• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Mental game practice

As everyone knows, counting during a competition is bad. You are supposed to focus on THIS shot, not the last 10 shots or the next 10 shots. It's hard to stay in the zone if you are counting shots.

However, we have all had that squad mate who will say things like "Wow, you cleared the last 3 lanes" (no one has said that to me for a while) or "If you hit this next one, you will be 1 up on Paul". They usually aren't trying to get in your head, but lack of malice doesn't help you get out of your own way in these situations.

Here's a funny thing about me: I like shooting under pressure. I like shoot offs. I like being neck in neck with my arch-nemesis. I like side bets and smack talk.

Something I have always done in any competitive endeavor is to find a way to apply pressure during practice. When you practice with pressure, you know how to shoot under pressure when it matters.

The way that I apply pressure during FT practice is pretty easy. Just throw down a mildly difficult target, say a 1" kill zone at 25 yards, and hit it 10 times. If you miss, start over. Don't leave until you have 10 in a row. Told you it was easy. The first time you get to shot 7 or 8, you will start to feel the pressure. That's good, it's working. Focus on your breathing and keep making good shots. If it's too easy, move it back to 40 yards. If it's too hard, move it up to 15 yards.

A side benefit of this is that the next time you see a 25 yard target with a 1 inch KZ, it will feel like a chip shot.

If you are just starting out, maybe go for 5 shots instead of 10. Just pick a number that is hard but achievable.

At the next shoot, keep track of the targets you are struggling with and use those targets in your practice sessions. Maybe it's a 12 yarder with a 1/2" KZ, or maybe the good old 53 yarder. Or maybe the elevated targets. I wouldn't recommend going 10 in a row on standing or kneeling shots, fatigue can lead to bad habits.

I like that idea.

When I was shooting field target archery I used to train by starting at the last distance I had hit the bull and then take a shot and if it was a hit take one step backward and if it was a miss take two steps forwards... Rinse and repeat... At the end of your practice session for that day drive a stake. When you're shooting from that stake every shot is a pressure shot.

Easy, killer.

I just meant this isn’t a practice exercise to begin when you’re near the end of your tin, air supply, or available time. Because it could take a lot more than ten shots.
Don't chief me, chief :D:D:D
You've revealed my plot to get everyone shooting springers. I need a bigger pack to be in the middle of, wallowing in my mediocrity.

Although you could make the argument that since PCPs are so easy, you would only need 10 shots for this exercise. So you dark side guys may need to tether an air tank and go for 30 in a row to get that heart rate up. But that's a slippery slope, you might wake up one morning and think that bench rest sounds like a fun thing to do.

Being able to get into "Your Zone" focused ONLY on the moment is also in the realm of a SKILL SET some have learned or can perform better than others.
If you really have "GOT IT" as many who also Match Direct being constantly distracted or focus broken, they can go in & out of there Zone with relitive ease ... generally :cautious:

“I never hit a shot, not even in practice, without having a very sharp, in-focus picture of it in my head.”

Jack Nicklaus

I think I also remember him saying during a tv interview that “every practice shot is a shot to win the Masters”.

I follow that example, well, in field target, not necessarily golf. Hahaha
Is that before or after he was in The Shining?

Just kidding. I'm a recovering golfer, time to go to a meeting.

Something practice hasn't helped with...
I've got this weird nervousness that begins at the start of a match. Sometimes worse and sometimes not too bad, but its always there. It also seems to compound if I am doing well near the end of the match which makes it darn hard to get a winning score.
I know its just a pellet gun match and 99% of the time there is no money to win but those nerves still get to me somehow.

The worst part is trying to shoot offhand in a match because my wobble zone doubles compared when practicing at home.
Ha, last year I practiced offhand 3 times a week for a match and I got pretty good. I could hit a 2" spinner at 25Y 8-9 times out of 10. I guess I put too much pressure on myself to get all the offhands at the next match but I was so shaky I only hit one of the four, LOL??!! I was so disgusted with myself. So I don't practice offhand as much anymore. Why bother if I can't overcome the shakes.
I try to calm myself down but it never does any good.

Last edited:
@steve123 I think that sort of nervousness is normal in competition. When I participated in combat sports in my younger years I was told to learn to harness that energy. Some guys you’re competing against feel similarly. Sometimes it’s really just irrational fear. It may be helpful to figure ways to calm yourself and redirect that energy. If doing nothing doesn’t stop it, start trying suggested methods until you find something that works. Once you do, expect to see significant results. Music and visualization used to help me in one discipline. In another, something as simple as going to the restroom beforehand helped. Dunno how this translates into shooting sports, but I’m hoping you can find something to help you refocus. Maybe visualize yourself shooting one of your best courses in practice. Remember what you did that day and do it again before you compete.

@scotton I really like this thread. Great post!!

Last edited:
Reactions: steve123
Geeeze, Based on Scott's match day conversations, I didn't realize that he even had a mental game!

Good advice Scott!

If I might add to it please.....
Practice whenever possible. (Do as I say, not as I do. Ha!)
Challenge yourself.
Whatever one can do to stay sharp or learn between matches will help you on match day.

Consider practicing ALL shooting box activities.
Put a timer on yourself.

When I first started shooting, I was immediately exposed to a Republic of Texas as well as a National Championship. Timers were used.
So I practiced on a timer.
I perfected everything from placing my bag and equipment, placing the strings to my left (because resetting the targets can be very time consuming.), unpacking, and setting up my pellets and range card, getting into position, ranging, and shooting 4 shots.
Then I would pack it all up, stand up, walk around and start all over with a fresh clock.

There is a lot of detail in FT.
Having a clearly defined and executed routine can help you stay focused on match day, even when timers are NOT used.

I've shot with enough guys who look like they wander mentally.
They shoot inconsistently and spend a great deal of time in the shooting box trying to figure out what they need to do.
They lose track of themselves and can be in and around the shooters box unusually long time.

When you shoot slowly, you stack up the competitors behind you, and THAT only adds to the pressure that you are trying to reduce.

Paul in N.TX
'Pablo'