Maybe not worth the money and effort

• Thread starter Deleted member 46449
  • Start date
Interesting. I hadn't looked at either of those guns. Right now, the P-3 would be a bit more than I want to sink into another gun. Don't fret, airgun fans. I'm certainly not done with buying guns. I just figure I'd best learn a bit about the two I have before I sink more major $$$ into the hobby.

The P-17, on the other hand, is of great interest to me. The overall appearance between the two guns is very similar. I expect the P-3 is a much nicer gun. I do like the fact the gun is a single-stroke pneumatic. I might even be convinced to buy something like the P-17. Heck, $40 isn't even a good dinner anymore. The last place the wife and I went out to eat cost me just over $90 with the tip. That was for prime rib dinners. I only had one drink and the wife had water. So, $40 for another air pistol is a definite possibility.

Before I make any move, I'd be interested in hearing what owners of the P-17 think of it. How about it? Any P-17 owners want to share their opinions?

smhardesty, I recently acquired a Beeman P17 and have been very happy with it. At that price point it is an excellent deal. The pistol comes with an excellent trigger and the fiber optic sights work well with my eyes. I've had no needs to do any upgrades. Accuracy has been excellent. This gun does very well with even the cheap Daisy wad cutters that I've had sitting around.
A big selling point for me is the fact that you can take this pistol apart if you need to replace a seal. Lots of the inexpensive guns you can't take apart or get new parts for them. The P17 you can. It's a little hard to cock but not really a big deal. Go ahead and give one a try.
Just one more thing. If you get a P17 the pin that holds the rear sight in will start to work loose. Just tap it back in and put a tiny drop of super glue on each end of the pin.

I've heard that the P-17 trigger is amazing I can't verify that since I don't have one, but I can tell you that if its half as nice as the P-3 its well worth $40! The trigger on the P-3 is unbelievable, when I'm at the range I let others try it just to see their faces after they squeeze the trigger. The accuracy is very good also I'm sure it would be even better in the hands of a better shooter than I. What Moog said about taking the pistol apart is very true its an easy pistol to work on and I believe the P-17/P-3 is identical in tear down procedures. For $40 you can't go wrong :giggle:

Hmm. The more I read, the more I'm inclined to go ahead and buy a P-17. Then, I can kind of relegate the 1377 to experimenting on disassembling and reassembling these air guns. If I had two different pistols to use, I could go ahead and take lots of time and maybe even do some modding to that 1377. I wouldn't be rushed to just "get it done".

The P-17 would be a much better choice for target shooting in the garage, too. I'll be at 20', give or take. That's a pretty close range for the Mod 25. At least I'm thinking it is. I know I wouldn't be nearly so concerned with a round going all the way through my trap. Yes, I've decided what I'm going to try first for my home made trap. I'll take photos and post as I build the ting. I'm hoping to get out this weekend and buy some of the stuff I need.

I'll be tied up all day tomorrow though. I'm headed to an antique tractor pull for the day. I built a pulling tractor, or actually rebuilt it, for a guy I did computer work for. I pulled it for three years. He has made some major modifications to it and is now running on the 3 and 4 mph open classes. He's having trouble getting the thing to hook up the right way. I went to a pull with him three weeks ago and immediately saw one problem. The front end was firmly planted on the ground. I told him we needed to shift about 150 pounds of weight from the front to the rear. Tomorrow will be the first time he is pulling since we made that change.

But, back to guns. You guys are being pretty positive about an awfully low cost gun. I can't see myself NOT buying one to use in the garage. I can see myself using this as an excuse to tear the 1377 apart and rebuild and/or mod it. Yeah, it looks like I might need to make another purchase. The wife can't say a word since we just bought a new freezer, refrigerator, and stove, and we've had contractors in here all week and they'll be here all next week doing the last of the remodeling the wife wanted. Hmmm, $15,000 to $20,000 for remodeling and new appliances. $40 for an air gun. Seems I might have a few dollars I can spend without guilt. LOL!

