• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Resources MDT

Got two new targets today - i have targets desiged around things i hate - like cockroaches and ticks or deerflies.
IMG_6582.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm trying to find these targets to look at.
MDT stands for Mikes Dandy Targets - out of the Phoenix AZ area - he is STURKIS here on AGN. And these targets are the result of his continual quest to build the "best" field target possible. 3 weeks back one of his targets (the fly in pic) got run over by my cement crews trailer. After i hammered the bottom bracket back straight it was good as new!
Pauls custom metal target aka Paul Porch and @BC also make great targets! Share the Love!!!

BF510FAD-62AF-4E5B-8F1C-96C6B91F1FDC_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice reset targets. Nice choice in target shapes. Ticks suck. I hate 'em. I spray this stuff on my legs and boots. No ticks since I started using it. Looking forward to a hard freeze soon.

Nice reset targets. Nice choice in target shapes. Ticks suck. I hate 'em. I spray this stuff on my legs and boots. No ticks since I started using it. Looking forward to a hard freeze soon.

good stuff - don't let it get to your eyes or an open sore/wound...

I may be wrong ? But those look like the S&S targets .
You would be correct. They’ve changed the name but same Mike Smith building them. The best FT targets I’ve shot. Able to adjust for 12 FP up to 125 FP. They can cover all disciplines and power levels of Field Target.

Last edited:
You would be correct. They’ve changed the name but same Mike Smith building them. The best FT targets I’ve shot. Able to adjust for 12 FP up to 125 FP. They can cover all disciplines and power levels of Field Target.
...and they are the most expensive field targets ever.

I think the S&S (Smith and Spencer) targets are the bigger targets. The MDT are these smaller ones, sized like a typical AAFTA target. As far as I know, same mechanism and tight tolerances and actually square welds that prevent binding.

The best FT targets I’ve shot. Able to adjust for 12 FP up to 125 FP. They can cover all disciplines and power levels of Field Target.

X2, THE BEST. Hit the kill zone and they go down. Reliably.

Last edited:
Reactions: cavedweller
@cavedweller: so glad you like em! If you have any mounting, adjustment or tuning questions, please pm me. We will have a maintenance/tuning video out soon.
I'm trying to find these targets to look at.
S&S Targets are available on TexasFieldtarget.com’s store page.

...and they are the most expensive field targets
Yes, our targets cost more, but with quality comes cost. Cold lines, failing targets and repairs are more expensive in the long run. Dare to compare!
I think the S&S (Smith and Spencer) targets are the bigger targets. The MDT are these smaller ones, sized like a typical AAFTA target. As far as I know, same mechanism and tight tolerances and actually square/non-binding welds.

X2, THE BEST. Hit the kill zone and they go down. Reliably.
S&S are both sizes now and one of the S’s has changed but the public facing name stays the same. Our large targets are for all types of FT up to 22LR and our smaller targets are designed for AAFTA style FT ( sub 20fpe) Same mechanisms and tolerances, same hand bent springs, etc, just made specifically for sub 20 fpe. And with the optional silhouette paddles they are truly the most versatile.
@zx10wall - coming from a shooter of your caliber ( pun intended), thats one heck of a compliment and testament to our targets. Only thing better than FT with an S&S Target is shooting our targets with a Tenacious Airguns tuned airgun!

Reactions: MysticalDragon
...and they are the most expensive field targets
Are they? I’ve never purchased one. Well, actually, I did throw in for a target with 3 or 4 different teammates that we donated to the TexTreme FT venue. I definitely know that they work well. I suppose, just like most anything else, you have your Avengers and your RAWs, your Leapers and your Nightforce options, etc, etc.

If I were looking to have both Extreme FT and AAFTA FT events, the premium MDT targets make sense. If only AAFTA, the cheaper targets seem to work fine. Just my 2 cents though.

Last edited:
The S&S that I have has been sitting outside uncovered on my range for the last year . I don't have a 12ft.lb gun but I know @ 90 yards when I hit it with my 35ftlb gun it drops like it's new . This is with absolutely no maintenance , no oil , no wd40, nuthin ! I have never made any adjustments . They are built to last .

Yes, our targets cost more, but with quality comes cost. Cold lines, failing targets and repairs are more expensive in the long run. Dare to compare!
I did compare. S&S are $350 each. Targets capable of 20 ft-lbs are typically $40 to $100 each, and they are well built and don't fail often (Rhino, Yegua, Knockover, Mamba). A little care and feeding of targets goes a LONG WAY to prevent failures, and it's almost free. A lot of failures would need to happen to make a $350 target into an economical benefit. A proper FT match needs 20-30 targets, so that is $10500 for S&S or $3000 for the other ones.

If ASC decides to start EFT we will purchase targets that can withstand up to 100ft-lbs, but I am not sure how many new match directors out there can lay out that much money without some kind of sponsorship or benefactor.
Are they? I’ve never purchased one. Well, actually, I did throw in for a target with 3 or 4 different teammates that we donated to the TexTreme FT venue. I definitely know that they work well. I suppose, just like most anything else, you have your Avengers and your RAWs, your Leapers and your Nightforce options, etc, etc.

If I were looking to have both Extreme FT and AAFTA FT events, the premium MDT targets make sense. If only AAFTA, the cheaper targets seem to work fine. Just my 2 cents though.
S&S are $350 each. MDT are $150.

I did compare. S&S are $350 each. Targets capable of 20 ft-lbs are typically $40 to $100 each, and they are well built and don't fail often (Rhino, Yegua, Knockover, Mamba). A little care and feeding of targets goes a LONG WAY to prevent failures, and it's almost free. A lot of failures would need to happen to make a $350 target into an economical benefit. A proper FT match needs 20-30 targets, so that is $10500 for S&S or $3000 for the other ones.

If ASC decides to start EFT we will purchase targets that can withstand up to 100ft-lbs, but I am not sure how many new match directors out there can lay out that much money without some kind of sponsorship or benefactor.

i would think that the $150 is not meant for EFT ? not sure. But they are built VERY well.
5D882253-691B-4F82-B8D4-F222DD5636D3_1_105_c.jpeg
D68009B3-8774-4C25-AB97-361C62057DD1_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

You were never provided with an actual quote for a set of targets for ASC, nor have you requested one.
Please do not provide misinformation regarding pricing of our products. Our 20 fpe targets start at 250 for INDIVIDUAL targets and 350 for the higher power ones. For quantities over six we will provide a quote, as I mentioned to Scott in his pm and posted on the store page. If ASC would still like an actual quote for a set, please email me. As of yet I still have not heard from ASC for a quote, so I assume you are purchasing elsewhere.

For correct information please refer to:

Reactions: MysticalDragon