• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Medium sized game vs small caliber pcp recommendations?

hey guys I’m new to pcps and I recently asked for recommendations regarding a good starter pcp in the around $700 range. However, I live in the city and I don’t think I can really shoot in my yard (the longest distance is 10 yards). So, I’d probably have to go to a range to shoot. Any recommendations for a medium caliber (like .30 cal) or medium game hunting pcps? I’ve seen some really nice ones out there but I want a pressure gauge, more than a few shots per fill, and a more traditional look. Sorry for being so picky guys! ;)

hey guys I’m new to pcps and I recently asked for recommendations regarding a good starter pcp in the around $700 range. However, I live in the city and I don’t think I can really shoot in my yard (the longest distance is 10 yards). So, I’d probably have to go to a range to shoot. Any recommendations for a medium caliber (like .30 cal) or medium game hunting pcps? I’ve seen some really nice ones out there but I want a pressure gauge, more than a few shots per fill, and a more traditional look. Sorry for being so picky guys! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~

First of all, for me, .30 caliber is no medium caliber. I classify 30 and above as large bore in air guns.

Also, I think you may have to be willing to part with more of your hard-earned cash in order to get what you're asking for.

What do you think?

It’s not exactly a traditional gun, but the .25 Kalibrgun Cricket in .25 with the Power Tune will sling the 34 grain pellets at over 900 fps for just over 60 fpe. It’s very accurate and has a very respectable shot count. 

A more traditional gun may be the FX Streamline. Some tuners are able to get them shooting at around 900 fps as well. Matter of fact I think I saw one for sale recently in the Classifieds here. 

But neither will be $700. Maybe a Hatsan, I have seen some shooting really good and hard. Check out Southern Airgunner in YouTube. 

It’s not exactly a traditional gun, but the .25 Kalibrgun Cricket in .25 with the Power Tune will sling the 34 grain pellets at over 900 fps for just over 60 fpe. It’s very accurate and has a very respectable shot count. 

A more traditional gun may be the FX Streamline. Some tuners are able to get them shooting at around 900 fps as well. Matter of fact I think I saw one for sale recently in the Classifieds here. 

But neither will be $700. Maybe a Hatsan, I have seen some shooting really good and hard. Check out Southern Airgunner in YouTube.

I was thinking of the epox badger since it seems to be a good quality big bore, but I’ve got no idea how long it takes to fill up. Should I just abandon the idea of getting a pump and invest in a tank instead?

If you are new to PCPs, like most of us, will gravitate towards a hand pump. I figured I could pump to my hearts content and go in cheap. Inevitably most of us end up with a tank or a compressor or both. My advice is to do more research and read past threads of those asking the same questions you are asking now. Also, probably figure on saving up a bit more and buying something of better quality. Buy once, cry once is a staple statement here. 

I’m not familiar with the gun you ask about, perhaps someone else can chime in on that. 

Could you be a bit more specific about exactly what you will be doing with your air rifle? Traditionally, medium game refers to non-dangerous game animals, such as white tail deer. An air rifle for that purpose doesn't seem to me to be consistent with some of your stated criteria. An air rifle for deer size game is going to be a big bore rifle, and it's not going to offer a lot of shots per fill. It is short of a muzzle loader in power, so keep your expectations realistic. 

I’m thinking of one of the Seneca’s right now, but what I meant with multiple shots per fill was over 5 or 6, which the Seneca’s seem to fulfill at a nice price too. The quality and energy they deliver seems nice also.

oh, as a side note I’m probably going to be using this mostly at a range, so I understand that after a couple shots a big bore might not be shooting optimally, but I’m mostly going to be shooting targets at a reasonably close distance so it’s alright :D

JohnShaww,

You left out the one critical bit of information. What State do you live in. Some states have specific rules for a minimum caliber required to hunt "Medium Game".

I tend to think of Medium Game being mid-size fur bearers such as Raccoon, Bobcat, Coyote, etc. Small game is akin to Rabbits, Squirrels and Birds. Large game like Hogs/Javelina, Deer, BigHorn Sheep, etc.

In my state, Fur Bearers require a minimum of .25 caliber PCP. But, if your airgun is .30 caliber or larger, it requires notification of any occupied dwelling within a quarter mile if you are hunting.

The short of things, read your state hunting rules; then make a decision on what caliber you desire.