Reactions: Simplemann
What the heck. I just went ahead and ordered a P-17. Got it for only $34.99 too. Plus the shipping and tax, but I have to pay that anyway since I live in the boonies and there isn't a decent sporting goods store or even a really good gun shop anywhere near me. Yeah, after I posted that about the new applainces and the remodeling the wife wanted, I sat here for a couple of minutes thinking and figured I might as well order another gun.

I'll fill you all in as soon as I get it. Thanks to you guys for the good info about eh P-17!

Reactions: Simplemann
Thanks. I'm actually a bit concerned with firing the Mod 25 inside the garage at a target/trap 20' or less apart. I know I'll feel a whole bunch better firing the P-17 in those tight quarters. My garage isn't exactly wide open. Once side has the car and the other side is pretty much my shop and work area and it's REALLY cluttered with stuff. I've looked at the situation in the garage and I think I'll have to back the car out, then fire across the garage from side to side and not front to back. I have two, brand new, insulated, garage doors and I'm not about to fire a pellet in their direction. Turning the other way, we have a door with a large glass in it and then shelves with lots of items on them on the back wall. No way I'm firing towards then either. LOL!

I've heard that the P-17 trigger is amazing I can't verify that since I don't have one, but I can tell you that if its half as nice as the P-3 its well worth $40! The trigger on the P-3 is unbelievable, when I'm at the range I let others try it just to see their faces after they squeeze the trigger. The accuracy is very good also I'm sure it would be even better in the hands of a better shooter than I. What Moog said about taking the pistol apart is very true its an easy pistol to work on and I believe the P-17/P-3 is identical in tear down procedures. For $40 you can't go wrong :giggle:
Yes, The P-17 trigger is mind blowing good for a sub-$50 airgun.

Thanks. I'm actually a bit concerned with firing the Mod 25 inside the garage at a target/trap 20' or less apart. I know I'll feel a whole bunch better firing the P-17 in those tight quarters. My garage isn't exactly wide open. Once side has the car and the other side is pretty much my shop and work area and it's REALLY cluttered with stuff. I've looked at the situation in the garage and I think I'll have to back the car out, then fire across the garage from side to side and not front to back. I have two, brand new, insulated, garage doors and I'm not about to fire a pellet in their direction. Turning the other way, we have a door with a large glass in it and then shelves with lots of items on them on the back wall. No way I'm firing towards then either. LOL!
You will never regret getting a P-17. Can't go wrong for the price and simple one stroke pneumatic. Amazing good trigger suitable for a gun 10x the price. Good for about 400-420 fps with avg weight pellets. Very consistent muzzle velocities based on my chrony data. Mine does shoot about 3-4" low at 10m. The only negative IMO is that the cocking force is about 20-25 and where you have to put pressure on the cocking lever would be right where you'd mount a small optic or red dot. Sooo.. kind of work for me only with open sights.

Regarding lube/cleaning chemicals for your Hatsan. Ballistol for the barrel. Run patches till patches come out dry and clean. Put a very light film of silicone oil on the breach seal. Recommend the silicone oil for any break barrel pivots also, should not use any petroleum based lubes on a breakbarrel, springer or gas piston. Any internal lube (don't know if you'd ever need it) recommend moly grease, again, never petroleum based compounds.

Regards, Badger

You guys are really making me feel good about buying the P-17. I like what I'm seeing. Hopefully, I'll not have a need for a scope or red dot. This gun will be mostly relegated to use in the garage for plinking when I don't want to go outside or when it's raining and can't get out. Just something to keep the eye and mind a little keener.

Then, I'll use the Mod 25 with the red dot outside and when I take the short walks to the wooded areas near the house. That will free up the 1377 for me to disassemble, or destroy, and learn from. Who knows what I'll end up doing to that thing. For now, I'll just plan on slowly disassembling it so I can learn what makes these puppies work. Depending on how I get along with the other two guns, I might then be willing to put out the $$$ to mod the 1377 up a bit.

