• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Maximus .22 Tuning/modifying

I just got a Maximus I want to be my project rifle for getting into finally taking PCPs apart and learning the parts. That being said I plan to take it apart smooth things out and polish stuff but for the guys who have done this what have you done and why? I am not doing the marauder trigger upgrade, I want to be able to try some H&N slugs if I can't get my shot count up by decreasing maybe reducing power. I have no set ideas I just want to play with it and crosman parts are cheap and easy to get. 

Regulator or no?

12ftlb hammer spring in 22 cal?

TP upgrade to shoot slugs?

Can it even shoot slugs? (Thanks Bob O lol)

Recommended pellets to try.

What mods are worth it and what aren't?

Mine likes the JSB 13.43 pellets. I took apart the trigger and cleaned up the contact points (except for the hammer sear ), lubed them with moly-lube, made a real difference in the trigger feel. My trigger levers were stamped, and very rough. I did note that the JSB and H&N have very different POI. Mine is the hunter version, so it had a threaded muzzle, a LDC makes plinking more enjoyable. A crony will be handy to see where the thing likes to be charged to, and shot down to. Over 1800 is a waste of effort on mine and 1200 is about the bottom. Without a regulator you will have to predict poi drop as pressure drops, particularly at range over 30 yds or so.

Yeah like I said I plan to just play alot with different set ups. I have a Chrono and a 100 yard personal range so I'm good to go as far as testing goes. I think I'll try the regulator no matter what just so I can install one and see how it is. I never messed with PCPs that deeply. I know the trigger assembly is stamped steel and I planned to smooth that all out for sure.

I put a HuMa in my Maximus and am shooting 748 fps with .22 JSB 15.9s. Pleased with that. 

You can also do a trigger mod (no marauder upgrade necessary) that really improves the stock trigger - lots of videos on how to do that.

Hello Vana2

I just ordered a Huma regulator (on sale through tomorrow 15% off) for my Maximus 22

What regulator pressure setting is working well for you?

Also

Putting my ignorance on display yet again................

It's my understanding that when the regulator is installed the Maximus gauge will read regulator pressure; not tube pressure

What hardware would I need to be able to fill the gun and know what pressure is in the tube?

Thanks

Ed