• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Maybe You Can Help

I'm trying to decide on what Air Gun to purchase. I'm not opposed to waiting a year or so and saving my money to get something good, but it has to fit my needs. My major need is that it needs to work in any environment for any amount of time. I don't know if PCP will work for that. I can't be bringing in multiple tanks just for a 3 day trip, so I'd need a way to have access to air during the time. It also needs to last pretty much a life time. I'd be cleaning it and packing spare parts as well. It'd need to take at least a squirrel but at most, a deer? I like the idea of being able to take something big with it. If it's not obvious, this will be used for hunting. To take a pig would be nice too. The reason for owning this would be to hunt and keep my family fed in a disaster. Another thing I need is the ammo to be easy to pack. A .22 can easily have 500 rounds in my pocket at any time. I like that. I'd love to be able to change ammo sizes. Having a bullpup that takes .357 but can also take a .22 round with an adapter or something, I'd like that. Give me some suggestions please, I'll answer any other questions you may have. Can be break barrel, PCP (assuming there's a way to refuel the air at a base camp), or even hand cranked from the bottom. It needs to take a squirrel at the very least. Thank you.

That's a tall order. I'd suggest you pick a caliber and stick to that. I think an FX Indy / Independence would suit your prepper needs. I think there is a .30cal option. It has an integrated pump so no tank is required, though it can be filled from an external source if available. Of course you'd want to know the gun inside and out and have parts and be knowledgable about how to repair it. The Verminator also might be an option to consider. It has optional arrow shooting barrel and can change calipers, but you'd need an external pump or tank. 

Indy:
http://www.fxairguns.com/rifle/the-indy/

Verminator MkII Extreme:
http://www.fxairguns.com/rifle/the-verminator-mkll-extreme/

Itd probably need to be light so a heavy fx boss would be out of the question. If you want maximum self sustaining then id suggest the fx indy too but also take a look at the fx impact with multiple caliber options and finally a fx wildcat in .25 or .22. Then finally get a handpump with extra o rings. This would get your through the disaster situation. Stock up on ammo, cleaning supplies, and orings for the gun too and youll be shooting till the end of time heheheh. Although id suggest to put your handpump and orings in a closet as pumping is definently not fun. Get a cf tank for the civilian lifestyle until stuff hits the fan. Only then will you need the handpump. Id suggest a .30 if your taking down deer size targets(headshots only). So wildcat .25/.22, impact .25/.30, and fx indy. I do not suggest you get a hatsan as mine in .25 was decently loud or a maurader. With the guns i have bought i have learned that only money and modifications will get you a quiet gun :(. oh and .30 is not necessarily the go to gun for survival situations because ammo is currently pretty expensive at 11-12 cents a pop! .25 and .22 caliber is much cheaper. this is mainly the reason why i havent stockpiled .30 cal pellets in my closet :(...im poor.

"FukoChan"Itd probably need to be light so a heavy fx boss would be out of the question. If you want maximum self sustaining then id suggest the fx indy too but also take a look at the fx impact with multiple caliber options and finally a fx wildcat in .25 or .22. Then finally get a handpump with extra o rings. This would get your through the disaster situation. Stock up on ammo, cleaning supplies, and orings for the gun too and youll be shooting till the end of time heheheh. Although id suggest to put your handpump and orings in a closet as pumping is definently not fun. Get a cf tank for the civilian lifestyle until stuff hits the fan. Only then will you need the handpump. Id suggest a .30 if your taking down deer size targets(headshots only). So wildcat .25/.22, impact .25/.30, and fx indy. I do not suggest you get a hatsan as mine in .25 was decently loud or a maurader. With the guns i have bought i have learned that only money and modifications will get you a quiet gun :(. oh and .30 is not necessarily the go to gun for survival situations because ammo is currently pretty expensive at 11-12 cents a pop! .25 and .22 caliber is much cheaper. this is mainly the reason why i havent stockpiled .30 cal pellets in my closet :(...im poor.