I'm getting ready to do the initial cleaning of the Mod 25 before shooting it. I don't plan on using any type of cleaner on it. Maybe a good wiping down with a clean rag and then rodding the barrel a few times to be sure there are no metal filings or shavings in the barrel. I've had more than one powder gun, from big name manufacturers, that had LOTS of metal shavings left in them. The most recent was a real shock to me. I had purchased a Taurus 856 and when I looked in the barrel I could actually see lots of "something" in there. I rodded it and let the stuff fall onto the white towel I put under my guns when I clean them. There was a small pile of metal shavings there. I never expected to see that much leftover in a Taurus. Yeah, I know. There are a lot of guys in the world that wouldn't own a Taurus. I understand and respect that. I had nothing but good luck with the various Taurus guns I owned. Never got a bad one.

I think I have gotten the idea to NOT use any petroleum based cleaners or lubes on an airgun. I know enough of you guys have really stressed that point.

You guys are really making me feel good about buying the P-17. I like what I'm seeing. Hopefully, I'll not have a need for a scope or red dot. This gun will be mostly relegated to use in the garage for plinking when I don't want to go outside or when it's raining and can't get out. Just something to keep the eye and mind a little keener.

Then, I'll use the Mod 25 with the red dot outside and when I take the short walks to the wooded areas near the house. That will free up the 1377 for me to disassemble, or destroy, and learn from. Who knows what I'll end up doing to that thing. For now, I'll just plan on slowly disassembling it so I can learn what makes these puppies work. Depending on how I get along with the other two guns, I might then be willing to put out the $$$ to mod the 1377 up a bit.

I'm getting ready to do the initial cleaning of the Mod 25 before shooting it. I don't plan on using any type of cleaner on it. Maybe a good wiping down with a clean rag and then rodding the barrel a few times to be sure there are no metal filings or shavings in the barrel. I've had more than one powder gun, from big name manufacturers, that had LOTS of metal shavings left in them. The most recent was a real shock to me. I had purchased a Taurus 856 and when I looked in the barrel I could actually see lots of "something" in there. I rodded it and let the stuff fall onto the white towel I put under my guns when I clean them. There was a small pile of metal shavings there. I never expected to see that much leftover in a Taurus. Yeah, I know. There are a lot of guys in the world that wouldn't own a Taurus. I understand and respect that. I had nothing but good luck with the various Taurus guns I owned. Never got a bad one.

I think I have gotten the idea to NOT use any petroleum based cleaners or lubes on an airgun. I know enough of you guys have really stressed that point.
Glad to see your enthusiasm!(y) Concerning the 1377 you could still make it into a carbine and have a "long gun" too. I still have that spare 2250 stock if you want it (no cost, a gift). PM me if interested. Still recommend some ballistol for the barrel cleaning, just get it so the patches are coming out dry, there will still be a light film on the bore.

For a fairly safe, quiet and cheap "garage" trap get a sack of rubber mulch @ Walmart and fill a cardboard box with it. 10 to 12 inches deep will stop most 177 & 22 rounds. I use duct tape across the front to keep it together a little longer. The rubber mulch dissipates the energy really well and is quiet. Stick an old peice of plywood etc behind it for insurance.

Rubber mulch is definitely in my plans. I'm going to do a bit more than just use the bag. I'll post up some photos as I put things together. Right now, I've got to tackle a couple of problems that popped up while I was at the tractor pull today.

The pull went pretty good. When I got there, I moved some weight from the front of the tractor to the back, lowered the tire pressure a couple of pounds, then tuned the carb just a touch. Must have done something right. He got 2nd place in the 5000 pound class. That's a whole lot better than he had been doing. We screwed up on the 5500 pound class. We decided to try a different lane on the track and he hit a soft spot at about 125'. Oops! It happens.

Glad to see your enthusiasm!(y) Concerning the 1377 you could still make it into a carbine and have a "long gun" too. I still have that spare 2250 stock if you want it (no cost, a gift). PM me if interested. Still recommend some ballistol for the barrel cleaning, just get it so the patches are coming out dry, there will still be a light film on the bore.

Message sent