• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Maximum Accuracy

I agree, Kim. Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. If a shooter is practicing bad techniques over and over again then they are going to consistently get poor results.

Many things can affect accuracy:
- Quality of the rifle/pistol.
- Pellet being used. Even while using the best pellet for my rifle I get the occasional flyer.
- body stance.
- weapon hold throughout the entire cycle. It doesn't end until the pellet leaves the barrel.
- trigger pull.
- controlled breathing.
I'm sure I'm leaving a lot of things out. Then, as already mentioned there are elements and distractors that are beyond our control.

Reactions: Bob
Agree-- practice is only fruitful, if you start with good technique -- also for some, as with any discipline - all the practice in the world won't help. I've seen people take piano lessons until their fingers almost fell off-- still can't play to save their soul-- talent is something that can't be taught-- But------
join a club, or enroll in a marksmanship program - read profusely -- breathing techniques - trigger control - proper hold - and the biggie -----
purchase the best equipment that you can afford!!
theres an urban legend of a guy showing up to a match with sub Par gear and kicking everbodies butt- in all my years I've never seen such a feat-- don't believe the 90 percent guy and ten percent gun chat----- 
Also you have to be driven! Just how bad do you want it??
CK

All great advice - thanks!

I've been shooting informal benchrest 30y at home. But my currently best gun - 25 Marauder with a good target scope - isn't quite up to it. It can a shoot a few X's then fly off 3/8" for no good reason, while the crosshairs stay dead on target.

I agree on getting the best equipment and am working on that now. I hope to have an AR that misses only because of me (or wind) - which should help me focus on technique.