As a very poor otaku myself, I understand the feel. That's why I'd be buying it after a year's worth of saving. There are a few other things I'll be purchasing before even saving for this. A better gaming computer, some camping gear, and some projects like building a pod bed. But after that my main focus will be doing some hunting and playing with these air rifles. Thanks for your advice, it's helpful. And I won't lie, it is comforting I'm not the only Otaku on here who is into airguns. Cool to know.

Based on your criteria and usage, it sounds like you'd be better off with a traditional bow than an air rifle. Arrows can be reused when you miss in most cases and if you spend some time learning, you can make replacement bowstrings and arrows. Additionally, learning how to trap if you don't know would be highly encouraged as its a simple method for collecting food and other items with zero to little equipment required.

While I'm not opposed to using an air rifle for feeding/defending the family after a disaster, look at how you would use your air powered shooting system for possible problems. For instance, will it function when you run out of pellets? How about when it gets dropped and the scope gets broken? How do you replace the seals when they break or the spring/ram when there is a problem? The same questions need to be asked for PCP devices for when the air runs out or the seals break in the hand pumps. If you have an air rifle with interchangeable barrels, what's the plan for sighting in each time the barrel gets replaced? That's additional resources used and you need to calculate this into the equation.

If you're still looking at the air rifle route, consider an AirForce Talon or Condor. Get several red dot sights, a scope or two, some hand pumps, extra reservoir tanks, replacement O rings, and additional barrels (24" for max power). This system allows for easy changing of the barrels without having to mess around with replacing other parts as well. The rail also allows for crude site construction so if there is an issue, you can fashion something and still make it work. Other factors it has going for it is the single shot capability. This prevents wasting pellets as the adrenaline starts going up and doing the "hail Mary" shots because the family is hungry. It also has a power adjustment wheel so you can save "fuel" when hunting smaller game and then turn it up when required. As you can get up to 50 fpe with certain combinations (barrel length, power, pellet) it may give you what you're looking for in terms of flexibility. I'd look at the .25 out the gate and then do a .22 barrel. Note that if you consider the Condor and want to do a .177, you need a different air bottle which is why I'm not recommending it at this time.

I'll look into those air rifles. I used to love using traditional bows, but after a bicycle accident, I can't use them anymore. There's a lot of possible problems with every route I'm looking at, but the hope is I'll have back ups just in case and take precautions to prevent those. My original gun I was going to purchase was the "Gamo Bone Collector Bull Whisper .22" but I saw on here that there was problems with it.

Ive have to agree on the AirForce.
Ive been rolling with my Condors .22 and .25 cal and I'm very impressed with the build quality, accuracy, ease of modification and maintenance as well as weather-ability in different claimants. The simplicity of how the gun is built makes it very easy to find alternative parts in a pinch to get you up and running if there is a failure. I have the hand pump witch for hunting you shouldn't have to refill it very often if your a good shot so keeping it topped off with air is no big deal. For hunting if dropped everything from a squirrel, a 350lb bore, bobcat, beaver and dear with my .25cal. Also for mods for more power are very easy to come by. Don't get me wrong, I love the FX guns a lot, wish I had the cash to get one but at the end of the day the limited life time warranty, spending my cash in the US and not having the 2G to purchase the FX, the AirForce was Condor was the right air rifle for me.

Yea I noticed that with the FX. Pretty guns but the insane amount for them is sort of a turn off. That magazine is a pretty addition, where do you find that? Also you're saying that you can drop all those with the same gun but different barrels? I can see using different size barrels and different sized containers for air in a pack, just would be odd to lug around, but doable with a certain set up.

The magazine/grip I made. I wanted to be able to carry all my tools needed to work on my Condor as well as a place to store pellets for shooting. All the goods are stored inside in a Neoprene case inside the mag. I like the pellet storage unit that wraps around the tank but ran into issues with skirt damage on the pellets when moving threw brush. The mag also is a much more comfortable way to shoot by holding on to it and pulling the gun words you appose to the factory foregrip. I made a 3D design of the mag holder and trimmed down a .308 mag to fit inside the 3D print. It attaches to the gun with NO TOOLS and is rock solid. If you are interested Id be more then happy to make you one, just let me know. Oh Also the strength of the 3D print is amazing!!! 20% Carbon Fiber and 80% ABS. 

