Tuning Maximus victim of the next mod.

I bought this .22 Maximus from Midway for $135 about a year back. Figured it would morph into something sooner or later.

So, since my Christmas gun was delayed and I was bored as I haven’t got out much with the temps in the 25-35F range and lots of rain and snow for the last couple weeks. So, I got the brand new never fired Maximus out and proceeded to tear it apart.

First thing I did was dive into my breech collection. Still have a few of the old BNM breeches, that take the Marauder magazines, so grabbed the only .177 there cuz I don't have a .177 PCP yet.

Found I still had an old shroud with baffles that fit the breech as well so, even though it was for a .22 I grabbed that and picked up the matching barrel band too.

Found a power adjuster in one of my boxes and the gun thought it should have it also.

What to do for a barrel? Then noticed I still have my Impact 500mm .177 barrel and thought I heard the liner saying softly use me.

Then came all of that werq;

I had to make adapters for the liner to make it fit in the BNM breech so used some brass stock I had on hand.

Then as usual the breech can't go on with just that tiny 4/48 screw holding it in the middle. So, I drilled the new breech, all the way through, up front with a #29 bit and a larger one on top to allow the screw head to go through. I can put a #12 set screw in the hole. Then drilled and tapped the tube to accept the new 6/48 screw to hold it better.

Decided to tap the breech up front so I can secure the liner with o-rings. Like FX does on the Crown. It was a pain to do and I messed the flats up in the vise while threading the piece. The threads are a bit sloppy but everything tightened up securely. I was impressed that the five squished up o-rings, behind that brass nut, really hold the liner tight.

Thought the thin liner could use some support from the shroud so found these on an old project barrel and made some Delrin bushings for them. Added a drop of locktight to make sure they stay put.

When I had all of the parts together and the adapters made I figured it was time to put things together. So, I screwed the breech on and fergot to put the hammer in. Pull it apart and got that taken care.

Got the breech on again and then realized I fergot the transfer port. I had not even made the new transfer port yet. So, yanked it apart again and modified the steel transfer port that comes with the BMN breech. Put the T-port in and the breech back on for the third time.

The tube and hammer were completely dry so I put a drop of oil on them.

Finally luck was on my side and I got it all the way together this time.

But then I realized I don’t have a .177 Marauder magazine so I had to single load a few to test the gun.

Man is this thing hard to cock!! I could not get it to cock the first few tries. I thought something was not right but then it got a little better.

Talk about a lightweight gun! This one is that for sure. Put a Hawke 2 x 7 compact scope on it to keep the weight down.

Yes, I know the barrel is a bit long I will make a carbon shroud for it soon enough but this one was already drilled and complete so made it easy.

With 12 baffles in the shroud it is dead quiet.

I left the internals stock as it was a .22 so it should be more than good power wise as a .177. If not I can fix that.

Still has that awful trigger though. I will take care of that soon enough.

Thinking about putting a regulator in it also.

Need to get a .177 magazine and go test this thing out. But it puts them through the same exact hole at ten meters.

EDIT;

Cost of the mod thus far;

$137 Gun shipped

$140 Breech

$30 Shroud $80 which will go down to $30 when I put the carbon tube on.

$35 Barrel band

$42 Power adjuster

$10 Brass rod say probly less as I did not use much.

$20 Magazine

$414 Total cost

$130 Huma reg soon to come and that will be about it.

$544 for a regulated, lightweight, well built and very accurate gun is a pretty good deal me thinks and far less than the $1000 I usually spend.

Cool! I bought the Maximus from Midway also while they were on sale last year and got free shipping. Mine is still sitting on the shelf unopened waiting for inspiration to strike me as to what I’m going to do with it. I originally wanted to build a shrouded pumper, but now I’m waiting for the new Crosman 362 pumper to come out before I start that project. 

Well I just finished the trigger mod you find below. Did it all and the trigger is sooo.. much better now. But still a just a single stage with a smooth longish pull. 

Maximus trigger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv4J0f4Stb4&ab_channel=WilliamBaldyga

Still having problems getting it to latch on cocking unless I really yank on the bolt. I keep backing off the power adjuster but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Seems to be getting better but not fast enough.

Well l looks like I am more of a victim of the Maximus than the other way around. I had a major pellet jam and after two hours of troubleshooting I figured out it was the brass barrel adapter that I made.

When I was making the adapter for the FX barrel I thought I would just oval-port it for a bit more power. More power is always good? Well even the few thousandths I lengthened the port made the pellet run into the side of the barrel and intermittently jam things up real good.

Once I figured this out I went ahead and made a new adapter with a slightly smaller .126 inch port and no oval porting.

But while tearing the gun down and assembling it multiple times I managed to trash the so-so threads on my cool o-ring barrel holding system so had to resort to the old standard set screws. 

It shoots very well now. Pellets even come out of the end of the barrel, when I pull the trigger, which a big plus in my opinion, and no more jamming action.

The evil adapter.