterday in fact. I bought some 3/16” remnant steel to make some squirrel targets. If you are only shooting air rifle pellets and looking for a safe backstop then 3/16” steel will be great. The scrapyard steel usually has some rust so I clean it off and give it a coat of paint once in a while to keep it from rusting again. Like qball said the ar500 plates or even ar400 plates will work too especially if you will ever be shooting firearms but they usually cost quite a bit more. The steel I bought yesterday was 3/16” thick 11” wide and 10 feet long. It was about $25.

Kenny

Thanks for your help! I just ordered a sheet of 3/16"x24"x24" from eBay. Best deal I could find. If this works out I'll order a second piece.

I could have probably done better locally, but the "big guys" don't seem interested in selling to individuals and the scraps yards in the Memphis area are all in the "hood." I decided I'd rather pay a little more than end up in a gunfight.