Good luck on your Airgun shopping

As a very poor otaku myself, I understand the feel. That's why I'd be buying it after a year's worth of saving. There are a few other things I'll be purchasing before even saving for this. A better gaming computer, some camping gear, and some projects like building a pod bed. But after that my main focus will be doing some hunting and playing with these air rifles. Thanks for your advice, it's helpful. And I won't lie, it is comforting I'm not the only Otaku on here who is into airguns. Cool to know.

-Arsenul
Ha ha welcome to the forum Arsenul! It is true that I am a otaku and it is reassuring to know there is another member here. I took up air gunning to quell my addiction to computer games. So far it has done that and I feel much more outgoing. Instead of spending my day in a chair eating twinkies I go out into the wilderness where I can be "one" with nature. Now I didn't quit games but it is moderated much better. I also work out every day in my college P.E. class so I can be physically fit to carry a FX Boss around. Overall, I have gained much by joining this sport and I implore you to join too! :D. Change your profile pic and make yourself known as there is now two otakus on AGN :)!!! Although, I don't really voice it apart from my profile picture. 

As for your first PCP, I do not suggest you to get a springer as I am hoping you to fully dive yourself into the sport. Springers require the artillery hold to be accurate and the majority of your groupings will be due to your holds, PCPs not so much which is why I suggest saving for a PCP. i actually bought a springer but sold it shortly after I tried a PCP. I do see the benefits of getting a bow but I do not suggest it, as Arrows (carbon fiber) are "VERY" expensive at 5 $ for a medium quality arrow and another 2.50$ for broadheads. I did bowhunting before coming to this sport and have to say having accuracy with a bow is much more difficult than having accuracy with a pcp. Just imagine missing your targetting, having your arrow fly right over a deer/target into the forest and losing 5$ instantly. Arrows float on top of water too but entangles into the weeds and lilypads of lakes. By the time you find your arrow in the lake, the broadhead or fieldtips/fieldpoints will have rusted :D. Bows are also really easy to dryfire. I have done it twice :D as sometimes you just pull back thinking you have a arrow loaded when you don't. Once you dryfire a bow, poof! 300$+ bow gone!

You should save up for a 1000$+ pcp or one of the airforces guns in at least .25. Cheaper guns like my old hatsan long qe in .25 were super loud(even louder than my FX Boss!). You will not be dissatisfied with FX guns or any gun in the 1000$ range. I actually think that even if you were to have issues with leaks or something out of the factory, It will be well worth the trouble for shooting the gun. Im not saying this will happen, but there is always a chance of having a faulty gun(very rare). Some brands I can recommend to you is
Another super important thing I would do if i was in your boat, is buy a used gun from the classifieds section. These are guns that have already been put through the test and will have info on how they shoot and any cosmetic blemishes it may have. Every gun is somewhat different. Some may shoot better groups than others or have a POI change as the pressure decreases. So the seller will have already listed its capabilities. This is sometimes better than buying a brand new gun. The pricing is insane, you can probably find people selling guns for 25-50% off on the classifieds. I have to say...ALL of my old PCPs were used guns :D. My FX Boss that I currently own is actually a used gun and it looks brand new despite having two owners before hand. So definitely scan the classified section daily to get the best deals. 

List of things you'll need for your new PCP:
  • Scope (I am actually selling a UTG 4-16 30mm scope on the classifieds, it was my first scope)
  • Scope Rings to mount the scope on your gun
  • Pellets (do research on which pellets are the best for the gun and try them out, every gun is different!)
  • Handpump (I prefer the hillpump as the UK manufacturing quality is very top notch. cheaper handpumps work too!)
  • adapter to fill your gun depending on the way the gun fills
Optional Things that Helped
  • Rangefinder
  • Extra magazines for the gun
  • Bipod (depending on the gun, you may need to install pica rails or atlas rails)
  • practice targets (you can't just go shooting up random stuff, gotta get a target to zero properly)
  • Later on as I have not gotten to this step myself you should get a carbon fiber tank to fill your gun

Granted I just came up with this off the top of my head so don't take this seriously. Anyways, welcome to the forum!

Sincerely, 

FukoChan