• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Medium or high mount on an HW30s, please advise..

I’ve purchased a HW30s and a Hawke 2-7x32 Vantage AO, can someone pls confirm if I’ll need a medium or a high mount? And if a 2 piece mount will work?
don't know if it is still available but I had a one piece mount for my rws 48 and it was so adjustable that you actually got the scope zero in and then lock it tight and fine tune with the turret..
I'm assuming that you have a springer..
Mark

Reactions: Stormin-Normin
don't know if it is still available but I had a one piece mount for my rws 48 and it was so adjustable that you actually got the scope zero in and then lock it tight and fine tune with the turret..
I'm assuming that you have a springer..
Mark
Thanks Mark, the HW30s is a springer With open sights. Hooded front sight.

Reactions: markhooper
With the 2-7x32, low mounts should work just fine:
R7 .177 with low mounts and the bit bigger 3-9x40 Airmax:
Beeman R7 .177 Bench 1.jpg

Thank you so much Steve, I was so hoping to hear from someone that had an R7 or a HW30 owner! And the photo is a bonus! Could you tell me what mounts are in the picture? Beautiful set-up I might add!
Rings are Low Hawke Match mounts. Brand choice is totally up to you if you have a favorite, most shooters do. Never had any problems with Hawke myself so a brand I've always used although I also like BKL.
For what it's worth, I had no problems with seeing any kind of ghost image from the front open sight in the bottom of the scope. The muzzle break is an Apex I got from ARH when they still had some. For me anyway, using it and taking the open sights off just gave the R7 .177 a sleeker look.
Also got it's brother in an older R7 .20 that has the same Hawke 3-9x40 Airmax but I used a set of reversed Hawke 1 inch offset High Match Mounts.
R7-6.jpg

Thanks for the additional comments Steve, very helpful. I’ve never owned a precision pellet gun so learning as I go. I’ve been a powder burner for over 50 yrs though. This concept of spring guns and 2 way recoil is new to me, but research suggests a Hawke scope is the way to go and I’ll definitely consider the Hawke mounts. I get the gun and scope delivered next week, but I’ve watched every R7 and HW30s video I could find on YouTube 😂. Can hardly wait. What ranges do you shoot for targets Steve?

I'VE always been advised to go for the best fit for one's comfort & physiology! If true, THAT makes it subjective to each individual & a matter of personal comfort. Like asking everyone "what size shoes should I wear"?
thanks for your comment Gerry, definitely not going to knock your advice. I’m going with the premise of keeping the scope as close to the barrel as possible without the bell touching. Ive always done this with my powder burners and it’s worked fine.

Thanks for the additional comments Steve, very helpful. I’ve never owned a precision pellet gun so learning as I go. I’ve been a powder burner for over 50 yrs though. This concept of spring guns and 2 way recoil is new to me, but research suggests a Hawke scope is the way to go and I’ll definitely consider the Hawke mounts. I get the gun and scope delivered next week, but I’ve watched every R7 and HW30s video I could find on YouTube 😂. Can hardly wait. What ranges do you shoot for targets Steve?
Only 20-30 yards, but I had to move last August, so come spring, I'll be checking out a couple of the area shooting ranges and I have a nephew that just bought a new home parked on 4 acres I'm more than welcome to come shoot on.