• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Mediocre guns...we have all bought 1 or 2

When you wind up with a gun that isn't everything you want it to be, what next?

• Keep it buried in the back of the closet and live with disappointment

• Continuously try try new fixes or mods to make it better

• Take the hit, and sell it to someone else at a loss

• Give it away figuring suboptimal performance will be less of an issue when it's free

Results are only viewable after voting.
if it disappoints it’s usually something very fundamentally wrong for my purposes or expectations. Tweaking or ‘fixing’ Isn’t going to do it, can’t make something it’s not. It gets sold, I learn from the experience and move on.
I hear you....I just found a way to rebarrel an underlever with a pressed in barrel from the factory. Turned out really well, and got rid of a major problem. Next time I would sell the rifle instead of doing it again. It was a fun project to do once though, and a good learning experience.

WISH it were only 1 or 2. More like 5 or 6 for me. Marauder gen2 in .22 (barrel lottery, I lost), Hatsan BT65,.22 & .25, Hatsan AT44, .22, Benjamin Discovery,.22. Once I got my first FX gun I soon got another & sold all the other ones. Don't get me wrong, mediocre or worse they had their purpose. They were the guns that taught me how to work on airguns & more importantly, taught me how to shoot correctly. Taught me the joy of Ground Squirrel schwacking too! When I finally got my better guns shooting almost felt effortless. I'm glad I didn't know how mediocre they were at the time. I'm a better shooter for having learned to get the most I could from them (and myself too). Have to admit, I enjoyed the hell out of them until I knew better.

I'm kinda a big fan of giving things away to people I know if they turn out not to be what I want. Dealing with people on selling something is more anxiety than I want to deal with. Holding on to it is also an option, but then it'll end up just getting tossed 10 years later.

After so much time, I try to not buy large things on impulse anymore, so I have less regrets. Its kinda hard not just buying the best though, as then the hobby has no place to go. Its all just a compromise.

I don't have to worry about it anymore, only stick with the top tier German and UK models, if not happy, tune and smile. Cheaper in the long run, cause you'll usually get your money back if you decide to part with one. Problem is, it's hard to part with them when the perform the way these guns do!
So even buying top tier there is still the opportunity to not be happy, and time/$$ spent fixing what you don't like...got it

Reactions: Wildcatter
So even buying top tier there is still the opportunity to not be happy, and time/$$ spent fixing what you don't like...got it
No there is not, your assured to be happy or full refund. If something is wrong, and you want to keep it, it is covered for free! After you have had it long enough to be sure your happy, then you can tune it to your desire,,,,,, GOT IT?

Reactions: beerthief
No there is not, your assured to be happy or full refund. If something is wrong, and you want to keep it, it is covered for free! After you have had it long enough to be sure your happy, then you can tune it to your desire,,,,,, GOT IT?
This is from a post not that long ago....
1000002487.jpg

I have not been beaten by a supposed "bad airgun" yet. I have gotten them all shooting well with a lot of time, money, or both. Were they worth it? Only to me, and what I learned in the process, a fair trade. I got my butt kicked by an old Mosin Nagant though.
Sometimes there is a line that gets crossed while I am not paying attention when you look up from the work bench and realize...I have too much $$/time in this to give up now. I do enjoy the process of figuring it all out though.

Reactions: PumaCarl
I don't think I've ever been disappointed with a gun purchase. Before I had a license to own firearms (I'm in Canada) I bought too many Crosman 1322's, just experimenting on them. They did not disappoint, but I've got more than I really need. Every once and a while I give one away.
The 13xx is great platform. I have never bought 1 with room for disappointment. Largely due to the idea that the instant they arrive the intention is to build it into something. I have shot a few rounds over a chrono to get a base line before tearing it apart and changing things. That is kind of the end of my experience with the stock gun though.

Reactions: coastal drifter
Anything is possible buying others leftovers. Never had anything but grins buying new or used from reputable owners with the guns I consider worthy of owning. In fact I only consider springers worthy of owning from the manufacturers I mentioned.

Maybe this is why I been so happy? I've also found many that complained they can't be taken care of, are related to conditions they try and make others belive they didn't cause! Crossbow forums are full of those, self inflicted wowed, but refuse to take responsibility for their own lack of understanding exactly what caused it. This younger generation is full of them! It gives the responsible users in their generation a black eye so to speak.

Reactions: SteveV
Anything is possible buying others leftovers. Never had anything but grins buying new or used from reputable owners with the guns I consider worthy of owning. In fact I only consider springers worthy of owning from the manufacturers I mentioned.

Maybe this is why I been so happy? I've also found many that complained they can't be taken care of, are related to conditions they try and make others belive they didn't cause! Crossbow forums are full of those, self inflicted wowed, but refuse to take responsibility for their own lack of understanding exactly what caused it. This younger generation is full of them! It gives the responsible users in their generation a black eye so to speak.
You are clearly trying to have a different conversation than the rest of this thread.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildcatter