Meet my two dogs

Nice dogs. What would we do without them.

Here is mine. Blanco and his buddy Happy Jack.
20220728_182839~2.jpg

I just moved into my new cabin with 10 acres. Picked up these half Pitt and half great Pyrenees. The white one with black spots is Gunner. The black one with white paws is Sampson. They are only 8 weeks old but they can sit shake and come. Not as reliably as I would like but we will keep training. Dogs and airguns go hand in hand in my estimation. I am hoping they can be a good protector for my little girl and they can keep the mountain lions and bears away when she's out of my sight. Which is never right now but she will be a little lady soon and getting ready to leave the nest. There's no better piece of mind for me than having two huge dogs and responsible ccw training when she's old enough. This pic is the day we got them. Not even 6 weeks old here.
IMG_20220715_073203618_HDR.jpg

I had dogs first 35 years of my life and they added so much joy. When I moved to the suburbs (from the country), I couldn't wrap my head around having a dog couped up and then took a 20 year hiatus. 18 months back though, a starved dog showed up at my in laws farm and I immediately bonded with her. I'm so glad she found me. Meet Kali. She loves to dig holes and chase squirrel, and is my companion when out on the tree farm, or watching TV at night. She also runs with me about 3 days a week.
IMG_20220206_091004.jpg

Dogs are one of our Maker's GREATEST gifts! People are OK but dogs are the BEST!!! Wish I was REALLY the kind of man my dogs treated me as. Unconditional love. Queensland Heelers are really smart dogs (if you can live through their maniacal 1st year & a half 🤣 ).

Last edited:
CTairgunner, I totally agree with you about dogs! We had 2 female chihuahuas that I'm sure were angels....they both have since passed away about 5 years ago and to this day I cannot look at photos or videos of them as I would break down and cry like a baby! I've said there are only 2 creatures that are good on this earth, dogs and dolfins......I witnessed a pod of dolfins form a circle around my friend who couldn't swim who fell out of a small boat we were fishing on...when he got back in they left then we saw a couple of sharks circling where the dolfins were.....

Those cattle dogs are some of the smartest and most trainable dogs there are. Bred with dingoes to increase their stamina and tolerance for brutal Australian summers. They’re NOT for first time dog owners and I know why......

It's crazy, people always say wow I want my dogs to do that. Then when I tell them I wake up at 3/330 am to bond and train with them, or the thousands of hours I needed to spend with them, together and individually.

There's a reason I can look at peri , say climb that tree and she knows.

Rugged is an understatement with these dogs. The loyalty is unreal, they have chased off black bear on the property that have gotten too close to poppa (me).

It's crazy, people always say wow I want my dogs to do that. Then when I tell them I wake up at 3/330 am to bond and train with them, or the thousands of hours I needed to spend with them, together and individually.

There's a reason I can look at peri , say climb that tree and she knows.

Rugged is an understatement with these dogs. The loyalty is unreal, they have chased off black bear on the property that have gotten too close to poppa (me).
My daughter has two cattle dogs as well. A male and female puppy. They too have spent countless hours training. When you take the time there is absolutely nothing those dogs can’t be trained to do. It was funny when they first got the male puppy. She called me up literally crying claiming the puppy was vicious and biting! That’s when I did my studying of the breed and learned their nature. Now that dog is like yours, a remote controlled animal......

I have a 7 month old golden retriever. Trying to train him now. Any tips?

Timing and reward. Never negative enforcement.

Let the dog teach itself by you rewarding it at the right time. K9s live to please , the best way to teach is to let them reap the reward of finding out the right behavior on their own.

It makes them feel "accomplished"

They will then continue to exhibit this behavior because you (the bringer of all things good to them) will be happy with them.

Reactions: beerthief