Tuning Maverick VP in .30 - my 2nd Maverick! NOW GIMME A TUNE, BOIS!

Hey Fellers, 

Got my 2nd FX gun this week which also happens to be my 2nd FX Maverick, this time a VP in .30 cal to compliment my existing .22 Sniper. I love this platform!

Anywho, I want 90-95 FPE out of it. Hybrids (44.5gr) at around 960-980fps. Will be a coyote hunting rig. I am thinking PW7, regs at 175/150.

Yay? Nay? Tips? Tricks? 

You took the words right out of my mouth!

I have a Maverick VP in .30 in route for the same task (yote gun), and I have 700 FX Hybrids, 300 Hades, 450 JSB Exacts and 175 NSA 54.5gr slugs, so I should have enough ammo to shoot for a few days! 😄

I found this video which says exactly what his tune was to get 960 out of FX .30 Hybrid slugs.

https://youtu.be/shyOpPJEfhY

yeah the round port is pretty big. Not worried about that. I just set my first reg at 175, 2nd at 120 and will increase pressure from there as I try to get to 90-95fpe. 

I suppose I should take this apart and look at the hammer? Can anyone confirm that the .30 cal Mavs should come with the 13g hammer from the factory? This has always ben my assumption. I thought the 11g was for 22/25. 

Please advise!

Ok, so I have a 56mm hammer spring and a 12g hammer. It looks like an 11g hammer with a little weight ring added onto it, but it weighs 12g total.

20220226_121629.1645916459.jpg

My hammer tensioner is the full 6mm out. At like 135 bar I get 935fps with the 44.8gr pellets. Any more pressure than that and it's a decrease in velocity.

Sounds like I need the 13g hammer to pop that valve open at 150 and get more power. 

I have a 13g hammer in my .22 Sniper. Should I just swap them? Can I still get 55 ft/lbs with the .22 Sniper with a 12g hammer? Or should I just buy the Huma kit for maximum tinkering?

Super true, Airgunmann. The sniper is DIALED. I shouldn't mess with it. 

I just ordered the Huma slug kit with pin probe, 13 & 14g hammer weights, valve & hammer springs. That oughtta do 'er. Hopefully the Russians don't invade the Netherlands and impede my shipment from Huma!

Get ready for even more Maverick footage on my YouTube channel now that I have the big dirty .30 in addition to the .22!

Throw me a sub! Trying to build the channel and help/entertain you folks! 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDpD0Lbd5eNKW8-FhJdMPXQ

Well.... against my better judgement I swapped hammer weights (12g from the VP .30 to the Sniper .22 and 13.25g from the .22 to the .30. I did this because I figured the order form Huma would take weeks to get here. I ordered over the weekend and apparently it will be here tomorrow (Wednesday)....

Then when I get the Huma kit I'll toss the even heavier 14.5g hammer into the VP .30. If the 12g works out for the .22 then so be it, otherwise it will get back its 13.25g hammer weight. 

I'll keep ya posted in this thread for other folks looking for the same info...