Max hunting distance with .22 springer?

Power level in addition to caliber is important for determining your effective (or max) hunting range. My .177 hw97k also shoots at about 12fpe and my max hunting range is 40 yards. Given the trajectory of .22, I would try and stay inside of 50 yards even at a higher power level. That should be a very effective hunting setup.
R

Given the trajectory of .22, I would try and stay inside of 50 yards even at a higher power level.

Well, at such long ranges I usually have the time to laze the quarry for an accurate range ±½y.
Then I could care less about the trajectory....😉 In my scopecam it's fun to watch the pellet descend through several mil in the FFP scope down onto my quarry before it makes contact.

Matthias

I rarely get a shot past thirty yards because of the dense forest where I hunt. I hunt rabbits and gray squirrels. Theoretically I could engage targets out to fifty yards shooting rifles in the same power class as the Hw 97 but when the opportunity presents itself for a longer shot there is usually enough cover to encourage me to stalk closer.

Are bigger calibers less accurate at further yardages?
For a given power spring powered air rifle .177 will always have the flattest trajectory. Bigger pellets are going to move slower so as the caliber increases the trajectory becomes more arching to achieve the same range as the .177. Range estimation is crucial .25 and .30 cal pellets are no less accurate than .177 they are just harder to shoot accurately at longer range.

My magnum springer in .22 is 11.5 fpe at 80 yards with the barracuda hunter extremes in 18 grn . I can hit small soup cans all day with it .Wind Is more of a factor at that yardage than it is at 25 but a few clicks to adjust and it's doable .I'm assuming your talking about max hunting distance? Got a shipment of Griffin slugs in today..at .217 and .218 in 16 to 20 grain to test tomorrow. If they shoot decent I'd say 80 should be a lot easier. Keeping my fingers crossed ....