May Sitr a Hornets Nest - Alpha Wolf Settings .25

Am I missing something or are there only 3 choices for pellet weight in the factory settings for the .25? The only choice for barrel length is 23. You can alter voltage and hammer (dwell) and choose FPS and Regulator pressure. It all shows in the active set. What if I wanted to install a 17" barrell? Couldn't swipe and find a 17" barrel You can't input pellet weight but you can choose one of the 3 that's provided by somebody at the factory. If you don't use the pellet weight they set the gun at the factory with how do you compensate for what pellet/slug you are shooting? It could really make a significant and different resultt. That's a variable not taken lightly. (Pardon the pun)
You can go into advanced settings and set hammer (dwell), voltage, regulator pressure, create a name for it and save it and recall it when you want to use that setting. I could find nowhere in the advanced settings for you to choose pellet weight. So what weight is the computer using to calcualte what it has to change to get the speed desired etc.. Is it using one of the 3 weights available in the factory settings?
I saw somewhere an explanation of not being able to overwrite a previous setting saved in the Alpha Wolf advanced menu, You have to do a new one and save it. I saw on the programming pdf for the Delta Wolf that there was an overwrite and a delete function menu choice. Can't find that in the Alpha Wolf menu choices. That choice popped up after you did a 'save your settings'. So, how many advanced screen settings can you save before you have exhausted the space in the internal memory?
Maybe my rifle is programmed incorrectly but how would I know that unless I explain what is see and learn if I am missing something?

Hi Jim,

I just got my Delta Wolf a couple weeks ago so still playing with settings myself. I am on the latest firmware so it should match what you have.

The factory settings are ones they tested and added to the gun. They are good starting points. One thing you could do is start with one that has a pellet weight close to what you are using. Then you can adjust the speed up or down for it until you hit the sweet spot for that pellet. That's what I did and then noted the voltage and dwell. Then I used that as a starting point for the advanced section.

The gun doesn't care about pellet weight. The settings for it in the factory section are only to access the preprogrammed setting they came up with when testing for that pellet. It is still just changing the voltage and dwell to get to the FPS it wants for that selection. It would be nice if there were more preprogrammed selections in the factory settings section.

For the factory mode you could select the wrong pellet weight, wrong barrel and maybe even the wrong caliber and since it is using the chronograph to alter the settings it would eventually end up at the speed you are requesting.

In the advanced mode it doesn't use the chronograph to alter any settings. It is there just to let you know what speed you are shooting. It isn't doing any calculations to adjust for anything. It is simply going by the parameters that are entered. It knows how hard to open the valve with voltage and how long to keep it open with dwell. The other variable is what you have the regulator set to.

I cheated and used Center Cuts settings as a base. I know AOA adds some in the advanced section. You could start with one of those as the base.

That is a great question about how many you can save. I have not seen that mentioned anywhere. Maybe the new software and dongle you can use on a laptop would tell us?

Hopefully I didn't confuse things more.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jeremy has given some good info/advice.

Daystate only offers a 23" barrel so why would there be more options? The 3 pellet weights pretty much covers that also. I want to highly emphasize... the factory selections are ONLY a STARTING point... As long as the starting velocity is within 100 ft/sec, it will tune to whatever you set in... within it's capabilities.
In the menu where the New Set and Recall is, scroll left or right to access the Delete and Rename options.
If you save a Set as one that previously exists, it will overwrite it. Say you are currently in Set 2525 with 2000 uS, 70 v, and reg 130 and you want to change it down it little... go to New Set, input 2000 uS, 69v, and 130 for the reg and it will give you a naming screen to save it. Scroll to 2525 and select that and it will overwrite the previous settings, leaving you with 2000, 69v, and reg 130 for that set from then on. Now you will have to go back to the Advanced menu and Recall set 2525 to actually make the changes active.
I don't know an actual number of sets you can save but it's a LOT . I've had more than 50 at times but decided to trim that down, as scrolling through them gets unwieldy .

Keep in mind that with the onboard chrono , only the velocity is important to the rifle. Daystate has created a good number of tables that cover a large portion of the available pellet weights but again .... it's only the start point for it to tune the rifle. If the actual velocity is more than 100 ft/sec over or under the set velocity, it sees it as an error and will not input any tuning so what you're trying to do with the Factory mode is choose the parameters that will get you closest. The actual barrel length and pellet weight help, but close is okay.

Bob

Thank you profusely. Since I posted this I have had some discussions with some of the dealer experts and they have explained some of the things I questioned. When I ordered the rifle the dealer asked me if I wanted a 17" or a 23" barrel. Maybe his bad.
Any reference to regulator pressure would be appreciated. In all my mechanical PCPs I learned, maybe incorretly, that reg pressure had to be high enough to push the pellet but too much regulator pressure would just waste air affecting shot count detrimentally. So it looks like I ahve to come to a different understanding to operate the AW.
When you are using a saved set for slugs with an "X" regulator pressure and then move to a light pellet do you have to again adjust the regpressure before you start your shooting?. Perhaps you do not adjust the mechanical regulator under the neck of the bottle but your input of that as a variable in the advanced settings takes care of that. Still learning.

The best extreme spreads will be when the reg is just above what pressure can generate the power that you're desiring. The pressure can be ANYWHERE above that though. It's just not quite as consistent. That means that you can be shooting slugs at high power and just input a new set or setting for something light any time you wish... it just won't be the best possible. DS has pretty high recommended pressures for the Factory mode but this is because they are covering the full range of pellets in the selections.
One note...while setting it, the screen will show red for the reg pressure if the actual pressure is above or below the recommended while in Factory mode. It's just telling you that this is not what they intended but you can still select it and it functions just fine. It actually compensates according to pressure just like a Red Wolf when off the selected reg pressure.
Weird that the salesperson would give a choice of barrel in 25 cal😕
Bob