Maverick vs. impact M3

I've shot both in the compact versions. (Actually so far it has been a MkII vs a Maverick). 

Even with the dual regs and such, the Maverick to me just wasn't much different when compared to a Dreamline based gun. Not to say that it wasn't good, as I really like the Dreamlines, and they have been reliable, accurate and consistent shooters for me. But the Mav just didn't seem to bring anything more to the table for me. Of course it didn't help that my brand new Mav ended up leaking air into the breech occasionally when shooting, mandating the 3-4 shots in quick succession to get her valve to seal again.

The Impact MkII compact, however, felt like a whole different animal to me. How can I describe it? More 'solid' feeling, and just seemed to shoot better for me right out of the box. Just overall 'nicer', although that personal feeling could have come from the extra $$$ I paid for it?

In the end, my MkII compact has turned into my go-to walk-around gun when I am at the range looking for squirrels who are trying to destroy our safety berms. 3 down so far. That little gun hits what I aim at and does the job for me. My other light 'pups don't get to come out and play very much at all.

The Mav Compact? Well after shooting it and comparing it to the MkII compact, and with its valve leaking issues, I returned it to the vendor for a refund.

I do also have an M3 sniper in .25 cal. And there is nothing about that gun which makes me feel any different about my Impact vs Maverick feelings described above. Not all of the revisions to the M3 were 'necessary' to me, but they are all nice and just further the distance between Impact and Mav.

And maybe by the end of next week I will also get to try out my new M3 Compact (.22), and compare it directly against my MkII Compact (.22). In the end I'm pretty sure that I will have 2 great compact form factor guns, which both come out of the gun rack often.

To me, when you are already paying as much as you are for the gun, shelling out an extra $300 for an M3 over the Mav is worth it. It is an extra cost that you won't remember paying for long. And it may preclude the "I like my Mav, but I still wonder now whether I should have popped for the M3 instead" feeling.

TMH

“To me, when you are already paying as much as you are for the gun, shelling out an extra $300 for an M3 over the Mav is worth it. It is an extra cost that you won't remember paying for long. And it may preclude the "I like my Mav, but I still wonder now whether I should have popped for the M3 instead" feeling”

I can only agree! We are already paying stratospheric amounts for what are essentially toys. If you can afford it, get the best one you can.

I have both and 1st off the maverick is amazing great airgun!! But it's not a impact m3 they are a lot of difference between the both of them the impact m3 spend the extra cash for the impact M3 it's just a better all around gun from the cocking mechanism to the power plenum being bigger to the accessories to how much more robust it is to handle. its a complete different gun. Both are great but I love my M3 over my maverick. 

The Impact MkII is a fine gun, especially the latest iterations.

None of the revisions to the M3 are necessary in my opinion for the shooting that I do.

With that said, however, all of the revisions to the M3 combine to make it a better gun as compared to the MkII.

It will by no means obsolete the MkII - The MkII is and will always be a top notch accurate, powerful shooter.

I have shot both versions, and they are both great.

A deal on an MkII will be a deal on a great gun.

I would prefer to own and shoot either Impact over a Maverick. Note, however, that my total shooting time on a Maverick is very limited. Others who have owned the gun longer and shot it more will have a more valuable opinion.

To be honest I don't know why anyone at this point would buy a mk2 impact unless you are getting one for cheap!! Used. If you are buying one why not get the new M3. It's about $100 more and worth it. But if you find a used one cheap it would haft to be cheap or then am afraid I would go with the maverick just because bigger plenum and dull regs makes a bigger difference to me. 

It’s only worth it if you need or should I say NEED what an Impact offers. My guess, and judging by the knowledge of airgunners across 3 forums have, only a small percentage of airgunners need an Impact. If you are the guy who’s thrilled with an Edgun, Vulcan, Taipan, or Cricket, you’ll be happy with a Maverick. I guarantee that there are plenty of guys here that can outshoot Mr. Creditcards Impact with their Mavericks.

It’s only worth it if you need or should I say NEED what an Impact offers. My guess, and judging by the knowledge of airgunners across 3 forums have, only a small percentage of airgunners need an Impact. If you are the guy who’s thrilled with an Edgun, Vulcan, Taipan, or Cricket, you’ll be happy with a Maverick. I guarantee that there are plenty of guys here that can outshoot Mr. Creditcards Impact with their Mavericks.

very good points! 

the biggest thing keeps me only wanting the impact is the hammer is by the trigger and NOT right under my ear! I knew I would sell the Maverick in less than 5 shots! I still remember watching Matt Dubber specifically mentioned that having the action/hammer right next to the ear is very noticeable. And boy is he right on that mark, as soon i test fired the maverick I thought something is wrong, it sounded like the ping from unregulated guns. there simply is no way I would never get another bull pup with the action in my ear regardless how great edgun, agt or any other high end bull pups are. Call me sensitive but I like to hear when I turn 60. 

Of course the valve and many other adjustment plus after market support is unparalleled so needless to say I’m happy with my impact and the 300 dollar premium is well worth it! 

I do NOT have an Impact M3 but do own a Maverick Sniper in 30 cal. The Maverick has been very impressive and reliable so far. I have shot around 400 Hybrid Slugs and around 400 JSB Hades.

I have it tuned around 970fps at the muzzle with the hybrids at power setting 7, regulators at 180/150. This has been a very good speed for the hybrids with a 5 shot ES of 3 FPS. The nice thing is I only need to adjust power wheel to 2 and it is one hole with JSB Hades 44gr pellets are 40 yards.

I have the K&L Arca chassis. With my Arca Ball Head and tripod it is a hammer on squirrels and chipmunks from a standing position! 

If you really like to tinker I think the Impact M3 gives one more to adjust. I feel at least with the 30 cal the Maverick gives me all the power and accuracy I need! I cannot imagine the trigger being any better! I consider myself somewhat of a trigger snob with a KIDD 2 stage trigger in a 10/22 and a couple Sako TRGs. The Maverick 2 stage trigger is very impressive out of the box.

Reactions: tsktsk07
M3 Hands Down!.......No contest!........Is Far more Up-Gradable as most aftermarket Mfg's go for the FX MK-X platform.........Power Rules, and so do repeatable Valves as in two W/ Far better adj........

& the Safety is right at the trigger so you unconsciously after a while simply flip it on/off.............

Any Platform with the safety on the butt is for me, stupid & I will Not consider!

M3 Hands Down!.......No contest!........Is Far more Up-Gradable as most aftermarket Mfg's go for the FX MK-X platform.........Power Rules, and so do repeatable Valves as in two W/ Far better adj........

& the Safety is right at the trigger so you unconsciously after a while simply flip it on/off.............

Any Platform with the safety on the butt is for me, stupid & I will Not consider!

So how is your M3 shooting?

Sadly the MK3 is in .22 cal and although it is the typical FX Laser.........I have a .25 on Order.

A question as to how is a gun shooting has simply so many variables i.e. shooter skills pellets used FPS FT lbs, etc.......IMO it would better to seek the platform that excels in most if not all areas.........The Maverick is fine however for me, Not on the same level in many ways as I pointed out in the previous comments.

I have an M3 .25 Sniper and a Maverick .22. They are both great airguns. 

As for safety's I never user them. Safety is up to the shooter. Get some good training.